Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,685 times

Advertisements

HELP!!!! I have a tenant in my home that never signed a lease, she refuses to pay a full months worth of rent or keep up the property, I sent her a letter to give her 10 days to move out whch is up, she called the cops and said I stole $200.00 out of the house!!!! What can I do? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 07:53 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwalte04 View Post
HELP!!!! I have a tenant in my home that never signed a lease, she refuses to pay a full months worth of rent or keep up the property, I sent her a letter to give her 10 days to move out whch is up, she called the cops and said I stole $200.00 out of the house!!!! What can I do? Thanks
Call the police and inform them that someone is trespassing on your property who does not have permission to be there. If there is no lease, they have no right to be there if you do not want them to be.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,183,534 times
Go take off the front door

Old 04-06-2012, 06:49 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
You let her move in without a lease. You can't claim she is trespassing. I would buy an hours time with a lawyer to make sure you are not breaking any laws by hiring someone to put her stuff on the street or changing the locks. Otherwise, this person knows how to game landlords and the system and she'll take you to the mat and maybe sue you. She has already shown she's a thief and given to being reckless with the truth. She's not through with you and your property. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
buy an hours time with a lawyer?

I'm no lawyer, but that seems like overkill!

the landlord must demand the rent from the renter 10 days before beginning a summary ejectment action for eviction. This demand does not have to be in writing, but I would put it in writing.

You may want to bone up on the residential agreement act...

http://www.nclamp.gov/2004%20CLE/Ren...ment%20Act.PDF

Old 04-06-2012, 08:07 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
Native is right.

If you've sent the 10-day notice, and the 10 days are past, you can now file a Summary Ejectment at the courthouse. The cost of this is $126 and you will get a court date in approximately 3 weeks.

On the Summary Ejectment, you need to check the boxes for "Conventional Housing" and "Oral Lease." Conventional is assuming it is not a Section 8 house and the tenant is responsible for 100% of the rent payment.

When you go to court, have a copy of the 10-day notice you sent. Proof that it was sent is even better (certified mail receipt, etc). Chances are good that the tenant will not show up, but DO NOT let your guard down. The magistrates are not just going to grant you an eviction.

So, you'll need copy of the 10-day notice, a copy of the lease that should have been signed, a balance sheet showing how much the tenant owes, and anything else relating to this mess.

Don't get emotional or nervous. Just be able to back up your claim as best you can and you should be good to go. Should the eviction be granted, there is a 10-day appeal period. If the last day falls on a weekend, you have to wait until the next work day to file for a Writ of Possession. These are around $40.

Do not under any circumstances try to remove her belongings from your property. I know you want to, and it's your house and all, but you are asking for lots of trouble. Doing that is called a self-help eviction and is illegal in NC. I would also recommend that all communication between you and the tenant be in writing and sent certified mail, return receipt requested.

From the sounds of your situation, you probably do have a tenant that knows the game. There is a chance she will move out before the court date. Even if she does, go to court and make sure she gets another eviction on her record. This is extremely helpful to other people who rent houses, and you would have already paid for it.

If you have any questions, shoot me a DM. I'll offer as much info as I can. I've been in property management for 12 years.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Both posters that warned against putting her stuff out on the street or self eviction are 101% correct. You will wind up in a big pile of do-do with this tenant. Some of the damages possible could include, but not limited to, YOU paying treble damages that are handed down by the court.

Bitter pill to swallow but landlording is not an easy or part-time business.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
I am a landlord, I've found it quite easy and even less demanding than a part time job.

Where the hell do you guys find your tenants? Do you not thoroughly research your tenants?

Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,709,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I am a landlord, I've found it quite easy and even less demanding than a part time job.

Where the hell do you guys find your tenants? Do you not thoroughly research your tenants?

Buy a lottery ticket soon as you can and bf your luck runs out.
lol

Old 04-06-2012, 06:21 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,925 times
I'm calling shenanigans on the OP. Sounds like he's making fun of the "tenant won't leave"thread. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte