Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2017, 04:17 PM

51 posts, read 72,125 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

I have a job offer /promotion with my company that would take me to the Charlotte area.
It would be a multi unit manager position with locations from Charlotte to Roanoke, WV.
Over half the locations would be in the Charlotte area and to the north. The rest, spread from Greensboro to Roanoke.
We are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 11 and 14. We currently live on 4 acres in Idaho on the Snake river, but are honestly tired of the work involved with such a property. Would be looking for something in a smaller suburb at around $300k for the home. Like to have less than an acre in a nice neighborhood where house are not right on top of one another. We currently live in a town of 5,000 people outside a town of 60,000. We enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, and shooting sports. Youngest son plays football, so positive youth sports would be important.
We are completely ignorant about NC. We visited a sister that has since moved in the early 2000's in Fayetteville. We traveled from there to Wilmington and also went to a zoo in Asheboro. That is the extent of our NC knowledge, so any advice, feedback, do's and dont's would be so appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 06:07 PM

930 posts, read 2,162,048 times
I would suggest looking in the areas nearer to Greensboro if that is your central point. My husband travels for work as well, and it makes it a lot easier. You might inquire in the Greensboro forum. I'm sure it was just a type, but Roanoke is in Virginia.

Old 08-09-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
I would suggest looking in the areas nearer to Greensboro if that is your central point. My husband travels for work as well, and it makes it a lot easier. You might inquire in the Greensboro forum. I'm sure it was just a type, but Roanoke is in Virginia.

Thanks! you are correct

Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM

No information guys? I would love to hear about some great areas to live in and why they are great. Some areas to avoid and why.
Can you help me out?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:17 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,446 times
I think the advice of living between Greensboro and Charlotte is solid given where your locations are, or at least the majority of them. Up that way you will find more space to spread out and not so densely populated. You could even look at High Rock Lake near Salisbury as a decent mid-way point between Greensboro and Charlotte, off I-85. I think you'd find some good values in real estate there but I'm not super familiar so could be wrong.

That's quite the transfer from Idaho to NC, good luck!

Old 08-13-2017, 03:02 PM

1,195 posts, read 986,807 times
Snake river is quite a curvy river, black if I recall, here the rivers are brown. VA is all rural going towards Roanoke.

You should have good house options at 300,000 in Greensboro, with an acre, etc. 77/81 is the only route to Roanoke that doesn't take forever, so may want to check Winston Salem if it's more central. Statesville will also be convenient to Greensboro Charlotte and Roanoke. If the majority of your locations are in Charlotte you may want to stay around there, especially considering Charlotte traffic gets very heavy even if the distance is closer, it's not all that quick to drive.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:48 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,466,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
Snake river is quite a curvy river, black if I recall, here the rivers are brown. VA is all rural going towards Roanoke.

You should have good house options at 300,000 in Greensboro, with an acre, etc. 77/81 is the only route to Roanoke that doesn't take forever, so may want to check Winston Salem if it's more central. Statesville will also be convenient to Greensboro Charlotte and Roanoke. If the majority of your locations are in Charlotte you may want to stay around there, especially considering Charlotte traffic gets very heavy even if the distance is closer, it's not all that quick to drive.
I was thinking Statesville too given access to Roanoke and Greensboro via 77 and 40, didn't go that direction just based on how horrendous I-77 south traffic from Statesville to Charlotte is every day. Once the toll lanes open up maybe it won't be so bad and Statesville would make a fine alternative. You can get a LOT of house in Statesville for your budget, with space around you. Schools would be a major concern though if there's school age children involved.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I was thinking Statesville too given access to Roanoke and Greensboro via 77 and 40, didn't go that direction just based on how horrendous I-77 south traffic from Statesville to Charlotte is every day. Once the toll lanes open up maybe it won't be so bad and Statesville would make a fine alternative. You can get a LOT of house in Statesville for your budget, with space around you. Schools would be a major concern though if there's school age children involved.
Hickory might be better for schools than Statesville, & not that far from 77. Hickory would also give the option of 321 to get down to the Charlotte area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte