Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times

Advertisements

Some of you might remember the announcement back in January where Rupert Murdoch of News Corp, bought the local stations WJZY (46) & WMYT (55) from Capital Broadcasting of Raleigh. These stations will become the first network owned stations in this metro. Murdoch owns the Fox Network, Fox News, and the Fox Business Channel.

As a result Fox will move from WCCB (18) in a few weeks. Today WCCB announced that it will become the new affiliate for the CW. WCCB Charlotte Becomes CW on July 1st Notice that WCCB has already purged all references to Fox such as FoxCharlotte, Fox News Rising, Fox News @ 10, etc. WCCB & WTVI are the only locally owned TV stations in CLT.

The last time that an affiliation change occurred in Charlotte was 1978. There are still a few unknowns. Charlotte may lose ThisTV, AntennaTV, and Murdoch is currently on the warpath with the court system and has threatened to pull Fox off broadcast if congress does not intervene in a case he lost.

Current Channel line up.
  • WCCB - 18.1- Fox Network (FoxCharlotte)
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
  • WJZY - 46.1 - The CW
  • WJZY - 46.2 - AntennaTV
  • WJZY - 46.3 - THIStv
  • WMYT - 55.1 - My Network 12
  • WMYT - 55.2 - Soul of the South (starting May 2013)
  • WMYT - 55.3 - Rented to Jimmy Swaggart for SBN

After July 1
  • WCCB - 18.1- CW Network
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
  • WJZY - 46.1 - Fox Network (presumably)
  • WJZY - 46.2 - AntennaTV ???? (unknown)
  • WJZY - 46.3 - THIStv ??? (unknown, most likely removed for Fox alternative)
  • WMYT - 55.2 - Soul of the South ??? (African American channel that is 2 years late, probably won't happen)
  • WMYT - 55.3 - SBN ???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Some of you might remember the announcement back in January where Rupert Murdoch of News Corp, bought the local stations WJZY (46) & WMYT (55) from Capital Broadcasting of Raleigh. These stations will become the first network owned stations in this metro. Murdoch owns the Fox Network, Fox News, and the Fox Business Channel.

As a result Fox will move from WCCB (18) in a few weeks. Today WCCB announced that it will become the new affiliate for the CW. WCCB Charlotte Becomes CW on July 1st Notice that WCCB has already purged all references to Fox such as FoxCharlotte, Fox News Rising, Fox News @ 10, etc. WCCB & WTVI are the only locally owned TV stations in CLT.

The last time that an affiliation change occurred in Charlotte was 1978. There are still a few unknowns. Charlotte may lose ThisTV, AntennaTV, and Murdoch is currently on the warpath with the court system and has threatened to pull Fox off broadcast if congress does not intervene in a case he lost.

Current Channel line up.
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
  • WJZY - 46.1 - The CW
  • WJZY - 46.3 - THIStv

After July 1
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
  • WMYT - 55.2 - Soul of the South ??? (African American channel that is 2 years late, probably won't happen)
Not a surprise there! It just seems like channel 18 is destined to only be either a low level network affiliate or be an independent station, because every time they carry a major network like abc or fox, they eventually lose network status!

Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

Current Channel line up.
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
  • WJZY - 46.1 - The CW
  • WJZY - 46.3 - THIStv

After July 1
  • WCCB - 18.3 - MeTV
Well, Rupert is making lots of money with the broadcast stations & it doesn't hurt the FCC if he pulls the stations. It will cost him, though, because he will be found to be at fault for the unemployment claims in many states. Someone else will step up & grab the airspace. Maybe Univision. . .

Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
If other markets are any indication, My Network 12 will probably change to My Network 55.

I wouldn't be surprised to see WSOC/WAXN pick up some content for a sub-channel, as they only have weather out there now.

Old 04-19-2013, 12:56 AM

It would be nice if Cox (WSOC/WAXN) did something more with its stations in Charlotte. I really don't understand the purpose of WAXN. It seems very underutilized.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if Cox (WSOC/WAXN) did something more with its stations in Charlotte. I really don't understand the purpose of WAXN. It seems very underutilized.
It seems that WAXN only exists to show programming that WSOC doesnt want! I wish that Charlotte would finally get its own local Univision or Telemundo affiliate, considering the Hispanic population is growing real fast in the Charlotte area!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Once WJZY switches to fox, I wonder if they will carry their own news operation? Channel 18 is still going to keep their news department and may expand their news programming! Cant wait until July 1!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 AM

The rumor is that Fox will produce a local news program for WJZY using it's local facilities for The Speed Channel off Harris Blvd. which I think is in or near URP. The current WJZY building isn't very large.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:29 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,322,505 times
He can pull all of the Fox stations. The English Premier League will not be on Fox Soccer Channel next year so I probably will not have a reason to watch any Fox stations. I may miss some Celtic matches but that's not a huge loss!

Old 04-19-2013, 06:41 AM

162 posts, read 401,136 times
Not sure why I'm having trouble following and understanding the change, but I am. So I'm a big football fan and of course watch the games on Fox. What channel will I turn on in September if channel 18 isn't FOX anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte