Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:41 AM

156 posts, read 309,650 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone!!

Looks like we will be moving this summer. We visited last year and really like the area around Rea Road; specifically Marvin Creek. Can you give me any other suggestions for developments similar to Marvin Creek in that area...looking for a home on a larger lot with lots of amenities & very child friendly. Looking to spend around 500K.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 08:27 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Good morning everyone!!

Looks like we will be moving this summer. We visited last year and really like the area around Rea Road; specifically Marvin Creek. Can you give me any other suggestions for developments similar to Marvin Creek in that area...looking for a home on a larger lot with lots of amenities & very child friendly. Looking to spend around 500K.
thanks
You'll have many choices in your price range. I would also suggest you look at The Reserve and Providence Downs in that area. Good luck!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,751 times
[quote=MovingLItoNC;23414191]Good morning everyone!!

thanks[/QUOTE

Large lots that is what we were looking for...we ended up in Hunter Oaks.
Providence Downs will have some
Also look at Canterfield Creek - this is a really nice area, we liked it a lot but there wasn't anything open that fit us, they only had one house for sale when we were looking. They have nice size lots and the layout is nice too. It's almost across the street from Marvin Creek.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:16 PM

Does Canterfield Creek have an amenities center? We would really love something with a pool so my family can socialize and meet other kids in the area.
Where is the Reserve??

thanks again for your help!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 PM

BTW - Are there any areas to avoid? Please pm me if this info would be considered not allowable.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:34 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,370,288 times
LOL. There's no "hood" in Marvin. If that's what you're asking. There are no mean streets of Marvin to speak of.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM

I meant the surrounding areas...Waxhaw, Monroe, South Charlotte, the neighboring areas of SC.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:18 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLItoNC View Post
Does Canterfield Creek have an amenities center? We would really love something with a pool so my family can socialize and meet other kids in the area.
Where is the Reserve??

thanks again for your help!
Yes they do, and a field with soccer net/lacrosse nets and a park, and Marvin elementary us walking distance and they have a playground when school is not is session. (referencing Canterfield Creek)

The Reserve has 2 sides both have entrances off Crane Road, just past New Town Road, on your way down Crane to reach the high school and middle school. Not far from Rea Road. They also have a pool and a ton of kids in the neighborhood as well.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 AM

30 posts, read 74,215 times
We moved to Waxhaw from Central Jersey three years ago and currently reside in Providence Downs. We have two kids (ages 5 and 9) who attend Marvin Elementary. The school is highly rated and the parent participation is high. I do like our development very much and it is completely kid-friendly (our street alone has 33 school aged children on it!) In my opinion, Providence Downs is beautifully maintained and the amenities are nice (underused, but nice...clubhouse w/ small gym, playground, standard pool, tennis/basketball courts and athletic field). There are only two cautions I would give you regarding this development. If you're looking to purchase (and there are many beautiful, estate homes in here for sale), stay away from the "main drag" of Man of War Drive. Since the schools were built, cut-through traffic has increased dramatically making it a dangerous street for children to be around. There is currently a Homeowner Petition circulating requesting a vote on gating the entire community. Also, we have a contentious HOA situation which has been on-going for several years and is tiresome to say the least. Tensions revolve around how money should be spent and the future plan of the community. It's my understanding that most HOA's in larger developments often deal with these types of issues and it's not out of the norm, but it is something to consider.

When we searched for homes in 2008, we also looked at Marvin Creek (great amenities but rather sterile and cookie-cutter with highest HOA fees at the time) and Hunter Oaks (nice amenities but very densely populated). Providence Downs South had great promise, but unfortunately, the builder has declared bankruptcy and there are far too many empty lots over there for my comfort level. Also, I would thoroughly research any development located in the Village of Marvin (The Reserve, Chimneys at Marvin). The Village does not provide any services, yet you would incur a tax living in their boundaries. The Village just built a park (oddly enough not in the Village of Marvin) at great expense and tried to forcibly annex parts of Providence Downs as an obvious "money grab" which was soundly defeated by residents.

Good luck with your move and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:43 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,186,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
LOL. There's no "hood" in Marvin. If that's what you're asking. There are no mean streets of Marvin to speak of.
The streets of Marvin only go as far as moody, grumpy, and PMS. Nothing "mean".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte