Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2015, 02:26 PM

9 posts, read 15,268 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

A little about me - I am a 40 yo single Indian man who currently lives in DC. I am considering relocating for my job to either Charlotte or San Fran. I like Charlotte over San Fran since its on the east coast, for its lower cost of living, and being a newer, cleaner, planned city. However, I am concerned about the dating scene based on the mixed reviews I have read online.

For anyone familiar with Charlotte, what is the dating scene like there for someone in the 30's and early 40's? Also, while I am open to any race, I am curious what the Indian single population is like. How open are people there to diversity?

Also, I would like to live close to uptown. I have heard that uptown area is best as there are lots of professionals who work in the uptown area and also its vicinity to UNC Charlotte. Any specific neighborhoods you recommend?

Thank you much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 06:39 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I think the best advice anyone could give you is to plan a weekend (or longer) trip down here to see for yourself. You owe it to yourself to experience Charlotte before moving here. There is a decent Indian population here, but my experience shows me they mostly live in the University area. Take that with a grain of salt as I have limited interaction with Indians.

My personal suggestion would be to come down for a week and see if you really like Charlotte enough to want to move here. Cost of living isn't everything. If you're unhappy, you can't fix that with lower rent or whatever.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 15,268 times
Thank you, that's good advice. I am open to any race at this point of my life but point taken. Nothing like experiencing it firsthand.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
You're welcome. I'd caution you against moving anywhere without spending some time there. If it's a career move, then that's one thing. If you're picking a place, check it out. I've met several transplants who do nothing but complain about Charlotte and how it isn't like "back home", no matter where it is.
\
Come visit before making a decision.

Old 07-10-2015, 09:55 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,294,597 times
Lots of Indians living in Ballantyne as well.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,592 times
I agree with Spankys BBQ. You should come down for a visit before you move here. Charlotte is a great place in its own right, but it is not a major city on the level of SF or NY. I think you can be happy here if you accept this city for what it is AND isn't. I am single and I've found dating here a little difficult, but that doesn't mean my experience will be your experience. I'm in my early 40s and I think dating can be a little more difficult at that age regardless to where you are.

I have a wonderful but small social circle that I've had for many years here. They are great, but I do think it is a little difficult to meet new folks here. While the diversity and international community is growing every year here, it is not the same as other places. I agree that being near uptown is a good choice. The great thing about Charlotte is if it isn't happening enough for you, the cost of living is affordable enough (compared to some other places) that you will be able to take vacations to some of your favorite places.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

JM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: