Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2022, 07:43 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,963,505 times

Advertisements

Hey all, we recently made a trip to Charlotte (to see if a move would make sense) with stops in WV, and Asheville, and overall were very happy with our experience.

We are lifelong Chicago folks (mid/late 30s), and looking for something new... #1 reason for the move is weather, as we are looking for a bit more summer, and the ability to be outside more. #2 I love what Charlotte is near... 3ish hours to the ocean, 2 hours to the mountains, 3ish hours to ATL, and a quick flight to the rest of the NE. Lastly, looking for a bit more space/backyard. While I love being able to walk to 100 bars/restaurants in Chicago, having a 'nice' backyard has become the goal.

Couple questions...

How is the job market? I'm in tech sales, and she is a a waitress at a high end restaurant. I will be moving with my job, however my company does not have a large presence in Charlotte, so I'm keeping that in mind. She will not have a job, however I'm fairly confident she can find something quick (although probably at lower comp).

Location/housing? I will mostly be WFH, with the occasional trip to CLT. We were big fans of the South park area, and she will likely be working from this area, however we cant afford it . My thought was to be within 20-25min of this area, which is a LARGE area. Are there any specific areas to focus in on, or cross out within this range? We will likely be renting for the first year, and it looks like you get get a decent house for about $2k a month, or $2500 for a 'nice'. Does this sound about right?

Anything else we should be aware of our considering? About to sign up with a realtor, so its getting 'real'

thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2022, 08:18 AM

335 posts, read 429,419 times
I think you'll find the weather to be pretty sweltering in the summer, as our summers here seem to be taking over from May to September...but the mild winters are a nice trade off, in my opinion.
The job market in the area is pretty healthy, I work in real estate and in IT project management, so I can speak a little to the increase in IT related jobs over the recent years, I think you'll be fine here...Charlotte offers plenty of waitress/service industry positions as well as tons of healthcare and bank opportunities that she may be interested in pursuing if she wants to get out of the restaurant space (I have a couple friends who moved out of bartending and waiting tables into teller/bank positions and have been pretty happy with the better work life balance despite taking a cut in pay).

Housing is still very aggressive in the area, although I do seem to believe it is cooling a little with rate increases...but with a rental budget of 2500, you have some slim pickins for houses. The link below show all the listings in the area (including apartments and townhomes) currently in the MLS that aren't run by large corporations under $2500...not a lot of options.
Generally speaking, south Charlotte has been considered the most stable and desirable market in the area, hence why you liked South Park so much...so anything in that vicinity would be a good idea. It sounds like you may enjoy Matthews (just my first impression, pretty active suburb with plenty of local stuff to do and nice communities)...wouldn't be too totally sleepy compared to some of the other burbs we have, and it's within the 25 minute wish list (but pushing it with traffic). Ballantyne if you can find a rental in your budget.
I'd also check out Harrisburg and Huntersville as other suburbs, but they won't fit your 25 minute requirement.

https://imgur.com/a/C0yAoW2

Last edited by MikeyRocksNC; 06-22-2022 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 06-22-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I think you'll find the weather to be pretty sweltering in the summer, as our summers here seem to be taking over from May to September...but the mild winters are a nice trade off, in my opinion.
The job market in the area is pretty healthy, I work in real estate and in IT project management, so I can speak a little to the increase in IT related jobs over the recent years, I think you'll be fine here...Charlotte offers plenty of waitress/service industry positions as well as tons of healthcare and bank opportunities that she may be interested in pursuing if she wants to get out of the restaurant space (I have a couple friends who moved out of bartending and waiting tables into teller/bank positions and have been pretty happy with the better work life balance despite taking a cut in pay).

Housing is still very aggressive in the area, although I do seem to believe it is cooling a little with rate increases...but with a rental budget of 2500, you have some slim pickins for houses. The link below show all the listings in the area (including apartments and townhomes) currently in the MLS that aren't run by large corporations under $2500...not a lot of options.
Generally speaking, south Charlotte has been considered the most stable and desirable market in the area, hence why you liked South Park so much...so anything in that vicinity would be a good idea. It sounds like you may enjoy Matthews (just my first impression, pretty active suburb with plenty of local stuff to do and nice communities)...wouldn't be too totally sleepy compared to some of the other burbs we have, and it's within the 25 minute wish list (but pushing it with traffic). Ballantyne if you can find a rental in your budget.
I'd also check out Harrisburg and Huntersville as other suburbs, but they won't fit your 25 minute requirement.

https://imgur.com/a/C0yAoW2
Thanks for the feedback, super helpful.

In terms of housing, I've just been continually checking sites like Redfin, but we havent yet made the trip to see places in person yet.

Not to say I want or like the below place, but feel like I've seen several similar listings in this range, which should be about 15min from the desired area... Is this realistic, or a scam?

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Charlotte/.../home/44015990

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2022, 01:45 PM

335 posts, read 429,419 times
Doesn't seem unrealistic in that area, not a "bad" area but it isn't exactly South Park or Ballantyne, but it is an easy drive over to South Park, easy to Ballantyne, not bad to uptown, would be a good spot to crash for a year while you learn the city and decide where you may want to purchase.

Old 06-22-2022, 06:45 PM

Thanks! That was my thought as well. Also good to know I’m not looking at an invisible bridge somewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte