Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 47,603 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. Looking for some info. from folks who live in SCCL. I was recently in the area and someone told me (it's anecdotal so I can't verify its accuracy) that they met someone who was moving out of Sun City because she couldn't get into the clubs she wanted to join.

Don't know what she meant, but my husband and I looked at a 55+ community in Wilmington, NC a couple of years ago. A realtor got us a copy of the list of the clubs available to residents, and several of them said Full -- Waiting List only. I don't know if that's what this woman encountered. Have any of you heard about any of the clubs/groups (like Book Club, Garden Club, Poker group, etc.) being full and not currently available to residents? That's a concern, to me, if it's happening in some of these very large communities.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,371,012 times
Not sure how a Garden Club would be affected, which presumably would be held outside (???) but we had the same problem with Book Club. We had to cap it off in order for any intelligent conversations to take place. Solution? The women who couldn't get in started another club.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,217,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decgroup View Post
Hi Everyone. Looking for some info. from folks who live in SCCL. I was recently in the area and someone told me (it's anecdotal so I can't verify its accuracy) that they met someone who was moving out of Sun City because she couldn't get into the clubs she wanted to join.

Don't know what she meant, but my husband and I looked at a 55+ community in Wilmington, NC a couple of years ago. A realtor got us a copy of the list of the clubs available to residents, and several of them said Full -- Waiting List only. I don't know if that's what this woman encountered. Have any of you heard about any of the clubs/groups (like Book Club, Garden Club, Poker group, etc.) being full and not currently available to residents? That's a concern, to me, if it's happening in some of these very large communities.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
The person I'd suggest you get in touch with would be a poster on this site by the name of Rothbear.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...2.htmlRothbear

I noticed that you have spoken to them before on another question you had on SCCL's.

Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 07:39 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,876,595 times
Lovethecarolinas.........I'm here!

Decgroup........Most of the clubs here really have no limits on them as long as there is enough space in the meeting room (there are fire rules for capacity). That being said, there are some, but very few, that a larger group would lessen the experience for the members. A book club would be one of those, or something to do with games. Should that be the case, a second club is welcomed to be formed. All it needs is a couple people to apply and follow through with the protocols for forming a club. And that might be easier if one is already formed and the information is readily available. For instance, there are several Red Hatter clubs here, and there are several groups of different "game" groups. As an example, I know there are several Mah-Jongg groups. Seeing that it requires 4 people per table to play, it wouldn't make any sense to have 25 people. Or it can also be due to the size of the area that the club has been assigned. Again, using Mah-Jongg as an example, if they can only have 6 tables, then the maximum for that group at that time would be 24. Remember, there are many, many, many clubs that use the Lake House and the areas must be shared. In fact at the beginning of each year each club must submit to the activities director a request for their meeting time and space.

That being said, I find it odd that someone would sell their house and move over a club. If it was that important, then all they needed to do was find a few more people in the same predicament and form their own group. The best thing would be to talk to the activities director and ask his help in doing that. He may even know some others who are looking as well.

Also, once the second amenities center is built, there will be more meeting room space. And there are a lot of informal groups that actually meet at members homes. For instance one of my neighbors is part of a bridge group and also part of a book club of just people on our street.

Hope that helps! Please don't let this one thing deter you from consideration of SCCL.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:39 PM

Thanks, again, Rothbear for your informative answer! I didn't know they were planning a second amenities center. That's good to know! Yes, I agree that person probably had other reasons for moving and who knows what they were. I think a red flag went up with me because I had seen a list at another community with several clubs listed as "Full." Maybe that community didn't have an Activities Director (I don't remember) or maybe wasn't run as well as SC.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:28 AM
cpw

85 posts, read 162,113 times
My mom just moved to SSCL last summer. She has not experienced any issues with joining groups/clubs. She has joined quite a few. She was in one group that got large, so they split into two groups, beginner and advanced. She loves it there!

Old 05-30-2013, 01:38 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,876,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decgroup View Post
Thanks, again, Rothbear for your informative answer! I didn't know they were planning a second amenities center. That's good to know! Yes, I agree that person probably had other reasons for moving and who knows what they were. I think a red flag went up with me because I had seen a list at another community with several clubs listed as "Full." Maybe that community didn't have an Activities Director (I don't remember) or maybe wasn't run as well as SC.
Yes, there is a second one being planned, although it won't be as large as the Lake House. There is also supposed to be another pool there that will be adults only.

Was the other community a smaller one? Again it would probably be more to space availability, or fire code for capacity, that something would be closed. I know there are other much smaller Del Webb communities, and some bigger as well. And I'm sure that the activities building at a smaller community would also be smaller as well. Again, our activities director is always glad to help someone start a club or at least talk to them about it.

I am active in a couple of clubs and "joined" others (basically informational only), and I have never had any problems. In fact a lot of clubs actively recruit new people. Once we fully retire then we hope to become more active. Both hubby and I still work part time, but hopefully that will be done the end of next year.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:39 PM

Default Sun City's clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
My mom just moved to SSCL last summer. She has not experienced any issues with joining groups/clubs. She has joined quite a few. She was in one group that got large, so they split into two groups, beginner and advanced. She loves it there!
Thanks for your input!

Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,265 times
Default Sun City Carolina Lakes

Love love love it here. There is so much to do or if you choose - not to do.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:02 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowandblueskies View Post
Love love love it here. There is so much to do or if you choose - not to do.
You should start another thread and tell us more about where you live and why you are happy you made the move there. We get questions every so often and it would be helpful to have more info on individual experiences.

Also, the section on RETIREMENT here on City Data . . . folks there often ask about planned communities and what others think about where they live or the places they are considering. You might check out posting over there, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte