Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 07:02 AM

24 posts, read 47,506 times

Advertisements

I am looking to see what internet providers there are other than Time Warner Cable. Unfortunately, in the Steele Creek area, AT&T U-verse is not available for some reason? Are there any other choices?

Granted, I don't really have many problems with TWC Internet. However, I was going to also sign up for whole home DVR/TV service. I love how Time Warner Cable put a full page ad recently in the Charlotte News & Observer basically stating...."Yeah we get the jokes about us and we know we pretty much suck!". However, TWC now offers one hour install window times and are "better than ever" with customer service and pricing! I risked giving them another try. I figured I could save more over DISH TV since I already have Intelligent Home and Internet with TWC.

I first start an online chat to inquire about getting the TV service which I thought would take maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It turned into a 45 minute chat where I had to be transferred to a different department three times only to be told in the end we cannot help you since you have Intelligent Home and you have to call this 800 number.

I called next day (already ignoring the warning signs with the chat) and they did work a pretty good deal including TV with my other services I already have. She stated they would be out the next day between 2 and 3PM. TWC automated system called next day (day of install) at 1:00PM to verify my appointment and if I would be home; which I advised I would be. At 4:30 PM I never heard anything and began to wonder if they forgot about me. So, I called TWC (of which I was on hold for several minutes), and she did see the work order active and said tech was to be at my home by no later than 3PM. She would call dispatch and they would in turn call me very soon to give me an ETA. It now goes onto 5:45 and I never heard back. Therefore, I try calling TWC and get a message that hold times are between 14 and 20 minutes and I can get a call back. About 20 minutes later I do get a call and the gentleman on the phone is very apologetic and says he has no idea why this is now going on over three hours late! He said he would escalate it again. About 45 minutes pass, and a guy from dispatch finally calls me back to say..."well, looks like we won't get to you today. We can come out on January 7th!" I told him to forget and just cancel the order. I took off work and waited all day and keep getting the run around. He said he cannot cancel order, he has to transfer me. A bit passes then a supervisor calls. I give her the whole spill and to cancel. She cannot cancel the order, I have to talk to another department but told me to hold the line. I held for a few minutes and got aggravated and hung up. I am still trying to cancel the order.

So, I ask the question, is there really anything worse than Time Warner Cable? I guess they are even worse than ever. Therefore, I want my internet and home security system from TWC out of my home as well and would love to hear what others are using in South Charlotte for these services. I wish Google Fiber would hurry up and get in town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 07:32 AM

653 posts, read 783,418 times
TWC stinks!! I had a promotional deal for 12 months that expired this month (December 2015). I got a call from one of their representatives sometime near the end of November explaining that my promotion was coming to an end and they were offering me a new promotion, for another 12 months. In all, they were offering me the whole home DVR, plus some of the Premium Channels, on top of everything I already had. All this for only $20 more every month. I was paying $137 and my new bill would be $157.

When I got my first bill after the new promotion, it was for $640!!! I was on the phone with them for hours until they finally admitted that it was an error on their part. You see, the representative who called me in November for the new promotion gave me all the upgrades, but he never "coded" my account as a promotional value. So I ended up with a $640 bill in the mail. They fixed the issue going forward and now I'll be paying $150 monthly. They reduced my bill from $640 to $248. Big drop, but I still didn't know why I was paying roughly $90 over what I was told over the phone ($157). Turns out, they charge $91 for the technician to come out to your home and install the Whole Home DVR, so I paid for the technician ($91) and my bill as promised ($157).

Granted, they fixed everything, but imagine my surprise at getting a month's bill for $640 in the mail!! I wish we had better choices in Indian Trail, but TWC seems like the best service right now for our location.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:00 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,165,050 times
TWC signal still drops after years of complaining, no light in sight.
Since everytime they say it is my equipment, I have changed about 4 different modems and routers and their signal still drops and/or slows down.
I'm suppossed to get 100Mbps but I'm lucky when I see 60Mbps (sometimes) and many times goes down to 5Mbps or nothing at all.

Terrible service and I hate calling them since I need at least 60 minutes of my time with no result at the end, just me buying latest equipment again with no improvement. During years of phone calls they send a "technician" once in a while who ends up saying he will let them know to check the main line (nothing wrong with my house setup)...but nothing changes...

Lack of competition in our area (DSL is worst) is what keeps me hostage with TWC, in Waxhaw we don't have other choices.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:04 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
I've found TWC to be much better than MI-Connection (in the Lake Norman area). And it's pretty much the same as Comcast which I had in other states.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,069,694 times
No.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:57 AM

24 posts, read 47,506 times
I was FINALLY after being on the phone (again on hold for 20 minutes) and being transferred two more times able to get my order cancelled. I figured out that TWC really stands for TOTAL WOTHLESS COMPANY.

I plan on sending letters to the CEO and Board members. I doubt it does any good. But in case you all are interested:

Corporate Leadership | Time Warner Cable

Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,286 times
No, there is no internet service worse than TWC. And as long as they are the only available provider, they can continue to suck. I hope that another service comes your way soon!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:17 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
I don't use cable but I have no problem these days with their internet service. Outages are rare and the free speed increase to 100 Mbps downloads has been great. Whenever your promotional rate runs out just call them and they'll give you another one.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:59 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
I posted a year or so ago about being thankful that I was able to cancel Time Warner cable. They have to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. (except maybe Sprint)

I have ATT Uverse for internet and use an antenna for TV (also subscribe to Netflix). I do have to call ATT every year to threaten that I am going to cancel my Uverse so they will extend my promotional price.

I can't wait for Google fiber!

Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CLTGUY View Post
I am looking to see what internet providers there are other than Time Warner Cable. Unfortunately, in the Steele Creek area, AT&T U-verse is not available for some reason? Are there any other choices?

Granted, I don't really have many problems with TWC Internet. However, I was going to also sign up for whole home DVR/TV service. I love how Time Warner Cable put a full page ad recently in the Charlotte News & Observer basically stating...."Yeah we get the jokes about us and we know we pretty much suck!". However, TWC now offers one hour install window times and are "better than ever" with customer service and pricing! I risked giving them another try. I figured I could save more over DISH TV since I already have Intelligent Home and Internet with TWC.

I first start an online chat to inquire about getting the TV service which I thought would take maybe 5 or 10 minutes. It turned into a 45 minute chat where I had to be transferred to a different department three times only to be told in the end we cannot help you since you have Intelligent Home and you have to call this 800 number.

I called next day (already ignoring the warning signs with the chat) and they did work a pretty good deal including TV with my other services I already have. She stated they would be out the next day between 2 and 3PM. TWC automated system called next day (day of install) at 1:00PM to verify my appointment and if I would be home; which I advised I would be. At 4:30 PM I never heard anything and began to wonder if they forgot about me. So, I called TWC (of which I was on hold for several minutes), and she did see the work order active and said tech was to be at my home by no later than 3PM. She would call dispatch and they would in turn call me very soon to give me an ETA. It now goes onto 5:45 and I never heard back. Therefore, I try calling TWC and get a message that hold times are between 14 and 20 minutes and I can get a call back. About 20 minutes later I do get a call and the gentleman on the phone is very apologetic and says he has no idea why this is now going on over three hours late! He said he would escalate it again. About 45 minutes pass, and a guy from dispatch finally calls me back to say..."well, looks like we won't get to you today. We can come out on January 7th!" I told him to forget and just cancel the order. I took off work and waited all day and keep getting the run around. He said he cannot cancel order, he has to transfer me. A bit passes then a supervisor calls. I give her the whole spill and to cancel. She cannot cancel the order, I have to talk to another department but told me to hold the line. I held for a few minutes and got aggravated and hung up. I am still trying to cancel the order.

So, I ask the question, is there really anything worse than Time Warner Cable? I guess they are even worse than ever. Therefore, I want my internet and home security system from TWC out of my home as well and would love to hear what others are using in South Charlotte for these services. I wish Google Fiber would hurry up and get in town!

Ugh! That sucks! I'm moving to the Steele Creek area next week from Boston and it's good to know ahead of time what I'm getting myself into ahead of time. I really wish the area had Verizon Fios!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte