Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2017, 10:56 AM

459 posts, read 699,493 times

Advertisements

Hello folks. I have some old camcorder VHS c tapes from my camcorder from back in the 90s. I'd really like to get some of my high school stuff on to DVD and was wondering if there is someone that can convert out there.

Difficulty, this is VHS C and from the UK so would be PAL format.

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2017, 11:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Hello folks. I have some old camcorder VHS c tapes from my camcorder from back in the 90s. I'd really like to get some of my high school stuff on to DVD and was wondering if there is someone that can convert out there.

Difficulty, this is VHS C and from the UK so would be PAL format.

thanks in advance!
Have you considered contacting the NBC facility in Charlotte? PAL was based on the difference in European AC frequencies from the US/Japanese NTSC systems.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:00 PM

459 posts, read 699,493 times
thanks for responding southbound. How weird is it that no sooner had I posted this that I hear an ad on 1110 WBT about legacybox.com?

That's either a spooky coincidence or some grade A cookie/tracking software they use on my browsing history.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
thanks for responding southbound. How weird is it that no sooner had I posted this that I hear an ad on 1110 WBT about legacybox.com?

That's either a spooky coincidence or some grade A cookie/tracking software they use on my browsing history.

You're welcome. The NBC facility came to mind immediately for me because I knew that it was something that the networks had to deal with. I figured that if they didn't still have the equipment, they would know who did.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM

751 posts, read 935,145 times
There's usually Groupons for camcorder conversions.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:42 PM

501 posts, read 529,452 times
I too need to convert my old videocam tapes. They are mostly x rated tapes I made during my bachelor days but would be fun to review now. I have moved many times and wonder what the girls involved look like now. I would like to transfer them myself for the sake of my unblemished reputation.

Old 03-08-2017, 02:36 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,373 times
Free DIY software is available here:

https://www.dvdvideosoft.com/product...-Converter.htm

Video to DVD Free | Best Video to DVD Converter

Download Free Video to DVD Converter v5.0.97.705 - AfterDawn: Software downloads

Check out the video format before you buy or download. Caveat: I've never used any of this stuff, so you might want to shop around. Also, be careful of downloading freeware. If you download anything, scan it with your malware software before you install it.

If I were really interested in converting my wife's VCR collection, I'd probably buy something from B&H Photo and Video:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...op+Nav-Search=

A friend is a commercial photographer who buys almost everything pertaining to photography from B&H. The company does something like a billion dollars in business each year and it sells only good equipment. I visited their store in Manhattan a few years ago. It's not a Mom 'n Pop organization. Almost everyone who works there is a rabbi and an expert in at least one field of photography. (Maybe not really pertinent, but it's an interesting thought to buy from a rabbi. I don't know why).

If you're interested in photography, that's the place to shop. They've got real-world prices, and they don't twist your arm to buy anything. It's a wonderful store, but buying online is is a good experience and generally risk-free if you know what you are buying. Do your homework before you pull the trigger! I've bought a few thousand dollars' worth of electronics from B&H and I recommend the company wholeheartedly. You can even call them if you have questions.

Last edited by LarryBGood; 03-08-2017 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: spnelling

Old 03-09-2017, 09:17 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,012 times
As the OP need to convert Pal format as well as a software you would need an adapter, for instance we have a i believe now discontinued Canopus ADVC converter, which is a consumer version of professional equipment. Basically means if we can play it we can convert it.

Those can still be purchased on Ebay for about a $100, problem is playing it if you do not have a method of playing it and a lot of companies converting here in the USA no longer do any type of PAL conversions.

The only time I had anything done with PAL I used a company in the UK and I had them make region free DVD's so I could share with my UK family.

Just took a quick look companies that do PAL conversions, mostly in New York or California start from about $25 a tape.

Last edited by flyingscotsman; 03-09-2017 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Adding more

Old 03-09-2017, 10:57 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
I used Memories on Media to do some tapes recently and was happy with the outcome.

Memories On Media - Convert your old audio or video recordings to CD or DVD today!!!

Old 03-09-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
As the OP need to convert Pal format as well as a software you would need an adapter, for instance we have a i believe now discontinued Canopus ADVC converter, which is a consumer version of professional equipment. Basically means if we can play it we can convert it.

Those can still be purchased on Ebay for about a $100, problem is playing it if you do not have a method of playing it and a lot of companies converting here in the USA no longer do any type of PAL conversions.

The only time I had anything done with PAL I used a company in the UK and I had them make region free DVD's so I could share with my UK family.

Just took a quick look companies that do PAL conversions, mostly in New York or California start from about $25 a tape.
Yeah, most people were absolutely unaware of the 3 video systems, PAL, SECAM, & NTSC. The primary users of conversion dubbing were networks. That's why I suggested starting with the NBC facility in Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte