Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 PM

8 posts, read 8,694 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My family (Husband 30's, wife 30's, and 2 kids 4yrs and 2yrs) will be relocating to the Charlotte area and we are looking for advice on the suburbs. We have a budget of 150-230k to spend on a home. We are looking for a nice area with families that have children and good school district and nearby shopping (grocery and otherwise). I am looking for an area that doesn't have homes stacked on top of each other or with tiny lots. I understand that I'll probably have to work with a realtor on the home but just looking for a couple of towns to start off. I have started off looking at Indian Trail, Concord, Huntersville, Moorseville. If anyone has others, or general advice, please let me know. Thanks, HammerAway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 AM

115 posts, read 229,296 times
An important consideration is where you will be working. There are good places to live North, South, East and West. Commute is important - you can conceivably wind up in a long, bumper to bumper ride to and from work. Many areas have what you are looking for. Consider the lifestyle that you want too. There are many different choices: proximity to stores/restaurants, traffic, population density, what you like to do in your free time, etc. It is hard to make suggestions without knowing more.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM

279 posts, read 361,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiemovingtocharlotte1 View Post
An important consideration is where you will be working. There are good places to live North, South, East and West. Commute is important - you can conceivably wind up in a long, bumper to bumper ride to and from work.
I second this. If the job is in Ballantyne you probably don't want to live in Mooresville. If the job is in University City you may not want to live in Indian Trail.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:54 PM

8 posts, read 8,694 times
Thank you for the replies. I may have the option to work from home. So if the job was of no concern is there a certain area you would recommend? It seems like a lot of the areas I have been researching online generally recommend south of Charlotte.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:16 PM

193 posts, read 496,064 times
We moved to Mooresville 12 years ago and love it! My kids have gone to school K-9th so far, and we have had excellent teachers and really enjoyed all that the schools have offered as far as extra activities. I feel like we are close enough to make a quick trip to Charlotte, but far enough away from the everyday stress of a big city. Mostly we love Mooresville because of the lake access! My kids love to go out kayaking or hop on the paddle boards for some weekend fun! There's so much to explore in terms of Suburbs! I have many clients that have settled into Huntersville and Cornelius, Davidson is an especially cute quaint town. Knowing some more of your housing/neighbirhood needs may help to narrow down the search.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 PM

930 posts, read 2,162,231 times
We live in Indian Trail and really love it! Everyone has been so welcoming and I feel like we are near everything we need and aren't far from anything else that we want.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:20 AM

488 posts, read 799,255 times
I think all the areas you have talked about are nice but I think YOU need to come and check them out. I personally love North of Charlotte. I currently live in Huntersville but just bough a home in Davidson (SQUEAL - my favorite area anywhere!) and would not live in the south area. People in the south area would not move north LOL.

It is just a different flavor. Huntersville is a great place, we have a vibrant community and I am going to miss it. We are moving for reasons that don't effect most people (I have show dogs and need to be out of an HOA because I have reached the 2 dog maximum)

I think you need to spend time in each area and see what calls to you.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:06 AM

3 posts, read 4,309 times
Slakkie what breed do you show? We may be moving down and have 6 dogs, some retired show dogs. We will be working with a realator. We will be looking at the moors vile area as we want to be near the water

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM

115 posts, read 229,296 times
I agree with several of the above posts. You should spend a few days in each area if you can: Huntersville, Mooresville, Davidson, Concord, Indian Trail, etc. I don't live North but you did mention 2 places that are both North: Huntersville and Mooresville. I'm not sure if they are similar to one another. You do have the lake up there-I think that is a plus. Others who live North will chime in with their opinions. I live in Waxhaw (South). I do like it. It's peaceful and quiet but growing fast. There is still a lot of farm land. There is a wide range of housing. I am happy with the schools. I like the proximity to Ballantyne and Blakeney. The only drawback is that it is at least a 15 minute drive to many conveniences available in other areas. It really depends on what you want. Some would consider Waxhaw boring and out of the way. Others would consider Huntersville crowded. To each his own. Really think hard about what you want. There is an area for everyone. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:47 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerAway View Post
Thank you for the replies. I may have the option to work from home. So if the job was of no concern is there a certain area you would recommend? It seems like a lot of the areas I have been researching online generally recommend south of Charlotte.
If you don't have the option to work from home, where is the job? Uptown? Mooresville? Near the airport? Rock Hill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte