Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 07:15 AM

13 posts, read 11,867 times

Advertisements

I’m moving to Charlotte next month and wondering about the Uptown and Plaza Midwood areas. I’m looking at two apartments, one in Uptown and the other in Plaza Midwood. I’ve seen news reports people are leaving cities because they can work remotely. Why pay high rents or live in town if you can live elsewhere for less. Also, civil unrest is a factor as well. My employer has the majority of employees working from home and I don’t expect to be going into the office until a vaccine is developed or after flu/cold season next year. Anyway, one of the main reasons I selected Uptown and Plaza Midwood is due to social amenities (restaurants/nightlife/entertainment) and walk ability. How are things currently in Uptown Charlotte and Plaza Midwood. Are people moving out of those areas? Are restaurants fully open? Is there civil unrest in those areas? Im not a suburb person, but I have been considering moving there if things are closed down or closing down in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 AM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
In Uptown, Plaza Midwood, South End, and NoDa there is not much activity. Businesses are slow to open so these areas are pretty dead now. I have not read of any protesting recently anywhere in Charlotte. I have not read of people leaving these areas. The local newspaper would report it if any of the things that you mentioned are happening. Good Luck and I believe it is safe to move to Charlotte. The areas I mentioned above will come to life again once things do open up.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Thanks The QC.

Here’s one of the articles I had in mind:
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/88758...rs-may-be-next

It’s not only New York, but other high rent and expensive areas. North Carolina and the southeast region being less expensive than northern and western cities might benefit from pandemic relocators. My move was in the works before the pandemic hit.

I don’t mind wearing a mask inside public establishments, so if things are open, but with masks, I’m fine with that! I don’t want to be stuck in the house even after working a full day at home.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I can't speak specific to Uptown/Plaza Midwood, but currently restaurants are permitted to be open at 50% at capacity. I would say the majority of them are open. However some are still only providing takeout, some are closed hopefully temporarily and a few did unfortunately close permanently.

I haven't been uptown since this started but while the number of people living there has increased in recent years, it definitely seems to cater primarily to the M-F crowd so it may be possible that they have more closed (hopefully temporarily) restaurants than some other areas.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:44 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
Come on down and join in.....Bring plenty of mask and plenty of cash.....lol

Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Come on down and join in.....Bring plenty of mask and plenty of cash.....lol
Lol

Old 08-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Actually rent prices have dropped some from the spring. Looking at a lux 1 BR in Uptown for less than $1100. Plus 2 free months. The second place in Plaza Midwood, also less than $1100 50 sqft larger than the Uptown unit. No deals, but in walking distance to social amenities on Central. I’m worried downtown would be dead because as mentioned above, places cater to the M-F 8 to 5 crowd and entertainment events which aren’t happening right now. So, maybe PM is the better choice.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 AM

29 posts, read 34,583 times
i heard that before the coronavirus struck, that most of "uptown" restaraunts and etc catered to the M-F workers. Meaning they closed early like 5-6pm and where closed weekends. Is that true? If so what is their to do outside the normal hours?

I live in raleigh btw but looking at a potential move to charlotte when my lease ends in feb of next year. (Hopefully the economy is back to booming).

Old 08-24-2020, 03:38 PM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
I am not sure where you got your info that uptown closes at 5pm on weekdays and bars and restaurants are closed on weekends. That has not been the case for nearly 25 years. Back then uptown had virtually no residents and it was a 9-5 culture. But that is long ago and things have changed dramatically. Before COVID , uptown has been lively and vibrant on nights and weekends, and this has been the case for years. Charlotte has doubled in size over last 25 years and uptown has changed enormously. I am certain that uptown will return to normal after COVID passes. But now uptown is dead. Very few restaurants and bars are open in uptown. But other bar area’s such as south end, plaza Midwood, and NODA are also slow to return to normal. All of these are pretty dead for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte