Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 PM

24 posts, read 107,452 times

Advertisements

I am having my house(about $550k) built with a 3rd floor recreation room. This room have a closet built in. The builder will charge $7500 for adding a full bath. So, I do not want to add it now. But wonder whether this will be a bad point for resale purpose. We already have 4 full baths(3 at 2nd floor and 1 at 1st floor).

If we hire a contractor to add a full bath at 3th floor, how much it will be considering we have no pipe line at all at 3rd floor?

Another question is: is it important to have a granite countertop at kitchen? At present, I do not have enough money to have everything upgraded, like wood floor, granite countertop, lighting, bath...

Please give me some suggestion at what we have to do at construction time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2006, 01:47 PM

77 posts, read 404,967 times
Granite countertops would be expected by many people buying your home at that price range. They are also the greatest countertop ever!!!!!! They are standard equipment in my home! Many are a true work of natural art.

The third floor bathroom is also great for resale because someone could make it a second master BR or an in-law suite. It is probably cheaper to add it now. If your builder would just do the rough in (put the pipes up to the room but do not connect them), this would be the best solution, but many builders will not do this.

Good luck

Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,987,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sche012 View Post
I am having my house(about $550k) built with a 3rd floor recreation room. This room have a closet built in. The builder will charge $7500 for adding a full bath. So, I do not want to add it now. But wonder whether this will be a bad point for resale purpose. We already have 4 full baths(3 at 2nd floor and 1 at 1st floor).

If we hire a contractor to add a full bath at 3th floor, how much it will be considering we have no pipe line at all at 3rd floor?

Another question is: is it important to have a granite countertop at kitchen? At present, I do not have enough money to have everything upgraded, like wood floor, granite countertop, lighting, bath...

Please give me some suggestion at what we have to do at construction time.

Thanks!
I just got done having to use a pumice bar scrubbing the mineral deposits from my hard water out of three toilets as I don't want company coming here tomorrow to think I'm a domestic pig...the less toilets...the better! Seriously, four full baths is enough. I don't think adding another on the third floor will help, and what would be the point of putting a "full" bath in that room anyway? No one would use it, even a prospective buyer. Waste of money. As far as granite countertops...I have thought about having mine done, but it's expensive...though..I like to cut right on the counter and I would like that kind of surface to roll dough on, slice on, easy to wipe, etc. There are other options though that look very nice. The only counter surface I dislike is a tiled surface with grout. That is just asking for trouble both for usage and for cleanliness.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Seems like Granite is a must

Thank you all!

Seems like Granite is a must. The builder will charge about $5000. How about doing it later on by the contractor? How do you plan to have yours done? Only kitchen or include master bath? How much will it cost if you have them done?

Sorry for so many questions.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:57 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
I agree -- as a realtor I think in that price range people expect granite, in particular for newer homes. If you are planning to stay awhile, you can wait to do the granite; I would just suggest you do it before you sell. As for the third floor bath, my opinion is that it is not necessary but definitely nice to have. If you can swing it financially I would say do it now.

Best of luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving all!

Old 11-22-2006, 02:58 PM

33 posts, read 201,493 times
Don't think of $5000 as the "cost of granite". Think of it as the difference between the cost of alternative (Formica, Corian, etc.) and the cost of granite.

Your builder has already built the price of the alternative material into the cost of the house. Let's say it's $6000. The $5000 will cover the upgrade to granite, which has a total cost of $11,000 ($5k + $6k = $11k).

If you had the alternative installed now for $6,000 and then rip it out in a couple of years, you will have to pay a contractor Full Price for Granite, which, in my example above was $11,000, bringing your total cost to $17k for granite.

So what's better:
1) Spending $5k more now to upgrade to granite.
2) Ripping out a perfectly good $6k Corian counter top and then spending $11k to have a new granite counter installed a few years from now?

Old 11-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Happy Thanks giving all!

I had though the full price for the granite at kitchen is about $5k. Thank you for the info. Happy Thanksgiving all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_M View Post
Don't think of $5000 as the "cost of granite". Think of it as the difference between the cost of alternative (Formica, Corian, etc.) and the cost of granite.

Your builder has already built the price of the alternative material into the cost of the house. Let's say it's $6000. The $5000 will cover the upgrade to granite, which has a total cost of $11,000 ($5k + $6k = $11k).

If you had the alternative installed now for $6,000 and then rip it out in a couple of years, you will have to pay a contractor Full Price for Granite, which, in my example above was $11,000, bringing your total cost to $17k for granite.

So what's better:
1) Spending $5k more now to upgrade to granite.
2) Ripping out a perfectly good $6k Corian counter top and then spending $11k to have a new granite counter installed a few years from now?

Old 11-22-2006, 06:06 PM

221 posts, read 746,713 times
Default granite

I agree, granite is a must! All the gourmet kitchens come with it. As for the 3rd bathroom. YOu have more than enough and honestly if adults & kids cant walk down a flight of stairs to go to bathroom, thats pure laziness.
Please, no more bowls to clean!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Hardwood floor

Hi,

I have decided to use Granite Countertop.

Now, I am thinking to upgrade living($1600), study/Guset Suite($1600) and family room($2800) to hardwood floor. We have chosen hardwoord floor for dinning room($1600).

How do you feel the price? Are they reasonable?

As you know, it is a $550k house. I have no kids and dog. I have tight budget. Do not want to spend extra money.

Thanks.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:50 PM

140 posts, read 590,419 times
When upgrading to hardwood, a few things you should consider. First, if you are on a slab, you are probably, or should I say you are not, getting real 3/4 inch hardwood, you will be getting 3/8 inch laminate. There is a profound diference bewteen the two. laminate can not be sanded and refinished from scratches etc... Real hardwood can. One is real wood, the other is not. Also, if you are on a crawlspace, and are getting real 3/4 inch hardwood. What type of wood are you getting? There is significant diferences in the types of hardwood. Mainly the hardness. The harder the wood, the better it is, and also the more it will cost. There is also color fastness and fading that can be from the type of wood that is being used. (ie: maple, pine, brazilian etc..).

Just some thoughts as my wife and I have been through putting down wood floors in our home and have learned along the way. Nothing beats the look of wood though, when we picked wood for our home we went through the diferent colors offered and picked for color. Just know what you are getting and be informded so you are not surprised later. There are alot of easy sites to find on the web concerning hardwood floors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte