Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times

Advertisements

Last week I went into 4th Ward for the first time in a long time, and I was absolutely floored: pedestrians everywhere!

Downtown CLT has changed greatly from the first time I had visited in 2007, when downtown was much more a "suitcase city" - (busy from 9AM-5PM, but largely dead outside of that timeframe.)

What can we expect from Downtown in the future, in terms of shopping and recreation? I am well familiar with all of the building that's going on; I am aware of plans to reinvent the main library, and I look forward to Brooklyn Village.

I know the City is taking initiatives in making Downtown a recreation destination; I would love to see a Barnes & Noble type store Downtown, along with sidewalk cafe's, local chains like Mast General Store, etc.

What would y'all like to see?

For anyone that hasn't been Downtown in awhile, the City has taken a 180 turn. It's both exciting and encouraging to see the City's initiatives at work .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,353,327 times
Yes , it is!! I recall how it was when I was a teenager , with about 3 nightclubs. The Polk building on Trade was the unemployment office , and west of Graham , everything seemed barren. The construction of Gateway Village has increased the ^v of redevelopment that area of the city. Hopefully , this will continue to have a cumulative effect on other areas. Central has did a 360 as well , with at least 5 new apartment blocks under construction.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
Yes , it is!! I recall how it was when I was a teenager , with about 3 nightclubs. The Polk building on Trade was the unemployment office , and west of Graham , everything seemed barren. The construction of Gateway Village has increased the ^v of redevelopment that area of the city. Hopefully , this will continue to have a cumulative effect on other areas. Central has did a 360 as well , with at least 5 new apartment blocks under construction.
Appreciate you sharing the history of our great City.

Forgive me for repeating myself, but my last visit left that much of an impression on me. I went at night, and witnessed an area aficionado giving a good sized group of people a neighborhood tour of 4th Ward.

A very positive experience overall. Moreover, there was a lot of bird activity in the neighborhood park, and I can't ever remember being in a Downtown area that is so hospitable to animal life.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:23 PM

571 posts, read 715,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Downtown CLT has changed greatly from the first time I had visited in 2007, when downtown was much more a "suitcase city" - (busy from 9AM-5PM, but largely dead outside of that timeframe.)
The first time I visited UT Charlotte at night was way back in 1981. I was a new student at UNCC and I went down there with a couple friends one night to check it out. But contrary to your experience, it wasn't completely dead at night. While the regular brick and mortar type businesses were all closed, there were a few ladies walking the streets who were very much open for business. They were shouting deals at us as we drove by.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
The first time I visited UT Charlotte at night was way back in 1981. I was a new student at UNCC and I went down there with a couple friends one night to check it out. But contrary to your experience, it wasn't completely dead at night. While the regular brick and mortar type businesses were all closed, there were a few ladies walking the streets who were very much open for business. They were shouting deals at us as we drove by.
Your story made me chuckle, and I thank you for sharing it !

I'm surprised that more people haven't participated on this thread, especially given the fact that this forum mainly serves to provide relocation assistance to perspective residents.

C'mon y'all ! I have been waiting for this moment; downtown Charlotte is becoming a City whose presence is all her own.

For while her footprint is small, it's growing distinct.

What suggestions do y'all have in making downtown Charlotte the City we wish her to be? I do remember a movement, a few years ago, that suggested building an artificial lake/significant water feature, downtown. I don't know if there's been any movement in this.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:40 PM

Here we go:

Are

Old 04-20-2018, 11:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:

I'm surprised that more people haven't participated on this thread, especially given the fact that this forum mainly serves to provide relocation assistance to perspective residents.

C'mon y'all ! I have been waiting for this moment; downtown Charlotte is becoming a City whose presence is all her own.

For while her footprint is small, it's growing distinct.

What suggestions do y'all have in making downtown Charlotte the City we wish her to be? I do remember a movement, a few years ago, that suggested building an artificial lake/significant water feature, downtown. I don't know if there's been any movement in this.
I think that the River District will check the box for water.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think that the River District will check the box for water.
For that reason, i'm really looking forward to what's in store for the River District .

Old 04-21-2018, 10:20 PM

571 posts, read 715,749 times
Quote:
True story. If my memory serves, those "businesspersons" were working on North Tryon in the vicinity of the First Methodist Church.

Quote:
Quote:
Here we go:

Are
Thank you for bringing this up. I was wondering what ever happened with that lagoon idea. That would have been wonderful. While the River District will be a wonderful asset for the public (and I hope it will be ensured as a truly public space, which would require the city own that land, or never permit it to be zone for anything else), the absence of a major water feature or major park in the downtown area leaves it sort of lacking, IMO.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:21 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Last week I went into 4th Ward for the first time in a long time, and I was absolutely floored: pedestrians everywhere!
I haven't participated in this thread because there really isn't anything to "discuss". Uptown is adding retail, offices, apartments, townhomes, hotels, and street-facing restaurants. To be honest, uptown is a very small world class city.

My question is how do we expand the uptown model into adjacent areas? Charlotte would be far more interesting if uptown were 20 sq/miles large instead of 2 sq/miles. Adding density to Plaza Midwood and Noda would do the trick. However, I'm already seeing complaints from people in those areas about how these "ugly apartments" are ruining the "character and feel" of those neighborhoods.

Also, I recently read about the complaints of Cherry residents over the 300ft height of a planned development (just outside of Cherry). "It's too tall" seems to be the popular opinion of angry Cherry residents (center city folks who actually have a suburban mentality).

There are also efforts to bring density and higher incomes into west side areas such as Washington/Lincoln Heights along Beatties Ford Rd. Guess what? Angry anti-gentrification campaigns are slowing down those efforts as well.

Those of us who are familiar with older established cities (and wish to see some of that from Charlotte) need to be very patient with Charlotte. She is NOT going to give up her sprawling comfort zone without a fight. I honestly see uptown as a curse and a blessing. Charlotte is fortunate to have such a dense, compact, and walkable downtown. On the other hand, there seems to be this Charlotte mentality that density ONLY belongs near uptown. That mentality is truly what's holding Charlotte back (ceding higher ed to other NC markets hurts as well).

As for uptown itself, the future is very bright. Folks in uptown have an urbanites' mentality. They walk everywhere, many do not own cars, they often use mass transit, and they're more concerned with location rather than square footage. To some extent, South End folks are the same way. I guess what I'm saying is that uptown's "next step" is to have neighboring areas of Charlotte with comparable density/walkability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte