Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,670 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!

I am a 27yo single female relocating to Charlotte from Indianapolis. I will be working in Ballantyne, but am pretty set on living in the South End area. Now for the hard part - where to live!?

I've never been to Charlotte so it's difficult to get an idea where to start! I plan to take a trip in May/June to get a feel for the city and possibly another visit to lock down an apartment. I will be moving towards the end of August.

I'm a social person and would like to be around other young adults to mingle with and hopefully meet some friends. I want to live in an area where I can walk to stores, restaurants, coffee shops, etc. Living on my own in a new city as well as traveling frequently for my job, I want to be in a secured, safe building. I would like to stay near $1000/mo if possible. Any apartment complex recommendations (or ones to avoid) would be a huge help!

Thank you!! I can't wait to experience all Charlotte has to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 01:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,224 times
Hello! I'm going through the same process. 24 year old single female moving to Charlotte for a job in Pineville (near Ballantyne) from South Carolina where I'm in grad school, originally from Virginia.

I was looking for something at $700/month and really loved the South End area but I'll tell you from experience, it's pretty much impossible to find that in South End for what you're looking for, unless you get a roommate. One-bedrooms and even studios will be >$1000/month, unless you don't mind living way down South Blvd, so not technically South End but still on the Lynx. I ended up getting a 2-bedroom in the Elizabeth neighborhood with a friend of a friend (not on the Lynx, but still very close to Uptown and pretty walkable). I'm moving next month. I'd suggest looking in Elizabeth, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, and NoDa. South End is just so expensive - but a great area! And I know I'll end up spending a lot of time there...just wanted to open you up to other neighborhoods around Uptown that are a bit more affordable

Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM

5 posts, read 10,631 times
Im relocating there as well. Going to check the city out the 2nd weekend in May. Hoping to find sone good areas/apartments to rent

Old 04-16-2014, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZWE View Post
Hello! I'm going through the same process. 24 year old single female moving to Charlotte for a job in Pineville (near Ballantyne) from South Carolina where I'm in grad school, originally from Virginia.

I was looking for something at $700/month and really loved the South End area but I'll tell you from experience, it's pretty much impossible to find that in South End for what you're looking for, unless you get a roommate. One-bedrooms and even studios will be >$1000/month, unless you don't mind living way down South Blvd, so not technically South End but still on the Lynx. I ended up getting a 2-bedroom in the Elizabeth neighborhood with a friend of a friend (not on the Lynx, but still very close to Uptown and pretty walkable). I'm moving next month. I'd suggest looking in Elizabeth, Chantilly, Plaza Midwood, and NoDa. South End is just so expensive - but a great area! And I know I'll end up spending a lot of time there...just wanted to open you up to other neighborhoods around Uptown that are a bit more affordable

I'm in a similar position, considering moving down to Charlotte from Brooklyn, NY. I'm a 24 single guy.

I'm just wondering how you settled on Elizabeth? What's the neighborhood like in terms of pricing and how far from Uptown would you estimate it is?

Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM

21 posts, read 63,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawldawg15 View Post
I'm in a similar position, considering moving down to Charlotte from Brooklyn, NY. I'm a 24 single guy.

I'm just wondering how you settled on Elizabeth? What's the neighborhood like in terms of pricing and how far from Uptown would you estimate it is?
Elizabeth is a nice inner city suburb, Only about 1.5 miles from Uptown Charlotte. It will be accessible via streetcar in less than a year. It has a nice collection of restaurants, and is accessible to all kinds of city amenities.
Its very close to Plaza Midwood and Uptown
Elizabeth Community Website

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 AM

2 posts, read 8,213 times
Couldn't remember my log-in, so made a new username. I settled on Elizabeth after looking farther south for 1-bedrooms and realizing everything in my sub-$700/mo price range was kinda disappointing. I finally gave in and decided to get a roommate, who I know through mutual friends, and turns out she's been living in Charlotte for a year and knows that area pretty well, which is how we narrowed it down to Noda, Elizabeth, and Plaza Midwood. I found Elizabeth to be closer to my price range, and had a lot of the features I wanted. Only downside is a longer commute, but I'll take that in exchange for affordable rent and a great neighborhood close to Uptown.

The person above me mentioned it's 1.5 miles from Uptown...I'd say in terms of driving that's like 5 or so minutes? Not including time to find parking. And there are bars and restaurants within walking distance of my apartment in Elizabeth too, which is great.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwei2 View Post
Couldn't remember my log-in, so made a new username. I settled on Elizabeth after looking farther south for 1-bedrooms and realizing everything in my sub-$700/mo price range was kinda disappointing. I finally gave in and decided to get a roommate, who I know through mutual friends, and turns out she's been living in Charlotte for a year and knows that area pretty well, which is how we narrowed it down to Noda, Elizabeth, and Plaza Midwood. I found Elizabeth to be closer to my price range, and had a lot of the features I wanted. Only downside is a longer commute, but I'll take that in exchange for affordable rent and a great neighborhood close to Uptown.

The person above me mentioned it's 1.5 miles from Uptown...I'd say in terms of driving that's like 5 or so minutes? Not including time to find parking. And there are bars and restaurants within walking distance of my apartment in Elizabeth too, which is great.
jzwei2 - What were some of the apartment complexes you looked at and thought were in the best locations or strong contenders? I've also been hearing many good things about the Elizabeth area, but am not too familiar with the area. I am planning a visit in two weeks and wanted to look in to a few places before visiting.

Thanks, again!

Old 05-01-2014, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 18,248 times
MovingMJ:

I am also moving to Charlotte, but in June. I'm 30 and a single Female and will be working uptown so I decided to live in uptown after looking all over the SouthEnd. There are some really neat apartments in the SouthEnd. I haven't lived in any, but by visiting many my favorites were:

Post SouthEnd
Mosaic SouthEnd

Post is probably more affordable, and they are all within walking distance to a few bars and restaurants. Post had studios around 900-1000 and I think Mosaic was a little more. Post has World of Beer as a tenant in the building and Tavern on the tracks is right there as well, which is a popular bar. They are both right on the light rail so you can hop onto that to get into uptown easily for more restaurants and bars and what not.

Further south I really liked the Fountains, but its not really next to much other than the light rail, but if price is a factor, it is more affordable. 335 apartments were also nice and within a longer walking distance to some restaurants.

You might also check out Park and Kingston, which have studios starting around $950 I think; they look nice, but weren't open when I was looking.

I decided on uptown because of proximity to work and I worried that there were a lot of recent graduates at some of the South End apartments, but I might have the same thing in uptown.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-18-2014, 10:37 AM

6 posts, read 7,877 times
Default Where in Elizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydavisfan21 View Post
Elizabeth is a nice inner city suburb, Only about 1.5 miles from Uptown Charlotte. It will be accessible via streetcar in less than a year. It has a nice collection of restaurants, and is accessible to all kinds of city amenities.
Its very close to Plaza Midwood and Uptown
Elizabeth Community Website

Hi!! I am moving to CLT soon and I was wondering what apartments do you recommend in the Elizabeth area? Thank you!

Old 05-21-2014, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 8,213 times
Sorry I'm just seeing this now! I'm not an expert on the neighborhood. Ridgeway 32 is the only complex I know by name in Elizabeth, besides Metro 808. It's an older neighborhood so there's a lot of buildings converted to apartments and small bungalows for rent, which appeals to me since I come from Richmond which is an older city. I would search "Elizabeth" on the Charlotte Craigslist and see what comes up. If nothing appeals to you in Elizabeth, I would look at Dilworth - it's really similar, but closer to South End. Good luck! I'm moving this weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte