Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 02:51 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

AT&T copies Google, names 100 cities where it could offer gigabit fiber | Ars Technica

Unfortunately from the article, looks like Charlotte has missed out on Google Fiber so far. Looks as if Raleigh/Durham and Winston Salem will get it first.

Maybe AT&T will be more agreeable. They once had 6000-7000 employees here so there is some history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 05:12 PM

601 posts, read 964,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
AT&T copies Google, names 100 cities where it could offer gigabit fiber | Ars Technica

Unfortunately from the article, looks like Charlotte has missed out on Google Fiber so far. Looks as if Raleigh/Durham and Winston Salem will get it first.
Did you mean to say AT&T here?

Competition is always good, so I'll welcome AT&T. But if I have to choose between Google or Ma' Bell Jr., I'll be picking the former.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:51 AM

189 posts, read 333,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Maybe AT&T will be more agreeable. They once had 6000-7000 employees here so there is some history.
What from the article made you conclude that we missed out on Google? It's not so much a competition but the willingness of local governments and infrastructure in each city that Google considers. If all 9 they announced are strong in both then all 9 get it. They just want to make sure they don't hit any roadblocks like they did in other cities that were motivated by lobbying cable companies wanting to keep Google Fiber out for their own benefit. I think having RST lay the groundwork in all of NC puts our metros in a good position to gain fiber service whether from AT&T or Google.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Charlotte is the only metro in NC, previously selected, they are not in advanced discussions with, though I head rumors they night be talking to a couple of the lake communities.

I don't think AT&T would need RST Fiber.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:11 PM

60 posts, read 150,751 times
ATT already has a large presence in Raleigh, including large suppor tcenters, so "building out" fiber there isn't going to be hard.

Winston is a smaller city and would be easier than doing Charlotte.

I'm not impressed with ATT's claims.

And we are still on the list for Google fiber.

https://fiber.google.com/newcities/

Old 04-23-2014, 01:35 PM

416 posts, read 928,401 times
Who is the primary target consumer for these services? Commercial or residential? If they want a piece of the commercial market, not sure why they'd put fiber optics in lake communities.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:46 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandguy811 View Post
What from the article made you conclude that we missed out on Google? It's not so much a competition but the willingness of local governments and infrastructure in each city that Google considers. If all 9 they announced are strong in both then all 9 get it. They just want to make sure they don't hit any roadblocks like they did in other cities that were motivated by lobbying cable companies wanting to keep Google Fiber out for their own benefit. I think having RST lay the groundwork in all of NC puts our metros in a good position to gain fiber service whether from AT&T or Google.
I don't think that RST has anything to do with this. They started out laying fiberoptic cable from Shelby to the data center park in Kings Mountain.

Overview | RST Fiber Optic Network

Network Map | RST Fiber Optic Network

Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM

189 posts, read 333,994 times
I understand but not many states already have cable in the ground as vastly as us and in major metros. This has to make NC attractive to any company, whether AT&T or Google when considering markets to expand in. That was my only point bringing up RST.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:03 PM

834 posts, read 1,017,585 times
FYI: AT&T premium services need a FICO score of 500 or better..

Old 04-24-2014, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
FYI: AT&T premium services need a FICO score of 500 or better..
Can't blame them for that. I wouldn't want to do business, unless cash up front, with someone who couldn't meet even that low standard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte