Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,390,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrharris View Post
So you also see these developments as generic? So, why do you defend them so much? Don't you want the housing market to increase in Chalotte?
I'm not defending the developments. I'm defending Charlotte, if I'm defending anything. My point is you act as if these developments are unique to Charlotte, when they clearly aren't. My other point is that railing against the universe on an insignificant internet site is beyond pointless. You're not going to change anything.

I've asked multiple times...if you like NODA, Midwood and Dilworth, why don't you live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:00 AM

343 posts, read 601,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I'm not defending the developments. I'm defending Charlotte, if I'm defending anything. My point is you act as if these developments are unique to Charlotte, when they clearly aren't. My other point is that railing against the universe on an insignificant internet site is beyond pointless. You're not going to change anything.

I've asked multiple times...if you like NODA, Midwood and Dilworth, why don't you live there?
I'd like to know this as well. Seems like it could be a solution to your troubles/concerns/worries.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
I know there's been similar threads on the real estate forum about this...

chrharris, do you think the people that buy these homes prefer to live in developments with no trees and where all the houses look exactly the same and they can see their next door neighbor out their window? Most likely not. But they make that sacrifice because to them, having those aspects are worth being able to afford a larger and often newer (not that newer is always better) home than if that were not the case. As long as that continues to be true then developments like these will continue to be built (which as has been said is certainly not unique to Charlotte).

I don't really see the problem with having the garage on the front though. I see a lot of houses where the garage doesn't face the front and it looks like it'd be hard to make the turn from the driveway into the garage.

If you want a home with "character," there are plenty of those at affordable prices in places like Concord, Gastonia, Belmont, Mooresville, etc. But the houses will be older. And there are plenty of new construction neighborhoods in the Charlotte area as well that don't put the garages on the front and where the homes don't all look the same, but the price point will be higher.

If you're looking for a new, custom home in a walkable neighborhood then you're going to have to pay $500K or whatever for a teardown in Dilworth and then build a new one. You're not going to get it for the same $200K or so that gets you a house in Mint Hill.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:39 AM

106 posts, read 149,165 times
To be fair to the OP (I'm new to this whole thing) the dilemma of wanting a quality home with a quality "neighborhood infrastructure" is that they are becoming wickedly expensive and unless you can dish out for a $200K+ home it's nigh impossible to get anything that isn't dilapidated.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:55 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,725,598 times
Quote:
Yes, the garage in the front is called a garage home. My own term!

Here is some straight data that you don't even need to look up. Dilworth, Midwood and Noda. All increased in value. And your probably going to throw out the "location" comment that everyone else does. The location was built around the housing that was already there. If you build homes that attract that type location then you will increase the values of the homes you are building. If you build houses that look Cheap then you will attract nothing else and your house values will decrease. You don't need "Data" to see this.
I think you're missing something. This has been going on for centuries. You can find areas in Charleston that look remarkably like buildings in Olde City Philadelphia because during the colonial era the same architects were working from Philadelphia south. They have character because those buildings survived over time.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Campsalot View Post
To be fair to the OP (I'm new to this whole thing) the dilemma of wanting a quality home with a quality "neighborhood infrastructure" is that they are becoming wickedly expensive and unless you can dish out for a $200K+ home it's nigh impossible to get anything that isn't dilapidated.
Actually I think that's exactly the criticism of OP. He lives in a middle-tier suburb (not knocking Mint Hill as I live in the area and like it), but seems to expect custom homes with city amenities at a low price.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:05 AM

106 posts, read 149,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Actually I think that's exactly the criticism of OP. He lives in a middle-tier suburb (not knocking Mint Hill as I live in the area and like it), but seems to expect custom homes with city amenities at a low price.
Ah, tbh I just skim OP's posts.

He's got good and valid points, but why with all the bellyaching? OP, find an intellectual/professional chat group or lecture group to nerd out on this stuff with. That's what I did...

Old 07-31-2015, 05:50 PM

343 posts, read 686,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I actually love Mint Hill also, I just don't want it destroyed by the generic construction like the rest of Charlotte.
I guess because of the people here that is impossible to create a small town with a little character. The knowege and artistic vision is not in the area. Sad, but true.

Correction like most of the rest of Charlotte. My intention is good.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:45 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,390,928 times
Quote:
I actually love Mint Hill also, I just don't want it destroyed by the generic construction like the rest of Charlotte.
I guess because of the people here that is impossible to create a small town with a little character. The knowege and artistic vision is not in the area. Sad, but true.

Correction like most of the rest of Charlotte. My intention is good.
Yes, it's definitely everyone else's fault.

Again, if you don't like the appearence of Mint Hill, why did you move there, and why don't you move to Dilworth, or NODA, which you admit you like better?

Old 07-31-2015, 08:30 PM

343 posts, read 686,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksuther View Post
I'd like to know this as well. Seems like it could be a solution to your troubles/concerns/worries.
When I move again it will be out of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte