Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 PM

9 posts, read 20,983 times

Advertisements

Where are you from in Dayton? i have a friend that lives in Charlotte now. You might be them. I agree on Dayton. It has gotten too much. I got away for school and I have been back now for 4 years. i have my experience and ready to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 AM

382 posts, read 1,888,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt22 View Post
Where are you from in Dayton? i have a friend that lives in Charlotte now. You might be them. I agree on Dayton. It has gotten too much. I got away for school and I have been back now for 4 years. i have my experience and ready to leave.
Check your private messages. I sent you a note.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:00 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Be sure to compare the cost of living between Dayton & Charlotte. I would not be surprised if Charlotte is more expensive. Alot of people move to Charlotte thinking that it is cheap (that it is not). Compare the salaries with the cost of living.

Good Luck with the move to Charlotte. You will LOVE it here.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
I wouldn't do it if I were you. You will not get that $90K of yours as salary...commissions might get you there. Not sure what insurance experience you have (life, health, property & casualty). If you want to continue being in your field, that is not quite as alive and kicking as in say Hartford, CT or California. I don't blame you for wanting to leave Dayton, and while Charlotte is nice and tony, it is not always kind to job lookers. If you want to go into manufacturing, they want you to have worked in manufacturing, even say you're working in finance. Same with retail. It is hard to cross industries and change careers. Weigh your options with care!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 20,983 times
Default Thanks Bibit

I hear you loud and clear. i know this is a BIG risk for me with the job I have and all. I have lived here most of my life. I need a change. Sometimes you need to just take risks. It may hurt me bad in the long run, and I have come to grips with that and I am ok with it. I feel confident in my ability to obtain some sort of job. I was not a bad waiter, although I hated it. But if im in a new scene doing new things and breathing some new air. I feel good about that. If it does not work out. Then I come back. Sometimes you have to say F-it and make a move!

Old 12-11-2007, 01:41 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,900,242 times
Hey, what the heck! Gumption and daring have gotten people in a lot of good places. Have faith, look up, and whatever Charlotte lacks in the job opportunity department, it makes up for in the general niceties of people.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:21 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt22 View Post
I hear you loud and clear. i know this is a BIG risk for me with the job I have and all. I have lived here most of my life. I need a change. Sometimes you need to just take risks. It may hurt me bad in the long run, and I have come to grips with that and I am ok with it. I feel confident in my ability to obtain some sort of job. I was not a bad waiter, although I hated it. But if im in a new scene doing new things and breathing some new air. I feel good about that. If it does not work out. Then I come back. Sometimes you have to say F-it and make a move!
This stance is not going to communicate professionalism to potential employers. They are going to wonder why you chose to leave a job without another one lined up. You can't just say "personal reasons" because they can take that a lot of ways (most of them bad...) You can't tell them you were unhappy with life in general in OH because they might think of you as a malcontent. It also doesn't show good planning and organizational skills.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to reconsider this idea. I am not trying to be discouraging, I just want you to be prepared. Many people move here with a "Utopian" view of the local economy/job market. Sure, it's better than many places. However, there are a lot of people still looking with no luck.

Remember, it's easier to get a job when you have a job!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:56 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,702 times
PLEASE,PLEASE do not go to Charlotte without a job lined up. Back in 2003 my husband and I left Cincinnati thinkng the same way you are. Oh we will go and get jobs,,blah,blah,blah..

Every week 500 people move to Charlotte (according to the local paper) --do you honestly think the job market is absorbing all these people? NO, most people transfer WITH a job or they are in HIGHLY transferrable jobs like medical, IT Engineering. Having a degree means nothing, Having an insurance liscense means NOTHING because a gang of people in Charlotte hustle and have licenses and are still broke. My husband tried the insurance thing and the South is big on connections. Even though a lot of new people are moving in you have to have a base of people you know.

Getting a "get by" job..lol good luck. Being from Dayton you don't see as much of this there but there are illegals everywhere and they work those jobs that most of us US citizens might want when money is tight. I had a $7.50hr retail job 30 hrs a week and hubby struggled to find a job.

I SERIOUSLY think you should call Manpower, Robert Half and Kelly and ask the recruiters what the job market is like. They WILL tell you and have better and more up to date info. There is also a slight 'attitude' from some of the natives not wanting all these new people taking jobs. 90K is hard to walk into in Charlotte.

Have you considered Dallas?

Old 03-23-2009, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
To all of you who want to move from Charlotte to Columbus Ohio unless it's for family reasons or you definitely have a good job up here, don't do it! Columbus Ohio had to cut back on their police department, and crime reigns here, very very bad! We are looking to move out of Ohio, because we don't like it here, people are rude, bad bad drivers,and act like a bunch of high school kids when they're 50 years oldJobs are hard to find here, unless you know the right people that can help you, I personally would stay where you are, at least until the economy gets better, moving near family may not be the right thing to do either, we came back up here for that reason, and now our kids have all moved out of state, again, we will be leaving asap as soon as one of us can get a realy good job out of state, not anywhere in the north.

Look at the demographics for Columbus Ohio crime, and see where they rate. Cincinnati and Cleveland are in the top 15, Columbus isn't far behind.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,200 times

1. The OP was planning to move from Dayton to Charlotte
2. This is an old thread 12-10-2007
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte