Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,154 times

Advertisements

All, my daughter is a 26yr old mother of 3 trying to get into nursing school. We live in fort mill, sc. She has a diploma in Medical Assisting. She is told that she may only receive 9000. in aid of a 35000 tuition. We desperately in need of scholarship options. But when we apply; all we get is request to apply and enroll in online schools and no promise of assistance. We know no one in the nursing field I am appealing to this forum to please lead us in the right direction for aid. Thanking you in advance.
Slimjen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,553,480 times
There are many types of financial assistance. Scholarships are few and far between these days.

Has your daughter actually been accepted into a nursing program? If she has, the thing to do is to talk to a financial aid officer on campus.

You do realize that there are people lined up for years trying to get into all the nursing schools in the region? There are no "waiting lists" -- you have to keep re-applying annually. I am not a nurse, but my understanding is that there are some courses you can take as pre-requisites while waiting to be officially accepted into a nursing program. The tuition is very reasonable at community colleges which would offer those pre-requesites.

But back to the financial aid . . . you are not going to be able to line up financial aid (or scholarships) to particular colleges BEFORE you are admitted. Do NOT count on scholarships as the states have cut way back on any programs offering scholarships/grants. Concentrate on being admitted to a program. That in itself may take you three years or possibly even longer.

As far as "online" programs . . . this is not the way to go. Research all the community colleges and hospitals in the region and find out where there are nursing schools and follow the steps they outline for admittance into their programs. Talk to the chairs of the nursing departments at each school (or their assistants) and find out what courses she can get NOW.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:18 PM

71 posts, read 87,684 times
I am an RN, BSN. There is a waiting list at every accredited nursing school I have heard of. I went to school in Md before everyone decided to go into nursing, and it was competitive then too. My advice would be to take her FAsFA money and start prerequisites at a community college. It's usually a good two years full time of those BEFORE she will ever take a nursing course. And, as far as an online school...I don't know of one that realistically can allow a person to become a nurse, especially an RN without being an LPN beforehand. An associate degree RN will be a great start, perhaps even able to take LPN boards after the first year of actual nursing and clinical instruction. LPNs can take online classes as well as do clinicals to work towards an RN license, but not every state board of Nursing recognize them. but I am pretty sure there are no accredited programs of study that will make you any sort of licensed nurse legally with only online coursework. It's setting up failure. Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,350,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjen1 View Post
All, my daughter is a 26yr old mother of 3 trying to get into nursing school. We live in fort mill, sc. She has a diploma in Medical Assisting. She is told that she may only receive 9000. in aid of a 35000 tuition. We desperately in need of scholarship options. But when we apply; all we get is request to apply and enroll in online schools and no promise of assistance. We know no one in the nursing field I am appealing to this forum to please lead us in the right direction for aid. Thanking you in advance.
Slimjen
She needs to focus on getting admitted somewhere and getting her FAFSA form submitted in a timely fashion. Has she looked into York Tech? USC Lancaster? Is she a CMA(AAMA) and employed and if so, does her employer offer tuition assistance? Plus what Ani said....

Old 09-10-2014, 02:31 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,691,855 times
If she had residency in Mecklenburg County, a 2 year degree at CPCC for RN costs far far far less than $35K. Plus, it's easy to transfer this to UNCC if one wishes to work towards a masters. It might be worth moving.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:43 AM

930 posts, read 2,163,123 times
Some schools, like UNCC, admit to the nursing program on a point basis. Students are given points for various things. One thing that hurts your points is if you have taken courses at another college. UNCC gives you points for taking the courses at their school. When my niece starting college 4 years ago, my sister was ill, so I went to SOAR with her. That is what UNCC calls orientation. The person in the nursing meeting that we went to, I'm not sure what her title was, actually told us that a girl had 30 credit hours with a 4.0 GPA and had transferred into UNCC for nursing from a community college and didn't get in to the program because she lost the points she would have received had she gone to school there. My niece had been in the program at high school where you go to high school and college at the same time. I can't remember what it's called, they don't offer it here anymore. She entered UNCC as pre-nursing. Then the college changed the criteria for getting into the program and didn't grandfather the students already in pre-nursing in. She had to change at that point, as a lot of people that she knew did, because there were too many classes that she would have to go back and take that weren't requirements before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte