Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 6,117 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to Charlotte as we love the Ballantyne area. I have a major concern though as I have a 5 year old son who tends to like to play with girl toys and wear girl costumes (probably more than some boys who go through a "phase"). We currently live in Florida and had a situation where a woman my wife had befriended became comfortable enough with us to explain the our son had the devil in him and had a major sickness. We are finding down here that people share their religious beliefs a great deal more than they do in CT. I do not feel that people are more religious in one place vs. the other but that beliefs are more openly shared in Florida. I do not want to be somewhere where there is a high probability that we will come across people like the woman I described above as I know that if she believes that strongly about it that she is passing that belief to her kids that would be going to school with my son. I understand that children get teased everywhere, but there is a huge difference between getting teased and being told that you are sick or have the devil in you. So my question is....does anyone feel the Charlotte area has a high probability of facing these situations where people are not tolerant of the way my son is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:20 AM

I just want to understand if there is a high probability that my son will be openly judged by people regardless of their beliefs. Once again, I feel like people down here in Florida openly voice their opinions around this topic much more than in CT. I am also getting feedback from friends that live in the area, but thought I would try this for some more unbias feedback as I know my friends want us to move there.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-14-2016 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: orphan. post replied to is no longer available

Old 09-14-2016, 11:00 AM

235 posts, read 308,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball44 View Post
I can ensure you this is not a troll thread. I am not expecting a debate...quite the opposite I could care less what people believe....to each their own. I just want to understand if there is a high probability that my son will be openly judged by people regardless of their beliefs. Once again, I feel like people down here in Florida openly voice their opinions around this topic much more than in CT. I am also getting feedback from friends that live in the area, but thought I would try this for some more unbias feedback as I know my friends want us to move there.
No this will not create a debate... Good grief.

Looking for unbiased feedback on an internet forum? Good grief.

Do you really think this is the best place for that kind of information?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:24 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,077,527 times
Just like the mysterious poster with 1 post history that asked about being a jewish lesbian, you don't have anything to worry about.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
Quote:
My family and I are considering moving to Charlotte as we love the Ballantyne area. I have a major concern though as I have a 5 year old son who tends to like to play with girl toys and wear girl costumes (probably more than some boys who go through a "phase").
I would wait until after the elections before making a decision on moving. If your child truly identities as a girl, and this is not just a phase, your child would have a very rough time in school in North Carolina. North Carolina is the only state in the country where your child would be prohibited from using a bathroom consistent with her gender identity.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Goldenage1....thank you for a genuine response. That was part of the reason my concern had been raised. While I personally do not have an opinion on that policy, nor would I use this thread to vocalize any beliefs, it made me concerned that acceptance of my son within the community may not be as indifferent as I would like it to be.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:12 PM

64 posts, read 165,425 times
It's just a phase. My cousins son went through it and he got out of it. Dont worry

Old 09-14-2016, 01:25 PM

Thanks Mob Town. It may be a phase (or not). I am probably being over protective. I just want to make sure I do not put him in a position of getting tormented. This move would be strictly by choice, so I just want to make sure I am taking everything into account. Other than this concern, Charlotte look awesome!!! We visited a month ago and ar going to go back in October to look around.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 PM

13,383 posts, read 27,162,024 times
Quote:
.... It may be a phase (or not). I am probably being over protective. I just want to make sure I do not put him in a position of getting tormented. This move would be strictly by choice, so I just want to make sure I am taking everything into account. Other than this concern, Charlotte look awesome!!! We visited a month ago and ar going to go back in October to look around.
I think you should check out the school which your child might attend and ask about their anti-bullying policy. Your child should be protected from being bullied for gender-variant behavior within the school grounds, whether it is a phase or not.

Charlotte is probably one of the more progessive cities in the state, but there are folks everywhere who could be critical of your child's behavior. Nobody can guarantee that your child will not be teased outside of school.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-14-2016 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 04:09 PM

501 posts, read 531,292 times
Quote:
Thanks Mob Town. It may be a phase (or not). I am probably being over protective. I just want to make sure I do not put him in a position of getting tormented. This move would be strictly by choice, so I just want to make sure I am taking everything into account. Other than this concern, Charlotte look awesome!!! We visited a month ago and ar going to go back in October to look around.
Looks like he might be tormented with your obsessing over him. He is a kid of five. He doesn't understand or know his sexuality at this point. Don't make him a little girl. When he is 12, he will know where his comfort zone is. As far as being picked on, hell yes he will be picked on and laughed at. That is what kids do. Charlotte is extremely liberal as it is very diverse. Much more so than most cities it's size and even larger. No matter where you go, if a little boy dresses like a little girl, there will be unpleasantness. It doesn't matter about "progressiveness." It would be no different for him in Boston, New York, or any other place. Let the kid make his decisions and learn how to handle adversity. My son went through it. He's great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: