Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
You you got a lot of useful comments, but I just want to pay your attention to something important.
You've said:

-This is wrong! Don't put your gun next to your bed while you were sleeping!
-lock the door of your house or apartment...etc and also lock the door of your room.
-In the same time, you HAVE TO handle this situation as soon as possible EVEN if it needs you to move from this place with some financial loss. Not only because how creepy or dangerous seems your neighbor but also because, you've reached to the top degree of "panic".
-Try not to go out or get back home at night. (if you can) and avoid going out at late time.
agree 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 08:18 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
The only threat here is when his mother passes, who do you think WILL own that house?!
This situations happens all the time.
Problem child moves in with elder parent.
Problem Child waits out elders death.
Problem Child inherits home.

Lets just pray that the problem child is not responsible for the death. That would be a much sadder story.

In the meantime. consider the buy out if it bothers you so much. Or consult with an attorney and and see what options you may have. It is easy for all of us to speculate, but there are laws. Unless there is an attorney that can offer up the laws here, then it is just opinions.

There are buy out clauses/early termination fees in leases. It may be worth it for the piece of mind. Yes it comes at an expense. usually up to 2 months rent in most leases I have seen, but if iit saves you months of headache and worry.... and if you can find a different place.....
True, but at least OP doesn't have to deal with the longer-term situation assuming they only signed a year lease.

If OP could guarantee both that they could find a new place without a similar situation, AND that the neighbor is actually an immediate threat, then yeah I think breaking the lease would be a good idea. But IMO you can't, so OP would still be taking a risk and putting out a lot of money while not necessarily being able to guarantee a better situation. Again, it seems the biggest issue with the current neighbor is noise. Even if OP's new neighbor isn't a criminal, they could very easily make as much noise as the current neighbor.

OP, if you can stick it out, that will also give you time to learn the overall area and give you more time to find your next place (or potentially decide if you even want to stay in the general area).

Old 08-08-2018, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 38,261 times
At this point, no one here can tell the OP something he or she doesn't already know. They have their options, they can ignore the problem and it'll move on to someone else, they can work within the system, or they can open their wallet and leave the problem behind.

This thread is just beating a dead horse.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:57 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,381 times
agreed

Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
I've already given my notice and getting ready to pay the property management their ransom fee (Lease Break Out Fee).. I'm going to have to do wire transfer from my West Coast bank to my new local bank I have here. So, having to wait a couple more days. It's a done deal pretty much. I have decided that I am actually going to leave North Carolina and looking at moving to Denver, Colorado. If I ever move into another condo/townhouse/close proximity living situation like this with where your neighbors can be rogue homeowners, I will definitely be looking up the backgrounds of the people who live there. If it was a situation like an apartment, at least the landlord could kick out the bad tenant or move me. Or, if I had a house with some property I would have way more security and distance so I don't have to get woken out of bed with loud noise or kept up all night. Being at such close quarters with such a dangerous person is not fun. Of course, the useless HOA who does absolutely nothing but cash checks and the HUntersville PD, who seem to just not give a crap about any calls to this subdivision also compound the misery of the situation. I'm told the neighborhood went from all homeowners to a good chunk of renters as many people moved out due to lack of enforcement and a lot of renters moving in causing trouble.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:19 PM

37 posts, read 38,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Of course, the useless HOA who does absolutely nothing but cash checks and the HUntersville PD, who seem to just not give a crap about any calls to this subdivision also compound the misery of the situation. I'm told the neighborhood went from all homeowners to a good chunk of renters as many people moved out due to lack of enforcement and a lot of renters moving in causing trouble.
In my experience it's more the residents not caring enough to band together and form a community bond than it is whether or not you have renters or owners. Your mileage may vary though.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecialHere View Post
In my experience it's more the residents not caring enough to band together and form a community bond than it is whether or not you have renters or owners. Your mileage may vary though.
You're right NoOneSpecialHere.. I am also pretty amazed at how timid and fearful the residents seem. Where I use to live in the Northwest if a neighbor who was a known methhead/felon went around having a temper tantrum throwing cinder blocks and smashing another neighbor's car, he would have had his behind kicked very hard until he left the neighborhoods. THe cops, themselves, would probably terrorized him as well.. I am surprised at how tolerant people are of bad neighbors around here and how people don't seem to want to look out for each other. My neighbors next to me also just walk right be me and pretend i am not there. THere is definitely no community spirit or friendliness here. People will just call the police and beg for them to help and they do nothing and the neighbors do absolutely nothing to help their own community. In fact, I am told many have just resolved to selling their homes and fleeing rather than stand up for the community. This is one thing I did respect about living in the Pacific Northwest, that if a neighborhood is "respectable" people go out of their way to keep it that way. Even if the neighbors are not so friendly to each other, when problems arises they tend to bond together.

I tried reaching out to my neighbors and seeing if they wanted to do something about this, but everyone just seemed scared, timid and just said we need to hope the police will come and solve it. Everyone just seems to want to be left alone and avoid trouble. In many neighborhoods I lived we would be outside this scumbags house picketing him and he would maybe find he gets the occasional a** beating if he wrecked havoc on community like this. If the cops knew about a guy like this, they may beat his a** and arrest him time to time to torture him and convince him to leave as well. He could forget about having them respond to any calls in his own defense. I got screamed at on the phone by the Gaston County Sheriff by lady who said "HE HAS RIGHTS!!! INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!"" I said, back, what about my rights? Why for just $2,500 check (10% of measly $25,000 bail) does a violent and dangerous criminal get to be back on the streets around our kids?

Of course, in more upscale communities, the police do actually care and respond as the affluent people are always their priority. The distribution of wealth in Huntersville is Very Rich and just middle to lower-middle class, like where I live.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Haha... sounds like my neighbors. We swore we would check the neighbors before moving but we fell in love with the house and forgot. We have the dreaded grown son and daughter still living at home. They argue with the neighbor across the street, who is also an adult living at home, over their kids playing together and the police come by to babysit them from time to time.

People with time on their hands find the dumbest things to argue over.

When we sell we will probably bribe them a 6 pack or whatever they like to get them to stay in the house while we try to sell it.

What’s frustrating is 4 houses down its quiet and a totally different street than ours.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:55 PM

334 posts, read 290,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If he's done time in NC, he's got his own webpage, with rap sheet, courtesy of the NC Correction Department. I know. I had one down the street from me. One of the neighbors was concerned & I printed out the rap sheet for the new neighbors. It was 11 pages because l shrank it by using a small font. It also included extended stays in county lockups.

What is the URL for this NC Dept. of Corrections webpage?

Old 08-17-2018, 01:18 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,059,808 times
RotseCherut, I understand why you want to move. Denver seems like a nice place. More cold weather than Charlotte, of course.

How will you check out your new neighbors if you don't know their name? How do you look them up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte