Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:54 AM

82 posts, read 406,587 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on any additional costs/fees/charges I should expect to pay living in the Charlotte area. I'm referring items like HOA fees, parking costs, insurance etc. We live in an area that's pretty straight forward concerning taxes and such. We have nothing in the way of user fees, HOA fees or parking fees. I'm trying to get a better idea of cost of living differences other than food, gas, housing etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,215 times
Annual vehicle tax. Very small food tax in Charlotte. Many people are avoiding parking fees if they work uptown by utilizing our new light rail.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:02 PM

379 posts, read 646,148 times
Where do you want to live in Charlotte? Uptown cost differ from suburbs.
HOA fees depend on ammenities. Assume anywhere from $240 to $1000 or more a year.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Food tax? Is that on groceries or restaraunt? Currently we're looking at living in the burbs but not set yet. How is the light rail working out or too early to tell?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:22 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,215 times
NC doesn't have a grocery tax; Charlotte does and it's like 2 percent or something only on certain things. I spent $100 at the grocery store and the food tax was $1.50. Light rail has proven very popular and convenient (due to high gas prices) except for some ticket machine problems.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:36 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,741,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISTOMOVE View Post
I was wondering if anyone would care to comment on any additional costs/fees/charges I should expect to pay living in the Charlotte area. I'm referring items like HOA fees, parking costs, insurance etc. We live in an area that's pretty straight forward concerning taxes and such. We have nothing in the way of user fees, HOA fees or parking fees. I'm trying to get a better idea of cost of living differences other than food, gas, housing etc. Thanks.
In order to get a correct answer you need to advise what you are paying for specific items (ie a regular gallon of gas TODAY is around 3.05 - 3.09 in the charlotte area.) However gas is considerably cheaper in SC.

When you say the "charlotte area", do you mean uptown? do you mean union county? do you mean S. Carolina??

give more specific info and your bound to get better answers. hope this helps

Old 01-10-2008, 07:25 AM

On this forum I am looking for info specific to NC, not SC (which may come sooner rather than later but I'll go to the SC forum for that). I'm not trying to compare gas or food costs. What I'm trying to find out are some of the "other" costs to living in North Carolina/Charlotte area (meaning Charlotte burbs). As Charlotte has a lot of transplants, I was hoping they could provide some insight. Thanks for the info so far though. It's been helpful. Oh and by the way, I'm paying 3.15/gal for gas here.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 PM

252 posts, read 880,315 times
Quote:
On this forum I am looking for info specific to NC, not SC (which may come sooner rather than later but I'll go to the SC forum for that). I'm not trying to compare gas or food costs. What I'm trying to find out are some of the "other" costs to living in North Carolina/Charlotte area (meaning Charlotte burbs). As Charlotte has a lot of transplants, I was hoping they could provide some insight. Thanks for the info so far though. It's been helpful. Oh and by the way, I'm paying 3.15/gal for gas here.
Most condos and town houses have a monthly HOA fee of anywhere from 100-250 depending on the price.. My condo fees are 175/month on a 110,000 condo. Town home HOA on a 250,000 town house are 195/mo. On a home anywhere from 150-800 a month depending on the subdivision and prices of the homes. Garbarge is included in taxes unless you want an extra can (45/quarter) Water is costly, electric is cheap, natural gas a little higher. Hope this gives you a little more insight .. BTW Not much public transportation in the burbs

Old 01-12-2008, 12:22 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,955,454 times
Not all areas in Mecklenburg county have garbage picked up for free.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:28 PM

672 posts, read 1,832,542 times
Quote:
In addition to the car tax a year, which depends of the make/model and year of your vehicle, it could range from around $100 to $700 roughly. Gas prices are a little lower then 3.15, more around 3ish a gallon but also you will find it to be slightly cheaper in SC. Unless you are considered zoned in Charlotte, which my subdivision is not, the cost of garbage pick up is around $60 per 3 months. Also I am unsure of where you live right now, but charlotte does have state income tax, which for me was a big change coming from Dallas. My electric bill is roughly $100 a month, $50 a month for water, and right now b/c of the winter $170 for gas. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte