Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Nyc Vs Charlotte Nc
Nyc 1 50.00%
Chalotte 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 11,157 times

Advertisements

Ok So Ill be Very Descriptive so i can get accurate & detailed answwrs.
Im a single 20 year old mother of a 1 year old boy. ( my sons father is uninvolved and has also signed over his rights). I currently reside in Va but want to give my son a better life. My mother & father have been very supportive. Despite getting pregnant in high school i was able to complete My AAS in Nursing & then conplete my Bachelors through a part time bridge program while also gaining 1 year of ER experience. My Aunt has offered us her paid off apartment in The Crown Heights area of BK for a reduced rent of 700$. I have 2 job offers at 2 hospitals in NYC. Lenox Hill & New york methodist. ( i already endorsed my RN License) I HAVE NO STUDENT DEBT BTW.

THEN I GOOGLED CHILDCARE COSTS & THE COST OF LIVING & WAS LITERALLY SHOCKED INTO QUESTIONING EVERYTHING. I WAS ALSO TOLD BY OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS NYC ISNT IDEAL FOR SMALL CHILDREN.

So i need a plan B ! My mom is giving me 6 months to get it together before she goes off to raleigh for retirement.

How's Charlotte in terms of Healthcare jobs? Average salary for a RN with 1 year experience?
What are some hospitals in charlotte?

Average Rent for a 2 bedroom Apartment or small rental home?
Do i need a car in charlotte? Or can i sell it? (Its paid off)
Whats A good neighborhood in charlotte with parks,activities,schooling.libraries, church & affordable childcare, and maybe a short commute time to a hospital?
How's crime in charlotte? Is it rampid?
What's the best way for me & my son to relocate to charlotte?
Is there assistance in charlotte for single mothers if my salary is not enough to help? ( i have WIC here in Va but want to get off)
how is racial relations in charlotte? Im mixed with black & white btw. Is there any really diverse areas, or areas with alot of affluent blacks?
how about a comissary? My dad is a Vetran & i have an ID is there a base where i could continue to do my shopping?
I have 7k in savings is this enough to move?

Last edited by Kaylakjg; 02-28-2016 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: More details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 11,396 times
"So I need plan B"...... Baby's born already, too late for that.
Are you getting child support from the father? If not you should. I'm always perplexed as to why people have a child out of wedlock first then try to figure out how to support themselves second. I think that your lifestyle would fit better in NYC. God Bless

Old 02-28-2016, 08:09 PM

Nice joke there jake, and no im not recieving a penny from him. I never put supporting me and my son second ive always matained a job to support the us. I had my child out of what was thought to be love but soon thereafter realized was not sorry if a mistake " perplexes " you. Thanks for your blessings anyway. Clown.

Last edited by Kaylakjg; 02-28-2016 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Grammar.

Old 02-28-2016, 10:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,578,937 times
I was a single mom for many years and it's no picnic. I recommend that you either move to Raleigh to be near your mother or stay in NYC if you have family nearby. Having family close that can help you will be a lifesaver. What will you do with your son if he is sick and you have to work that day, car breaks down, etc.?

I wouldn't move to Charlotte (or Raleigh) without a job lined up. I have a few friends that are nurses and there are jobs available but there is a lot of competition for the good jobs.

Your sons father should be paying child support. Child support is for the good of the child and should be required. Even if your sons father is not involved with your son he should help to provide for him.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:25 AM

145 posts, read 156,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I was a single mom for many years and it's no picnic. I recommend that you either move to Raleigh to be near your mother or stay in NYC if you have family nearby. Having family close that can help you will be a lifesaver. What will you do with your son if he is sick and you have to work that day, car breaks down, etc.?

I wouldn't move to Charlotte (or Raleigh) without a job lined up. I have a few friends that are nurses and there are jobs available but there is a lot of competition for the good jobs.

Your sons father should be paying child support. Child support is for the good of the child and should be required. Even if your sons father is not involved with your son he should help to provide for him.

Good luck whatever you decide.

There are nursing jobs in charlotte. Working at the hospitals sucks. 20-25 an hour. They are understaffed and nurses are treated like crap but that goes with the job. Childcare is much cheaper in charlotte than in NYC. NYC is a nightmare for single parenting! The weather is nicer in NC. I would get child support also! I would look into getting your masters to become a NP. The pay is much better!

Old 02-29-2016, 04:10 AM

3,980 posts, read 2,579,846 times
You sound like my niece. She got her CNA in high school and started a nursing program soon after. She married her high school boyfriendand they have a four year old son and a daughter on the way. She decided to study business administration and is also a administrator at a blood bank.

You sound very ambitious just like her. I believe her son makes her more motivated to excel in her career. Listen to your gut you know what you can do and what is best for you. Other people will give you advice and its importance to listen to it because other points of view opens you to information you wouldn't had. But trust yourself in the end. I say this because it sounds like you have succeeded well already at your young age.

Most of all believe in yourself.

Best wishes

Old 02-29-2016, 07:40 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,359,862 times
$700 in NYC seems like a great deal if it's in a decent area. It will be tough to get a 2 BR apartment in a decent part of Charlotte for less than $1000 or so. Child care should be less here, but there's a very good chance the salary will be lower than your offers in NY.

In most places of Charlotte you will need a car. I'd imagine you could sell it if living in NYC. That combined with the previous paragraph and you might still be better off in NYC. Speaking of which, will your aunt still be in the area? Would she be able to help at all with your son? As mentioned above, it will be very tough as a single mom if you don't have any family around to help. Would your mom help if you moved to Raleigh?

As far as some of the other questions...there are part of Charlotte where the crime rate is not the greatest, but if you are in a decent area it's not bad. For the most part race is not a huge issue here, but I'm not sure if there are any "really diverse" areas, the University area is probably the most diverse IMO (and there is a hospital there). Can't think of any areas with a lot of affluent blacks though. And no commissaries in Charlotte.

If you are dead set on moving and don't want to be in NYC or Raleigh, maybe Atlanta would be a better choice. Probably more areas with affluent blacks, likely easier to live without a car than Charlotte if you live/work near the train, and I think there is a commissary there.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:33 AM

Thank you so much i think im going to go to nyc & no she's retiring to pensacola Fl also ..

Old 02-29-2016, 09:37 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,934,959 times
Why just Charlotte or NYC, go where you are offered the best job. A nurse's salary in NYC is not going to go far, plus $700 is great deal for now, but renting from family, especially at a steep discount could go wrong quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte