Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
This is no different than the thinking 40 years ago where the general thought was african americans weren't smart enough to play QB.

That is partly why Cam should've been extra sensitive to his words he chose.....
This is quite true. All things taken into consideration, the girl should have kept her mouth shut. Older people would have raised a stink, without her opening a can of worms of her own.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:40 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Older people would have raised a stink, without her opening a can of worms of her own.
What does this mean?

Old 10-07-2017, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
What does this mean?
Well, Larry, I'm a boomer female. I worked as a broadcast tech for many years. I was good at the job but was always classified as a hiring minority. In that time, females & black men were entering one of the many jobs that had been a white men only occupation. There was a coalition. We knew that we had been hired to provide a check on a list. We also knew that we had to be twice as good & work twice as hard.

I saw the offending clip. It was very offensive to me. I would guess that it would be equally offensive to the black men & other women who broke down the barriers. He doesn't get a pass because he's young. He had to have heard about things that were said & done to family members, not that long ago. When he laughed at that girl & made the comment, it was a blast from the past.

Had she kept her mouth shut, older people would have shown their displeasure. Maybe not you, but the people who thought that that sort of thing was in the past.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:57 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post

Had she kept her mouth shut, older people would have shown their displeasure. Maybe not you, but the people who thought that that sort of thing was in the past.

Do you know who coined the term "political correctness"?

Joseph Stalin. Think about it. The self-appointed defenders of political correctness are as imperious as Joe was.

I think that a lot of people need to get off the Hysteria Train and look past the gaffes (which is what they are, not parts of a large conspiracy). The guy is a young football player. Period.

Get over it.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 AM

391 posts, read 402,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The NFL continues to slide down the slope.
I certainly agree. When people in sports feel they have other callings, it is time for them to stop wasting the time of those that pay outrageous prices supporting them. The are like actors who are paid to act and have no other real value. I believe that Newton's show of ignorance has downgraded the opinions of many supporters. Kaepernick is rightly without a job, hehe. I hope that trend continues.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
You said the same thing about the NBA years ago, it's just fine. Now, sliding down a slippery slope is Nascar. The biggest threat to the NFL is CTE....not due to NFL players taking a knee in protest to social injustices regarding police brutality. They realize just because you have money and Black doesn't prevent some of these dangerous cops from beating you down or killing you.

Protests are meant to make people unconformable, it's the primary driving force for social injustice change. If the NFL folds because of that, so be it....you just can't keep gunning down innocent people and letting them off the hook because you have a badge.

It is always best for the cop to ignore that black criminal with a gun in his hand, right? By the way, report after report has shown that there is no racial disparity favoring whites in police administered shootings. With 52 percent of all murders in the U.S. committed by blacks and only 20 percent committed by whites, you would think that there would be many more shootings by cops. I thought that protests were simply a method of showing disapproval, not to "make people uncomfortable" or as you call it, "unconformable" if that is what you meant to say. Cops are not let off the hook because they have a badge. You obviously have no idea how thoroughly police shootings are investigated, especially in large cities. When will people learn to act like a human being when confronted by a cop. Acting like a moron will only cause more problems. The same applies to the justice system. When the judge tries a person that is sloppy, has an attitude, and prior arrests, it is likely that he will get a stiffer sentence that the person that shows respect and remorse. That is common sense and only applies to race if a person falls into the first category and claims it as racism which happens all the time. We are getting tired of the race card and the claims of injustice that will always be used as an excuse for failure.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I was with you on the first two thoughts, but to convince me I need a new quarterback you're going to have present some on the field stats. These guys are around to sling a ball, not teach junior cotillion or win a Noble in literature.
Thing is, he was the reason we lost the super bowl. He fumbled at the end of the game and stood there like an idiot not recovering the ball. But, I agree with what you say. They are also not hired to be politicians either.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Do you know who coined the term "political correctness"?

Joseph Stalin. Think about it. The self-appointed defenders of political correctness are as imperious as Joe was.

I think that a lot of people need to get off the Hysteria Train and look past the gaffes (which is what they are, not parts of a large conspiracy). The guy is a young football player. Period.

Get over it.
I tend to mind my own business. I saw him laugh at her & make the comment it was like a flash from the past. Obviously, you had no such experience in your younger years. I explained why it would have created a marketing problem. I don't watch football, so wouldn't boycott the team. I don't buy Oikos, so no difference there either. Coupon Jack was dead on with his comment about black quarterbacks. I explained why there is a segment of the population, not limited to females, who could react negatively. The best that you could do was to try to make it a commie plot. Nice.

Obviously, my explanation is a known. Dannon pulled having him promote Oikos. One or more people in their marketing department figured out what the result would be, for them.

I don't care if you think that it was a gaffe. It was a most unfortunate insult that has had national airtime. The girl was not lilywhite either, so she should have kept her mouth shut. Neither one of them would have had their jobs 30 or 40 years ago, because of who they are, not whether they are able to do the job. That's a fact that is not connected to Joseph Stalin. However, thanks so much for illustrating what one of the reactions used to be.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff of London View Post
Thing is, he was the reason we lost the super bowl. He fumbled at the end of the game and stood there like an idiot not recovering the ball. But, I agree with what you say. They are also not hired to be politicians either.
And he was also the main reason they were there in the first place...

In general, I do think some of the outrage over this is a little excessive, but it was definitely a sexist comment that he should have known better not to make. I don't think anyone can use the "he's young" excuse anymore. He's 28, has 2 kids and this is his 7th season in the NFL -- he's a grown man. I'm still a supporter of his, but this will just be added to the list of reasons why a lot of people don't like him.

Side note - it is somewhat of a catch-22 because this is part of the reason a lot of players are hesitant to talk to the media (which if they are they often get criticized for). Whenever someone makes the news because of something they said to the media, it's usually negative.

As far as the NFL "sliding down the slope," I would agree but it has nothing to do with Cam's comments or national anthem protests for that matter. It's more because of the concussion issue and the number of criminals employed by the NFL IMO. It's amazing that there are more people outraged over people kneeling during the national anthem than the fact that a guy like Joe Mixon, who was caught on video knocking out a woman, was still drafted in the second round.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
And he was also the main reason they were there in the first place...

In general, I do think some of the outrage over this is a little excessive, but it was definitely a sexist comment that he should have known better not to make. I don't think anyone can use the "he's young" excuse anymore. He's 28, has 2 kids and this is his 7th season in the NFL -- he's a grown man. I'm still a supporter of his, but this will just be added to the list of reasons why a lot of people don't like him.

Side note - it is somewhat of a catch-22 because this is part of the reason a lot of players are hesitant to talk to the media (which if they are they often get criticized for). Whenever someone makes the news because of something they said to the media, it's usually negative.

As far as the NFL "sliding down the slope," I would agree but it has nothing to do with Cam's comments or national anthem protests for that matter. It's more because of the concussion issue and the number of criminals employed by the NFL IMO. It's amazing that there are more people outraged over people kneeling during the national anthem than the fact that a guy like Joe Mixon, who was caught on video knocking out a woman, was still drafted in the second round.
In regards to the last paragraph, I believe that we are so used to the criminal element in professional sports that the beating of a woman by Joe Mixon was not a surprise. I had heard people say that when the Charlotte Hornet's basketball team left Charlotte years ago, crime went down noticeably. Many of the athletes know nothing but how to play ball. Most are extremely lucky to have such ridiculously high paying jobs and not much between the ears. However, there are many exceptions. His teammates did a wonderful job of supporting him and that seems to still be the case. He isn't the best quarterback in the NFL, but Newton's team members sure make it possible for him to "walk on water." I believe that most people expect players to play ball and not do controversial political stands in front of fans that pay lots and lots of money for tickets. It is the wrong place. I agree with you posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte