Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 11:33 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,967,701 times

Advertisements

So husband and I are scoping out Charlotte area and having a difficult time deciding on towns. Several times I've heard to avoid all of eastern Charlotte. That seems vague and like a large area to simply rule out. I've also heard places like Matthews and Indian trail are desirable. Any insight on if this is true or not. Should we stick to the west side of Charlotte. We have a 5 year old so safety is needed. I've been told Cornelius is nice as well as Davidson. They seem pricier than some of the other places we've looked at though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 12:21 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,467,449 times
Where are you going to be working (location wise)? There are nice areas all over the Charlotte metro but the commute can be awful if you select the wrong area.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,351,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
So husband and I are scoping out Charlotte area and having a difficult time deciding on towns. Several times I've heard to avoid all of eastern Charlotte. That seems vague and like a large area to simply rule out. I've also heard places like Matthews and Indian trail are desirable. Any insight on if this is true or not. Should we stick to the west side of Charlotte. We have a 5 year old so safety is needed. I've been told Cornelius is nice as well as Davidson. They seem pricier than some of the other places we've looked at though
For the most part the prices are a good indication...if the prices are lower, there's usually a reason, most often it's lower rated schools or rough commutes. Other than a few pockets, for the most part safety is not a big concern IMO in the closer-in suburbs outside of Charlotte. Within Charlotte itself there are more iffier areas, although a lot of those areas still have nice-looking homes.

When people say avoid "eastern Charlotte," they're referring to Charlotte itself. Matthews and Indian Trail are not Charlotte, and Indian Trail is not even in the same county as Charlotte...both are fine towns. Although there are some neighborhoods considered East Charlotte that are popular now. Same with your comment about the "west side of Charlotte." Most people agree that "West Charlotte" itself is not too great. But there are towns west of Charlotte (again in a different county) that are fine.

Within "Charlotte" itself, the most popular area is South Charlotte. I personally define South Charlotte as basically anything south of uptown between South Blvd and 74, although I know that's not really the official definition.

Within the entire Charlotte area, I'd guess the most popular places at the moment would be something like this:
-South Charlotte - including Ballantyne, SouthPark, etc.
-Fort Mill/Indian Land
-Union County, particularly western Union County such as Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw
-Lake Norman area - including both Mecklenburg and Iredell counties (and sometimes Lincoln) - primarily Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson/Mooresville
-the closer-in parts of Cabarrus County - such as Harrisburg and the areas near Highland Creek

But those areas particularly the parts of those towns zoned to the highest rated schools can be pricey. After that, there are some places that offer some good value IMO, but they may be a little further out or the schools are not the highest rated. Such as Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Concord, Belmont, SW Charlotte, etc.

But as the previous poster mentioned, where you look will often depend on where you are working as the Charlotte metro is pretty spread out.

Old 07-11-2015, 02:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,829,165 times
Honestly, check out the crime mapping tool on charmeck.org It will aid you in weeding out the areas along with house prices etc.

There are great areas to fit budgets/wants in every direction in and around Charlotte. You really can't go wrong, so instead focus on where the job will be and ask for suggestions around that job location.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:22 PM

199 posts, read 384,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
For the most part the prices are a good indication...if the prices are lower, there's usually a reason, most often it's lower rated schools or rough commutes. Other than a few pockets, for the most part safety is not a big concern IMO in the closer-in suburbs outside of Charlotte. Within Charlotte itself there are more iffier areas, although a lot of those areas still have nice-looking homes.

When people say avoid "eastern Charlotte," they're referring to Charlotte itself. Matthews and Indian Trail are not Charlotte, and Indian Trail is not even in the same county as Charlotte...both are fine towns. Although there are some neighborhoods considered East Charlotte that are popular now. Same with your comment about the "west side of Charlotte." Most people agree that "West Charlotte" itself is not too great. But there are towns west of Charlotte (again in a different county) that are fine.

Within "Charlotte" itself, the most popular area is South Charlotte. I personally define South Charlotte as basically anything south of uptown between South Blvd and 74, although I know that's not really the official definition.

Within the entire Charlotte area, I'd guess the most popular places at the moment would be something like this:
-South Charlotte - including Ballantyne, SouthPark, etc.
-Fort Mill/Indian Land
-Union County, particularly western Union County such as Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw
-Lake Norman area - including both Mecklenburg and Iredell counties (and sometimes Lincoln) - primarily Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson/Mooresville
-the closer-in parts of Cabarrus County - such as Harrisburg and the areas near Highland Creek

But those areas particularly the parts of those towns zoned to the highest rated schools can be pricey. After that, there are some places that offer some good value IMO, but they may be a little further out or the schools are not the highest rated. Such as Matthews, Mint Hill, Indian Trail, Concord, Belmont, SW Charlotte, etc.

But as the previous poster mentioned, where you look will often depend on where you are working as the Charlotte metro is pretty spread out.
^^^^^ what this guy said follow everything he said

Old 07-12-2015, 04:50 PM

Thank you for clearing up the confusion. I just couldn't imagine the entire east side (including the burbs) was untouchable areas for families. We want to scope out some towns for now, look at real estate and get a feel. We are coming up for 6 days in Sept to check out the towns of interest and then go from there. My husband is finishing his BA in Finance so once we have a feel then we can start applying for jobs and at least know some towns that are good for our family.

Prices are dirt cheap compared to where we are. We live in one of the most (if not THE most) expensive town in Fla. Average starter small tear down homes are starting at $275,000 and we can't find any single families in our district for under $250,000. We've found several in towns like Mint Hill, Mount Holly and Cornelius for under $200,000. We'll have almost a 50% down payment on anything under that price and so we can afford a pay cut if it comes to that. Thanks for your info! Most helpful

Old 07-12-2015, 05:56 PM

488 posts, read 799,397 times
It will be impossible to get into Davidson (with Davidson schools) for $250,000, you are looking at $300,000 minimum and even at that it will be very hard to find. Huntersville and Cornelius are probably more in your range and are wonderful areas.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
It will be impossible to get into Davidson (with Davidson schools) for $250,000, you are looking at $300,000 minimum and even at that it will be very hard to find. Huntersville and Cornelius are probably more in your range and are wonderful areas.
Great to know thank you for the tip!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:36 PM

193 posts, read 496,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Great to know thank you for the tip!
Sorry, but not really true that you cannot find a home in Davidson under $250. A lot will depend on your criteria, but Summerswalk and Bradford are both neighborhoods that currently have listings within your price range. Yes, you may have to give on the size of the lot or size of the home (both of which I do not know your preference) but sometimes locations and schools trump all! You would also be able to find something in Huntersville and Cornelius, although the school districting gets a little more confusing, so be mindful.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:14 PM

488 posts, read 799,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
Sorry, but not really true that you cannot find a home in Davidson under $250. A lot will depend on your criteria, but Summerswalk and Bradford are both neighborhoods that currently have listings within your price range. Yes, you may have to give on the size of the lot or size of the home (both of which I do not know your preference) but sometimes locations and schools trump all! You would also be able to find something in Huntersville and Cornelius, although the school districting gets a little more confusing, so be mindful.
I do not consider those really DAVIDSON, yes they are in the area but they are more Huntersville/Highland Creek area which again is fine (I live in Huntersville now and love it). You move to Davidson for the large lots and close to downtown. You will not get real Davidson for 250,000, we are actually moving to Davidson and it is more like $400,000 is the starter price.

I prefer the Gilead Road section of Huntersville over the Summer's Walk - you get more bang for your buck and the schools are still very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte