Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2008, 10:56 AM

67 posts, read 254,523 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've posted on here before and I've always had great responses. I'm really excited about our move in 2 weeks but I am getting a little nervous since NY is all I've ever known. Any tips for when we get down there?

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,498,243 times
Hi missyp32!

It's normal to be nervous. If you weren't, I think I'd be a bit worried about you!

Just come down with an open mind. Be willing to try new things - get out and explore. Don't be afraid to ask questions of your coworkers, neighbors, and folks on this board.

It's ok to miss home, but don't wallow in those feelings. If you do, it's likely you'll start comparing Charlotte to your home, and that is always going to be an apples to oranges comparison. No two places are exactly the same. Instead, revel in all of the new experiences your're going to have, and give yourself time to get acclimated.

Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:15 AM

11 posts, read 31,411 times
I moved from NY also - grew up in Armonk and college in Fredonia and worked in NYC. Loved all the experiences and enjoy visiting NY, but glad I moved to Charlotte. Charlotte offered me a nice way of life and a great place to raise my family. It does get very hot in the summer, but it will cool down. From charlotte you can go to the mountains or the beach in a reasonable time frame.
Welcome to Charlotte - I believe you'll love it here. With any move, it is a brand new start!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 03:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
I have moved several times to new cities . . . and I think the thing I learned that helped me feel acclimated faster - was to drive around and get my bearings - keep going out in the car - or walking - and finding what is nearby. I always start out w/ a little path that takes me to the grocery store, pharmacy, post office, etc. Then I add on more day after day. Finding where I will shop for things makes me feel a bit more in control. Also, find the closest hospital as that makes me feel good to know where to go in case of an emergency. Then I get my bank set up immediately - that helps, too . . . and it takes a while to get a new ATM card . . .

Finding treasured "new spots" - like a wonderful coffee shoppe . . . or a cute boutique . . . or a wonderful park . . . or a new restaurant . . . will also help (at least - it does for me). Also - start scoping out new hair dresser . . .

Make sure you have everyone's email address back home. Start a blog and post pictures of your new home and the areas around town that you like.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 05-16-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-16-2008, 04:27 PM

444 posts, read 1,649,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp32 View Post
Hello!

I've posted on here before and I've always had great responses. I'm really excited about our move in 2 weeks but I am getting a little nervous since NY is all I've ever known. Any tips for when we get down there?

thanks!!
You will love this area most of the local people are very friendly and caring.
They will do everything they can to make you feel at home. Just let them know that you are new to the area and receptive to them.

Anifani has a great idea and I recommend you do just as she has stated.

I have lived here since I was 5 years old and the one thing I like to do is tease you New Yorkars about the way you talk. But believe me it is all in fun and to let you know we like you.

Please take care and if any of us can help, please just start a new thread and we will be there for you.

Dunroven

Old 05-16-2008, 07:37 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
You will love this area most of the local people are very friendly and caring.
They will do everything they can to make you feel at home. Just let them know that you are new to the area and receptive to them.

Anifani has a great idea and I recommend you do just as she has stated.

I have lived here since I was 5 years old and the one thing I like to do is tease you New Yorkars about the way you talk. But believe me it is all in fun and to let you know we like you.

Please take care and if any of us can help, please just start a new thread and we will be there for you.

Dunroven
You will love this area most of the local people are very friendly and caring~
I agree with you there, the natives are generally very friendly, churchgoing individuals, its some of the influx that are down right rude, arogant, and drive like maniacs!!!!

Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM

67 posts, read 254,523 times
Thanks everyone!! I'm very excited but I know it will be a big change. I think I'm most worried because I will be working from home (which is great and yet maybe not so great at the same time for meeting new people).

I know I'll meet people and it will be home eventually but just getting the jitters We've visited a few times and everyone was very nice and helpful.

thanks again...the excitement and fear come and go for now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: