Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:39 PM

159 posts, read 157,029 times

Advertisements

Look at the pictures, I see cute little town in these pictures of what East Charlotte could be, Really, I wish.

Who thinks this is what Charlotte is capable of building in East Charlotte? I don't see anything like these pictures anywhere in Charlotte. OK, maybe the small strip of Midwood that will soon be wiped out with a new development project.

http://charlotteeast.com/wp-content/...Update_3.0.pdf

Last edited by Ahh Life; 12-09-2015 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Word correction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:36 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,358,610 times
Weren't you just complaining about them putting in another shopping center and park?

Old 12-09-2015, 03:48 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,952 times
I agree that it seems ambitious. What's as amazing is that the general response to this plan was "think bigger"! I love the fact that they are adding a school and really hope they push the envelope with linking greenways and providing more outdoor space.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Weren't you just complaining about them putting in another shopping center and park?
If they build what's in those pictures, it doesn't look like another wal-mart type shopping center. But, it want look like those pictures it shows, guaranteed! when it gets built, it will be another big box shopping center.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
This picture attached, do you think Charlotte has the design ability to build something like this in East Charlotte? Do you believe they will if they did have the ability and knowledge?
Notice the details of the picture such as pavers on the road instead of asphalt. Charlotte doesn't build like this.
Notice the buildings are design like an old very charming small town, Charlotte doesn't build like this.
Notice the details even like trash cans. Charlotte will not put in trash cans that have any design to them.

I'm just saying, these are the things I complain about Chatlotte on here and then they show it, but they want build it like that. What they build will not be what is in that picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Wow, this is what East Charlotte could be?-image.jpeg  

Old 12-11-2015, 12:15 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,324,412 times
Do you think all of Charlotte looks the same, or? It sounds like you haven't traveled very far outside of your house.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:43 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,072,952 times
I agree with Ahh life that the initial finished project will not likely look like those pictures. That said, I think they are reading too much into the photos. I believe they weren't chosen with much thought. We don't have many palm trees here. I think the point was that they are envisioning activity, but wasn't impressed with it as anything but vague imagery.

Ahh life - Have you ever seen pictures of Queens Road or Dilworth about 100 years ago? The area was largely treeless. Just pastureland. The picture below is the Entrance to Myers Park in what would today be considered one of the most iconic and attractive streetscapes Charlotte has to offer. You can find the relocated gate at the corner of 4th and Queens. It's amazing the consider what a mature canopy can do for the feel of an area. Yes - this even includes current construction sites like Eastland Mall. Surely, none of us will be around for the peak result, but I would encourage you to think forward to the future instead of complaining about the current state along the way.

Until then, perhaps you can come up with some designs for trashcans and start a service group. I would bet there are other people like you that would be interested in donating time/effort to that small improvement if it means a lot to you.

Then:

Now:

Old 12-11-2015, 06:44 PM

645 posts, read 1,070,622 times
Was anyone in this forum actually living in Charlotte twenty years ago? Until The Nations Bank (now BOA)building was finished, uptown was a pretty scary place. In place of all of those pretty condos and apartments between Trade and 7th street was ramshackle public housing. Graham Street in uptown was absolutely awful.

More positive change will arrive in the East Side. It's moving down Central Avenue.

Upscale apartments are going up along Central, and HT got a major face and butt lift a couple of years ago. Little Italy will be demolished to make way for something new. Not much will happen at the Eastland tract until change creeps to Eastway and Central. That's when more upscale apartments and condos will replace what is between Eastway and Eastland now.

Last August, I sold property for about 60% more than I bought it for in 2007 (before the real estate crash).

Overambitious? I don't think so. If Graham Street can go from a shooting gallery alley and a drug-infested nightmare to what it is now, the East side can recover as well.

To the nay-sayers: keep your fingers and eyes crossed.

Old 12-12-2015, 03:19 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,691,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post

Who thinks this is what Charlotte is capable of building in East Charlotte? I don't see anything like these pictures anywhere in Charlotte. OK, maybe the small strip of Midwood that will soon be wiped out with a new development project.
It will never happen.

The same yoyos who developed that plan were last seen advocating for the city to buy Eastland Mall for a hugely overpriced amount, so it could be turned into a movie studio which was going to revitalize East Charlotte. And we all see how that turned out.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It will never happen.

The same yoyos who developed that plan were last seen advocating for the city to buy Eastland Mall for a hugely overpriced amount, so it could be turned into a movie studio which was going to revitalize East Charlotte. And we all see how that turned out.
Agreed, I called it years ago when the first talks of Eastland mall of it being tore down.
I see the pictures of a a small cute town appearance they could build in those pictures. It will not look like that if they build retail on this site. It will look like a Walmart shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte