Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,045 times

Advertisements

So, I need some help. Basically, I will be starting my first career job outside of college in a few weeks at the beginning of April. It will be in the financial industry.

However, I won't have an apartment set up probably until May. Also, I want to wait until I pass my license test before I sign any contracts with an apartment. Until then, I need somewhere to temporarily stay that also won't put me into massive debt.

I have looked at some extended hotels in the area. However, the rating appear to indicate that they are unclean and pretty unsafe. Many state about drug deals going on, cars getting broken into, etc..

So, I'm at a loss of what to do. I have looked on Craigslist, but it appears most want someone to just take over there lease for a few months. I really just want a place for one month.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Maybe there are religious monasteries in the area who wouldn't mind lending someone housing for a fee temporarily? Maybe there is a place like the YMCA that does it (although I hear few YMCA's do that anymore).

I'm really desperate. Can someone here help me figure this out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:55 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
The Extended Stay in Concord - right in the Concord Mills area near 85 - is safe and affordable. I stayed there for a couple of months when I first moved down to CLT and it was both safe and affordable (this was in 2009, but I imagine it is roughly the same). It is right on the CLT line, so it isn't far from Uptown. Might be worth a look.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
First off Congratulations!

I have a suggestion (website) that you might what to check out.

It is: https://www.airbnb.com/s/Charlotte--NC (you can input any city).

You are able to rent a room (and sometimes a whole house) from individuals for a night or more (some rentals have special pricing for montly rentals). They also have a rating system you can check out.

Anyway just a thought.

Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhousingnc View Post
So, I need some help. Basically, I will be starting my first career job outside of college in a few weeks at the beginning of April. It will be in the financial industry.

However, I won't have an apartment set up probably until May. Also, I want to wait until I pass my license test before I sign any contracts with an apartment. Until then, I need somewhere to temporarily stay that also won't put me into massive debt.

I have looked at some extended hotels in the area. However, the rating appear to indicate that they are unclean and pretty unsafe. Many state about drug deals going on, cars getting broken into, etc..

So, I'm at a loss of what to do. I have looked on Craigslist, but it appears most want someone to just take over there lease for a few months. I really just want a place for one month.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Maybe there are religious monasteries in the area who wouldn't mind lending someone housing for a fee temporarily? Maybe there is a place like the YMCA that does it (although I hear few YMCA's do that anymore).

Old 03-18-2013, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
The Extended Stay in Concord - right in the Concord Mills area near 85 - is safe and affordable. I stayed there for a couple of months when I first moved down to CLT and it was both safe and affordable (this was in 2009, but I imagine it is roughly the same). It is right on the CLT line, so it isn't far from Uptown. Might be worth a look.
How far ahead did you book your stay? I tried looking to see if a room was avaliable. It said it was filled up for some reason.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 AM

I think it was booked maybe a month out. Try calling them directly. They were always helpful and they might have other similar properties nearby. Let me know if you need other suggestions - the 85 area of Concord is full of hotels, but I'm not sure if there are any other extended stays other than that one.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:27 AM

247 posts, read 378,443 times
Quote:
How far ahead did you book your stay? I tried looking to see if a room was avaliable. It said it was filled up for some reason.
Congrats on the job. I moved down for work and was in a similar situation as you.

This is where I stayed, it was generally quiet, safe an inexpensive. Stayed fo about a month and never had an issue.

Charlotte hotels, Suburban Extended Stay hotel Charlotte NC

Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM

Yep - the extended stay I'm referring to in Concord is that brand of hotels as well. If I'm remembering correctly, there is also one on Harris Blvd near the intersection of Harris and 77. That would be a good location as well.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:50 AM

537 posts, read 1,768,450 times
Quote:

Congratulations on your job!!!

When my SO worked out of town, he stayed in hotels every week. Because he knew he was going to be spending months on a project, he was able to negotiate with the hotel a discounted rate. Maybe you could do the same with a hotel you like and trust?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
There is an extended stay in pineville on park road behind Bi- lo and next to the 485 and mall. I just checked and there are lots of rooms to rent/share houses on craigslist under roomates/ rooms for rent

Old 03-19-2013, 10:28 AM

247 posts, read 378,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
Yep - the extended stay I'm referring to in Concord is that brand of hotels as well. If I'm remembering correctly, there is also one on Harris Blvd near the intersection of Harris and 77. That would be a good location as well.
That is correct! To be honest, the one in Concord seems a bit nicer (although I guess you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover) but all of the construction on 85 off Concord Mills Blvd would sway me to stay at the one on Harris, especially if the job is Uptown and you could take either 85 or 77.

Just my 2 cents, don't think you could go wrong either way.

I would have looked into renting a room - but since I moved with my company, that was not an option, since reimbursement was based on submission of itemized hotel reciepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte