Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2018, 08:20 PM

44 posts, read 47,141 times

Advertisements

Looking for any charter school recommendations in the Mooresville area. Preferably from a family currently or formerly attending. We value project based learning, GATE curriculum (Gifted and Talented Education - it may be called something else in NC?), and focus on being a good citizen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 08:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Any particular reason for only considering charter schools? Mooresville has some of the highest rated public schools in the state.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,984,947 times
You can't just get into a charter school here. They have a lottery system and you have to be a resident to even apply. They certainly aren't project based learning here either.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM

184 posts, read 467,465 times
Community School of Davidson and Lake Norman Charter both receive great ratings. Both are lottery and very much in high demand.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEABO14 View Post
Community School of Davidson and Lake Norman Charter both receive great ratings. Both are lottery and very much in high demand.
Neither one of these are in Mooresville.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:39 AM

44 posts, read 47,141 times
We are looking into both options, public or public charter. I understand how public charters work and that most fall to the lottery system. The current school our daughter is enrolled in is a public charter and we went through the lottery. I am simply doing preliminary research and hoping to gain insight from parents.

Wolf Howl, thank you - yes, I've been looking into the public school ratings as well. Any in particular you have direct or indirect experience with and can recommend?

Old 07-10-2018, 10:56 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Neither one of these are in Mooresville.
Community School of Davidson wouldn't be a terrible drive (15-25 minutes or so), but Lake Norman Charter would be a hike (30+ minutes).

Old 07-10-2018, 04:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Grey View Post
We are looking into both options, public or public charter. I understand how public charters work and that most fall to the lottery system. The current school our daughter is enrolled in is a public charter and we went through the lottery. I am simply doing preliminary research and hoping to gain insight from parents.

Wolf Howl, thank you - yes, I've been looking into the public school ratings as well. Any in particular you have direct or indirect experience with and can recommend?
Honestly, any in the Mooresville Graded School District would be good choices IMO. Depending on the ages, there's also Mt. Mourne IB school which receives very high marks too. My son starts there this year and he's very excited as am I. I've been very pleased with the overall public schools in this area, even the public schools in the southern part of the county (that aren't in the city) are quality. Pine Lake Prep in terms of Charter schools has gotten great marks from the folks that I know with kids there but with the lottery system, and how popular it is, it's quite the long list to get in unless you have super young kids just starting.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2018, 05:08 PM

5,457 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Honestly, any in the Mooresville Graded School District would be good choices IMO. Depending on the ages, there's also Mt. Mourne IB school which receives very high marks too. My son starts there this year and he's very excited as am I. I've been very pleased with the overall public schools in this area, even the public schools in the southern part of the county (that aren't in the city) are quality. Pine Lake Prep in terms of Charter schools has gotten great marks from the folks that I know with kids there but with the lottery system, and how popular it is, it's quite the long list to get in unless you have super young kids just starting.

Good luck!
Excellent post Wolf Howl!

Knowing MGSD fairly well, and hearing some of the same things you have, I would concur with your opinions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte