Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 07:04 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times

Advertisements

Compared to the bustling Triangle section, it’s crickets here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 07:09 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,703,724 times
People moved on to other websites that are more modern, easier to use, and have better discussions. The Triangle forum is an outlier for all of City-Data, which in general is a declining website. Many sub-forums across City-Data haven't had posts in WEEKS. The Triangle just has a core group of very active posters that other cities no longer have on this website. The Triangle also seems to have more real estate agents participating compared to other cities on the site.

I also don't have any data on this... but I would say the average City-Data poster seems to skew towards 40+ years old based on content posted. This website is not flooded with threads from younger posters, who are among the most mobile group of people moving from place to place. Rather than using City-Data, a young person can watch one of many Instagram or YouTube videos made on moving to Charlotte or The Triangle by influencers, see videos of the neighborhoods, have a chat with other people in the comments section, et... and get a much more dynamic set of viewpoints than the limited groups participating still on City-Data.

City-Data as a whole needs to make some big changes to keep from becoming completely irrelevant, including embedding more rich media, videos, social media postings, et... the fact you can't share an Instagram reel in the forum easily is a major negative compared to more modern forums.

Last edited by CLT4; 04-04-2022 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-04-2022, 07:22 AM

335 posts, read 429,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
People moved on to other websites that are more modern, easier to use, and have better discussions. The Triangle forum is an outlier for all of City-Data, which in general is a declining website. Many sub-forums across City-Data haven't had posts in WEEKS. The Triangle just has a core group of very active posters that other cities no longer have on this website. The Triangle also seems to have more real estate agents participating compared to other cities on the site.

I also don't have any data on this... but I would say the average City-Data poster seems to skew towards 40+ years old based on content posted. This website is not flooded with threads from younger posters, who are among the most mobile group of people moving from place to place. They don't turn to City-Data for info any longer like past generations as there are better alternatives. There seems to be more threads about people looking for a home to retire in for example than young professionals relocating.

City-Data as a whole needs to make some big changes to keep from becoming completely irrelevant.
Agreed, which is unfortunate because I do think there are some really helpful opinions (and some antiquated ones as well) on this forum that could be largely beneficial for locals and newcomers alike. I think Reddit has filled the void for many folks these days. If there was a reliable and user friendly app that supported this website (I know Tapatalk used to support this site with their app, not sure if it still does, but I think Tapatalk sucks anyway) I think it would be more successful, as I really appreciate the different viewpoints I get from this forum vs what I believe to be a younger audience on Reddit.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
Agreed, which is unfortunate because I do think there are some really helpful opinions (and some antiquated ones as well) on this forum that could be largely beneficial for locals and newcomers alike. I think Reddit has filled the void for many folks these days. If there was a reliable and user friendly app that supported this website (I know Tapatalk used to support this site with their app, not sure if it still does, but I think Tapatalk sucks anyway) I think it would be more successful, as I really appreciate the different viewpoints I get from this forum vs what I believe to be a younger audience on Reddit.
Reddit DEFINITELY took a lot of momentum from City-Data. There are more posts in Charlotte group on Reddit in the last 24 hours than there has been on here in 3 weeks. Thread on there regularly get 100 - 200 comments versus 5 - 10 on this site. There's a 154,000+ members for a Charlotte group... 280 people online right now, et... all the numbers are just in their favor + you can share rich media in the posts and have a native app. I think you are starting to see older people that might have used a site like this start to navigate to more popular mediums... similar to how they were delayed users of social media, but now very active on sites like Facebook (and slowly but surely adopting Instagram).

Then you have the vlogs on YouTube, et... Influencers that are getting 50,000+ views where people get their advice on where to move from their video blog with hundreds of comments. City-Data is just kind of... stuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_tq2qJ_Ls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1M9wCCfEGQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJuCmUX3UE

Last edited by CLT4; 04-04-2022 at 07:55 AM..

Old 04-04-2022, 07:58 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
Facebook as well. Many groups on there get a lot of posts, and a lot of people ask about where to move, schools, and such. You don't get as many trolls either.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Facebook as well. Many groups on there get a lot of posts, and a lot of people ask about where to move, schools, and such. You don't get as many trolls either.
Nextdoor for local chat specific to the neighborhood as well. I think Reddit took local chat for the millennials, and Facebook and Nextdoor are covering local chat for Gen X and Boomers.

City-Data... I often ask myself why I'm still here given how much it declined... but alas LOL.

Old 04-04-2022, 08:42 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,655,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Compared to the bustling Triangle section, it’s crickets here.
I never said anything, but I often wondered the same thing.

Old 04-04-2022, 10:20 AM

447 posts, read 374,882 times
I seem to have lots of other things to do. When I can squeeze in a half of an hour, I post. Believe that may be the reason for the cricket like situation. It isn't the quantity, it is the quality. Right?

Old 04-04-2022, 05:22 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
Great and insightful responses. Thanks

Old 04-04-2022, 06:47 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,249,160 times
Online message boards in general are going the way of the dinosaur. Reddit, YouTube, Twitter, etc. pretty much eat up a good chunk of what people are looking for.

FWIW this sub-forum used to be a lot more active. But I think a lot of the "regulars" are "retired" for lack of a better term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte