Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2021, 08:13 PM

425 posts, read 421,326 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids in CMS, but I have found the news articles about this to be interesting. It sounds like George Dunlap is fed up with the evasiveness and excuse-making of CMS... It reminds me of how he reached a "had enough" stage with Tent City a few months ago.

I dunno if I am ready to agree that withholding 11% of the country school budget is the right approach. I would think that just hands the Meck BOE another explanation for poor performance. But it certainly got their attention!

The Mecklenburg commission is 9-0 Democrats and the school board has been a Dem majority for as long as I can remember. At least it makes for entertaining theatrics to watch them trade blame and threats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 12:03 AM

5,468 posts, read 6,104,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
I don't have kids in CMS, but I have found the news articles about this to be interesting. It sounds like George Dunlap is fed up with the evasiveness and excuse-making of CMS... It reminds me of how he reached a "had enough" stage with Tent City a few months ago.

I dunno if I am ready to agree that withholding 11% of the country school budget is the right approach. I would think that just hands the Meck BOE another explanation for poor performance. But it certainly got their attention!

The Mecklenburg commission is 9-0 Democrats and the school board has been a Dem majority for as long as I can remember. At least it makes for entertaining theatrics to watch them trade blame and threats.
Reminds me of the Union County spat of 8-10 years ago that ended up in court. At that time both boards were controlled by Republicans. Now they've kissed and made up as I'm sure the Meck bunch will eventually. Meanwhile, enjoy the psuedo-drama.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,583,642 times
The school requirements have been so dumbed down at this point I don't understand how anyone fails. Schools are not allowed to discipline the kids, late assignments have to be counted, extra credit for most projects, etc.

The discussion is always about 'narrowing the gap' instead of 'raising the bar'. ​

In order to be 'equitable' lets just give every kid an 'A'.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:58 AM

425 posts, read 421,326 times
I have lived in the Charlotte region for almost 20 years now. Like anywhere, people can grumble about government inefficiency.

But I can say that I have heard an occasional positive comment about county government for establishing the Greenway system, and keeping taxes modest. I have heard some positive comments that Charlotte and the local towns will fix infrastructure that needs repair, and the staff will answer your questions.

Nobody ever says good things about CMS administration. At best, people may say they like some of the teachers they have met in person or the IB options available at the school their child attends.

Gaston county do not have a spectacular system, but at least it keeps a low profile in the news. If I ever have kids, I will be relieved to keep CMS theatrics in the distance.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:49 AM

2,487 posts, read 1,431,213 times
CMS spends millions each year for so called "training/educational/business related " out of town trips for certain groups of employees . The public for the most part doesn't even know about this and it for sure will not be publicized by CMS.They get paid for all of their expenses (except golf fees) like mileage to drive to the "seminar (vacation) locations.This month for example CMS will fund the NCPTA "siminar" . This waste I hope is one of the things a cut back in funding will stop. We will never know most likely .

Old 06-12-2021, 12:36 PM

5,468 posts, read 6,104,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
CMS spends millions each year for so called "training/educational/business related " out of town trips for certain groups of employees . The public for the most part doesn't even know about this and it for sure will not be publicized by CMS.They get paid for all of their expenses (except golf fees) like mileage to drive to the "seminar (vacation) locations.This month for example CMS will fund the NCPTA "siminar" . This waste I hope is one of the things a cut back in funding will stop. We will never know most likely .
While I agree there should be a review of expenses for such trips, especially the frequency and locations. They are not "all expense" paid trips.

The conference registration is normally covered, there is a mileage reimbursement, per diem is in effect either out of state or in state variety. Receipts must be turned in with expense account. Anything spent over the per diem is out of pocket.

All of this information is easily obtainable by attending BoE committee meetings, or asking for FOIA documentation from the finance dept.

As far as who gets to go:
Not just "certain" groups, but just about every group (within departmental budget constraints) that can document a need for additional training or education in their field of study.

Old 06-15-2021, 09:10 AM

444 posts, read 583,598 times
Default Lol

Lesson learned. Do not move to Mecklenburg County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: