Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 11:27 AM

26 posts, read 20,009 times

Advertisements

I’m in the process of thinking about moving to Charlotte and had some questions:
What are some good places to live in there?
What are some places to stay away from?
What are some good restaurants?
What is one place that you would recommend some visiting for the first time should visit?
Where is your best place to get coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 11:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,964 times
Best place to live depends on where your job is and what your price range is. Lots of good restaurants depending on what you like.

I would recommend a long drive around Charlotte. There are too many great places to recommend just one to visit. I grew up and live in south Charlotte and most of my activity is centered there however, there are some great places, neighborhoods, shopping, restaurants, etc. in all areas of Charlotte.

My favorite place to get coffee is my house. Sorry.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:10 PM

628 posts, read 819,719 times
Do yourself a favor and think about somewhere else. If you live in Maine, I don't think you will like the place. The type of people, culture and weather are completely different from where you are. The weather is subtropical (not temperate like Maine) so its going to be basically high 80s/low 90s every day, from Mid May to as far as into October. There is alot of violent crime in north and east Charlotte, and Mecklenberg county abuses the residents with high taxes with bad schools in return. Most of the affluent people live in the suburbs in different counties. The only thing that Charlotte has over Maine is a bigger banking economy. People call it "Baby Atlanta" for a reason.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrishawke View Post
Do yourself a favor and think about somewhere else. If you live in Maine, I don't think you will like the place. The type of people, culture and weather are completely different from where you are. The weather is subtropical (not temperate like Maine) so its going to be basically high 80s/low 90s every day, from Mid May to as far as into October. There is alot of violent crime in north and east Charlotte, and Mecklenberg county abuses the residents with high taxes with bad schools in return. Most of the affluent people live in the suburbs in different counties. The only thing that Charlotte has over Maine is a bigger banking economy. People call it "Baby Atlanta" for a reason.
Part of the reason I want to leave maine is due to the weather I can't stand the cold. I lived in Norfolk Virginia for 5 years so the hot weather doesn't bother me. Thank you for telling me about the crime and tags though I didn't know about those things.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:49 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
The more detail you give, the more responses you'll get. Things that help are:

1. Do you want urban, suburban, rural?
2. Do you need work?
3. Concerns about making friends, age group, interests, hobbies, religion, etc??
4. What your budget is for housing?
5. Rent or buy?
6. Children, single, retired, etc...?
7. Do you need to worry about public schools?
8. ANYTHING else that helps us narrow down options for you specifically.

Good coffee shop: Try some of these: https://www.charlottefive.com/charlo...s-living-here/

Last edited by CLT4; 09-09-2018 at 05:42 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 01:56 PM

34 posts, read 36,969 times
CLT4 is right, we need to know more about what you want and need.

But as far as restaurants look up the King's Kitchen. Uptown (which is downtown) great food, reasonable prices, hires and trains the homeless and every meal you buy feeds 3 to 5 homeless people.

Old 09-10-2018, 02:00 PM

751 posts, read 935,645 times
"The one" place to visit is all based on your likes/dislikes. For culture, Levine Museum of the New South gives a great, though sometimes sad, history of the area. For entertainment, there's the Whitewater center where you can go whitewater rafting and ziplining. There's also Crowder's Mountain which is a nice hike with a great view at the top. And then there's the Noda, South End, and Matthews neighborhoods to hang out and drink depending on your age. For NASCARphiles, there's both the racetrack in Concord and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. For adrenaline junkies, there's always Carowinds amusement park, which is open some/most weekends in the fall.

Old 09-10-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
The more detail you give, the more responses you'll get. Things that help are:

1. Do you want urban, suburban, rural?
2. Do you need work?
3. Concerns about making friends, age group, interests, hobbies, religion, etc??
4. What your budget is for housing?
5. Rent or buy?
6. Children, single, retired, etc...?
7. Do you need to worry about public schools?
8. ANYTHING else that helps us narrow down options for you specifically.

Good coffee shop: Try some of these: https://www.charlottefive.com/charlo...s-living-here/
1. I would like something urban
2. I would be looking for a job in the child care or retail field.
3. I’m in my late 20’s my hobbies are reading, listening to music and traveling.
4. My budget is $700 to $1250
5. Rent
6. Single no children
7. No I don’t

Old 09-11-2018, 05:59 AM

751 posts, read 935,645 times
Look in the South End/Dilworth type areas, though you might need to stretch your budget. Honestly, I'd try and find a roommate so you can push the budget and end up with a place in a trendier area. UNCC area will have a younger crowd too, though it's less walkable/urban.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:22 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
I'd recommend a roommate as well if you'd like to live in a nice building. With a roommate you could afford a nice 2 bedroom in South End, Dilworth, Uptown, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte