Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte94 View Post
I don't think you are right on this. TWC arena has done a lot for Charlotte, especially hosting an event seen internationally. The DNC was a major event for this city. CMS is a good venue but singling it out above others, especially when NASCAR & the NHRA have TV ratings that are terrible compared with the NFL. BofA Stadium has helped Charlotte with national publicity on a scale that CMS simply can not touch. You can look at it many different ways but, singling out CMS as the winner is not right.
I disagree with you. The two big races have more people attending them than the total attendance of BofA stadium and the TWC arena combined. They also just had the auto fair there and this event is so big, that it's difficult to see all of it in 2 days. This venue holds mega sized events compared to the other two. TWC arena is often lambasted because it's an inferior concert location to the Charlotte Coliseum. Even Obama didn't want anything to do with BofA stadium since you brought up the DNC.

I'll also note that Smith no longer sells out corporate naming rights. It's the "Charlotte Motor Speedway". Of the 3 venues, it's the only one with Charlotte in the name. Furthermore, outside this region, a lot of people get confused with where the Carolina Panthers might be located. More than once, I heard people sayt it is in Raleigh.

Of course, in terms of national exposure, the Speed Channel (now Fox Sports) located here in Charlotte due to the very presence of Nascar and the racetrack. CMS has been nationally known for a very long time. the TV show "Moving On", not only filmed here in Charlotte, but also set here in Charlotte, has several episodes that take place at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. This national TV program was on the air 40 years ago, long long before anyone knew anything else about Charlotte at that level. This show currently broadcasts nationally on retro TV which can be seen locally on 14.2.

I don't understand why so many people on this forum are against Bruton Smith and CMS. CMS is a huge asset to this area and I'm surprised that people would think otherwise. It brings Charlotte attention not only at a national level but at a global one as well because there are plenty of racing fans in Europe, and Asia who know about Nascar and know that CMS is an important part of it. Smith also is the CEO of one of the very few Fortune 500 companies in this area. Contrast this to Michael Jordan who rarely comes to Charlotte (he lives in Florida) and Richardson who just extorted $80M from the taxpayers under threat of leaving the area. Smith is the hero here, not those other two.

Last edited by frewroad; 05-05-2013 at 02:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:18 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Contrast this to Michael Jordan who rarely comes to Charlotte (he lives in Florida) and Richardson who just extorted $80M from the taxpayers under threat of leaving the area. Smith is the hero here, not those other two.
I like Bruton ok... but hero?!? Hardly. He is a bigger bully than Richardson and Jordan combined.

Richardson never said he would leave Charlotte, BTW. In fact, he said exactly the opposite.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Sounds like another nice opportunity to see Charlotte shine!

Link here

Lets not Hijack the OP thread or infraction may be issued

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I disagree with you. The two big races have more people attending them than the total attendance of BofA stadium and the TWC arena combined. They also just had the auto fair there and this event is so big, that it's difficult to see all of it in 2 days. This venue holds mega sized events compared to the other two. TWC arena is often lambasted because it's an inferior concert location to the Charlotte Coliseum. Even Obama didn't want anything to do with BofA stadium since you brought up the DNC.

I'll also note that Smith no longer sells out corporate naming rights. It's the "Charlotte Motor Speedway". Of the 3 venues, it's the only one with Charlotte in the name. Furthermore, outside this region, a lot of people get confused with where the Carolina Panthers might be located. More than once, I heard people sayt it is in Raleigh.

Of course, in terms of national exposure, the Speed Channel (now Fox Sports) located here in Charlotte due to the very presence of Nascar and the racetrack. CMS has been nationally known for a very long time. the TV show "Moving On", not only filmed here in Charlotte, but also set here in Charlotte, has several episodes that take place at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. This national TV program was on the air 40 years ago, long long before anyone knew anything else about Charlotte at that level. This show currently broadcasts nationally on retro TV which can be seen locally on 14.2.

I don't understand why so many people on this forum are against Bruton Smith and CMS. CMS is a huge asset to this area and I'm surprised that people would think otherwise. It brings Charlotte attention not only at a national level but at a global one as well because there are plenty of racing fans in Europe, and Asia who know about Nascar and know that CMS is an important part of it. Smith also is the CEO of one of the very few Fortune 500 companies in this area. Contrast this to Michael Jordan who rarely comes to Charlotte (he lives in Florida) and Richardson who just extorted $80M from the taxpayers under threat of leaving the area. Smith is the hero here, not those other two.
I don't think anyone would say that CMS is not an asset but, there is absolutely no reason to single it out as the best. Let's look at the math. The two large races attract about 180k fans per race (and that is generous for the fall race). Based on that, we'll say 400k people attend races annually. Throw another 100k for the allstare race and you get to 500k. The Panthers sell out BofA stadium for 10 games at 74k per gamem, that is 740k fans. Knowing that the stadium is not always full, 600k would be more realistic. Last I checked, 600k > 500K. As for Time Warner Cable Arena, it just celebrated the 10 millionth visitor, see below. Your math is wrong.

Time Warner Cable Arena to celebrate 10 millionth visitor | CharlotteObserver.com

In terms of national and international exposure, NASCAR is not even close to the NFL. Want evidence, the NFL earns way more annually in TV right than NASCAR. From an international point of view, NASCAR is not racing. F1 or even the American LeMans Series is more attractive. NASCAR cars are very elementary compared with international racing and folks just aren't interested.

Talking about owners.......Bruton Smith just filed a lawsuit to get $80m from the county. He is in no way a "hero". Its funny that anyone would say that about someone who threatened to move CMS to SC a few years ago because he did not get his way.

Charlotte Motor Speedway sues over $80M deal - ESPN
Charlotte Motor Speedway, Concord officials reach deal | www.thatsracin.com

Old 05-05-2013, 07:57 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
If you're talking about the SEC Network I'd imagine that has pretty much nothing to do with the X Games.

Does the speedway have anywhere to use that is indoors? I attended one of the X Games in Philly and a lot of events were held in their basketball/hockey arena. So hopefully they'd hold some events in the TWC Arena which of course would help show off uptown a little.
Exactly..... site lines are important and while CMS is good for Motorcross it wouldnt be ideal for every event. I aslo think its too far from Uptown and attendance would suffer due to its location.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 05-05-2013 at 08:07 AM..

Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I like Bruton ok... but hero?!? Hardly. He is a bigger bully than Richardson and Jordan combined.

Richardson never said he would leave Charlotte, BTW. In fact, he said exactly the opposite.
LOL at hero... Nascar peaked a few years ago. Its trending in the opposite direction right now.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:36 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,610,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
You cant host X games at the other two and why spread it out when X games is equipped. Charlotte Motor Speed way is the most recognize land mark. for the area and known for original action sports venue.

Considering ESPN is placing its network here more than likely we will be the chosen city.

I guess it depends how much Concord-Charlotte willing to pony up.

I read article Detroit offering 9 million and its paper is speculating venues in Detroit: Hart Plaza, Joe Louis Arena, Roosevelt Park, Ford Field, Belle Isle and the riverfront, where a new permanent skate park could be built. Detroit X Games Bid Chosen, City Is Finalist To Host ESPN's Summer Competition 2014-2016 You dont need a Skate Park because the X Games will bring there own ramps.

I could see Austin Texas Austin and Circuit of the Americas a finalist for Summer X Games | KXAN.com
winning it as Circuit of America has room for all the events that occur with the X games in addition it has an amphitheater for award ceremonies and such.
If this will be in Concord, don't ask Charlotte for money.

ESPN is placing the SEC Network in Charlotte, has nothing to do with X Games. It may help a little but, not a reason.

I agree that due to the size, CMS is a good location for these event and I would love to see it happen.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM

Sunny, you said you cant spread the games out then linked to the Detroit bid with multpile venue locations?

Anyways... CMS has the space but I dont know if they have the flavor for the XGames... usually they like urban backdrops.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:54 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
If Detroit is foolishly throwing $9M towards this event (like they have it to spend) and if the X games only wants a bribe, then IMO it won't be coming to this area.

On the other hand, Smith and his business partners might offer them something they can't get in Detroit such as good exposure to one of the fastest growing areas of the United States. I personally don't see any conflict with the X-games being associated with Nascar if that is what gets offered. There are a lot of compatibilities.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sunny, you said you cant spread the games out then linked to the Detroit bid with multpile venue locations?

Anyways... CMS has the space but I dont know if they have the flavor for the XGames... usually they like urban backdrops.
I link what Detroit offered, didnt say it was plausible or not.
The president of CMS stated this “We're honored to be one of four finalists,” said Marcus Smith, president and general manager of Charlotte Motor Speedway. Detroit doesnt have idea where as there ideas are so spread out.
However Detroit has been actively seeking this for awhile, and have a big social media following. They have over 3,879 FB followers, and was soliciting at the Winter X Games. https://www.facebook.com/XGamesDetroit

Far as urban there is nothing Urban in these pictures Look at the photo gallery Summer X Games 2013 Barcelona, Spain - X Games

Far as size and ready for use I would say COTA in Austin would be the likely choice and would help give recognition to a huge multi purpose facility that open last fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte