Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2006, 07:57 PM

4 posts, read 13,430 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to NC somewhere near Cary or outside of Charolette. My husband is there right now and will be looking around this week. I am in healthcare (Physical Therapy) he will be starting his own business (electrician). We currently live on Long Island and can no longer afford to live here. One of our main concerns is our 10 year old son. He is autistic and receives many services here on Long Island paid by the school district. In NC I am not hearing many positives on the special education ed for autism. Seems like the schools very limited services, the rest you have to pay out of pocket. (We had already done that when we lived in FL 6 years ago. Our families are here and they convinced us to move to NY b/c of the autism services. We just didn't count on the cost of living and housing skyrocketing out of control.)
Our son is pretty involved so I don't want to leave him high and dry when he still has so much potential. I am considering Cary, NC only b/c of a very good private school that I know about.
If there is anyone on this list that knows of any families that have a child with autism and is happy where they are I would love to know.
Moving to a new place is always hard. Having a child with special needs makes the process even harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 10:36 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dptt7fl View Post
I am considering relocating to NC somewhere near Cary or outside of Charolette. My husband is there right now and will be looking around this week. I am in healthcare (Physical Therapy) he will be starting his own business (electrician). We currently live on Long Island and can no longer afford to live here. One of our main concerns is our 10 year old son. He is autistic and receives many services here on Long Island paid by the school district. In NC I am not hearing many positives on the special education ed for autism. Seems like the schools very limited services, the rest you have to pay out of pocket. (We had already done that when we lived in FL 6 years ago. Our families are here and they convinced us to move to NY b/c of the autism services. We just didn't count on the cost of living and housing skyrocketing out of control.)
Our son is pretty involved so I don't want to leave him high and dry when he still has so much potential. I am considering Cary, NC only b/c of a very good private school that I know about.
If there is anyone on this list that knows of any families that have a child with autism and is happy where they are I would love to know.
Moving to a new place is always hard. Having a child with special needs makes the process even harder.
I have no clue about the schools since my daughter is still not old enough to begin kindergarten, but I will tell you something about Cary and Charlotte. My husband and I first considered Holly Springs which is next to Cary/Apex. We loved the area but my husband's job oppty brought us to the Charlotte area. We live outside of Charlotte and it is much cheaper in comparison to Cary. Cary has gotten way too expensive during this past year, mainly because of us northerners moving down and Cary has nothing but northerners (a friend of ours lives in Cary and he tells me how much the real estate and now taxes have gone up since he moved in a year ago). BTW, I don't recall if it's in 2007 or 2008, but Wake County (where Cary/Holly Springs/Apex, etc. are part of) is expected to increase their taxes by nearly 50%. My friend told me that but I don't recall when it's going into effect. On the other hand, the Charlotte area is more of a melting pot, with people from all over. If you live in the Union County part of Charlotte, then your taxes would not be as bad as if you were to live in the Mecklenburg county of Charlotte. As far as schools, the only thing I could think of suggesting is to contact some of the local schools and inquire about special services. If they themselves do not provide any services, perhaps they can recommend a place for you. BTW, you can also go to unioncountymommies.com (that's if you're going to live in the Union County part of Charlotte). Subscribe there and inquire. It's an online forum that a lot of unioncounty moms subscribe to and I do know that some of them have children with special needs. I believe Mecklenburg county has a forum like this as well but you would have to google search it since I don't recall the actual name of the website.

Good luck. I know how expensive Long Island has become. We moved down here from Hauppauge in September.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,053 times
Default Cone on down to Cary

Cary's taxes are not going up 50%! It sounds like that person wants to stop Northerners from coming down.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
I'd suggest the Charlotte area. It's very affordable, especially in the suburban counties. Recreationally, there's more to do here as well.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM

483 posts, read 1,567,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlee View Post
Cary's taxes are not going up 50%! It sounds like that person wants to stop Northerners from coming down.
My friend confirmed that he had read the same thing I read in the Charlotte Observer a while back. Maybe it's not 50%, but it's definitely going up, which is no different than any other major county in NC. But I don't find that surprising considering that the county does have to find a way to deal with the overcrowding.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,010 times
Default Cary Vs. Charlotte

Hi There! I have lived in NYC for a small time during college but am a native southerner!
We lived in Holly Springs when our son was diagnosed with Autism. Yes there are some services but from what I here there are lots of states that do more for their EC population than NC does. We have now moved to the Union County area of Charlotte. We have always chosen small towns outside of the city for tax and other reasons.
To give you a break down of both and the autistic view of each.
Holly Springs/ Cary area:
Wake Co School system will give
give your child services but you
will have to be knowledgable and
you may have to fight for srvcs

Cary is only 20 min away from
Holly Springs (everything is!)

Union Co/ Charlotte Area:
Meck Co School system is a MESS!
Union Co elementary schools are
all schools of excellence but you
may have to have your child bused
to a better school 4 him (We do)
Fastest growing county in NC

We are now looking into private schools for my son. He was diagnosed when he was three in Raleigh. No one told me that I should see a neurologist until I got here to Union Co. I would have loved that information before! No one suggested that I try for Social Security in Raleigh. That info would have been helpful. Since moving here we have had lots of good luck but my son is starting to need more help and I don't see the school doing it.

Carl is 6 and in the 1st grade. He still can't read and his behaviors are starting to escalate. Although Carl's school is a really good school they have a large EC population. And I feel like they have let him down in several ways.
I hope this helps and I hope you find the best situation for you and your family. If you need anymore info just email me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte