Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 03:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I appreciate you helping us out.

Speaking of sides, one is driving the country into bankruptcy and wokeness with constant division. The other I guess is trying to "control everything" whatever that means. lol

What an odd thing to say. Helping you out? The benefit was ours, believe me. That was our only concern when making the decision we made. I'm not sure that comment really hits like you think it does. I see daily the growing pains Charlotte is having with violent crime, failing schools, poor infrastructure and inadequate transportation. We left a state ranked 43rd in education for one ranked 2nd. Our current state on a national level is 2nd for safety, 4th for qualify of life, and 1st for medical. For comparison NC ranks 21st in safety, 13th for quality of life, and 30th for healthcare. So I guess really the one I feel sorry for making a snide comment like that is you, not us. We traded gunshots in Steele Creek for ocean views.

I mean it's so unbearable to write this listening to the waves, ya know? I don't know if your intention was to somehow hurt my feelings or make me feel jealous you still reside in Charlotte but you have accomplished neither of those. It wasn't really a hard choice for us if I'm being honest.

I always find it funny when I see people making a comment like that, as if they're defending some top kept secret about a place. "The bible belt is paved in gold and only idiots live outside it". If we're being honest with ourselves and just from a purely statistical standpoint it's one of the worst regions to live in the US. Politics aside because that's personal preference, it ranks in bottom 10 or so for most of the important aspects of living in a place. I'm just speaking on data alone

All that said I'm happy you're happy we left. We're also happy. So at the end of the day it sounds like we're in agreement and your passive aggressive comments were wasted effort.

Also, I will not get into detailed political conversations with you but for the sake of clarification, "controlling" everything would refer to women's reproductive rights, banning and restricting what people read and teach, criminalizing words, drag shows etc. You know exactly what I meant but if you want to play ignorant that's your prerogative. Have a nice day.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 04-25-2023 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 05:34 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,661,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Ah of course. People flock to NC mainly because the cost of living is lower, it's a slower pace, more relaxed and such than the places they're running from. Then get down here and want to implement the same policies and practices that made their home state ridiculously expensive in the first place.
That's pretty much the case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
If we're being honest with ourselves and just from a purely statistical standpoint it's one of the worst regions to live in the US. Politics aside because that's personal preference, it ranks in bottom 10 or so for most of the important aspects of living in a place. I'm just speaking on data alone
If this is such an unattractive region, can you explain why middle, and upper middle class, New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are flooding the Carolina's?

Old 04-26-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
That's pretty much the case...

If this is such an unattractive region, can you explain why middle, and upper middle class, New Yorkers and New Jerseyans are flooding the Carolina's?
Like the previous poster said, cheaper cost of living and they're always second and third homes. When money isn't an issue, neither are amenities or access to important things. We had a few in our neighborhood down there who traveled often back to NY/NJ/MA for things like doctors trips and treatments. They weren't stuck with the lower quality options like others there so they had less to worry about long term. One traveled back to Boston ever month for cancer treatments.

Like the Floridan snowbirds I suspect a lot of them also hold on to their northern residences most of the year and half back it to NC in the winter months. Thats a phenomenon that has been going on decades. Hence the constant complaints by southerners about the political standings of their cities being changed over time. Most of these northerners aren't coming for the amazing offerings of the school and medical systems in small town bible belt. They're coming for two things. Cheaper taxes/housing and lack of snow. They get the most out of their taxes up north before coming here to sit on a boat on the lake 7 days a week. A small percentage I think are moving with smaller children for political alignment or job transfers, there will always be some looking for that. Just as others are leaving for the same reason.

Younger generations are more mobile now with wfh and have no children. They're digital nomads and may choose to move to places like NC for work without the worry of long term commitment or need for schools. Thats a whole other sect of ppl from the north and from Cali.

Go to any Fla board on here though and look at the reason the bulk of northerners (mostly old) are moving south. They'll give you two reason and they're always the same. Cheaper taxes and lack of snow. Those will be the only two reasons they're looking to make the move. They're not touting to move south because they've heard the school systems are the best and medical is top notch.

What you'll see are comments like "when our last graduates in a few years" before making the move. I grew up in SWFL with one of the largest concentrated populations of snowbirds in the state. These people vacationed to the area throughout their children's lives, only making the permanent move once they hit college. They take full advantage of the better schooling and amenities when they're most needed before making the jump.

just my two cents

Old 04-26-2023, 07:57 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,661,552 times
Quote:
Just my two cents
You brought up several fair points, although all in all, you and I differ on how we view this region - and it's partly because of where you lived, when you resided in NC.

Old 04-26-2023, 11:29 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,469,367 times
Quote:
What an odd thing to say. Helping you out? The benefit was ours, believe me. That was our only concern when making the decision we made. I'm not sure that comment really hits like you think it does. I see daily the growing pains Charlotte is having with violent crime, failing schools, poor infrastructure and inadequate transportation. We left a state ranked 43rd in education for one ranked 2nd. Our current state on a national level is 2nd for safety, 4th for qualify of life, and 1st for medical. For comparison NC ranks 21st in safety, 13th for quality of life, and 30th for healthcare. So I guess really the one I feel sorry for making a snide comment like that is you, not us. We traded gunshots in Steele Creek for ocean views.

I mean it's so unbearable to write this listening to the waves, ya know? I don't know if your intention was to somehow hurt my feelings or make me feel jealous you still reside in Charlotte but you have accomplished neither of those. It wasn't really a hard choice for us if I'm being honest.

I always find it funny when I see people making a comment like that, as if they're defending some top kept secret about a place. "The bible belt is paved in gold and only idiots live outside it". If we're being honest with ourselves and just from a purely statistical standpoint it's one of the worst regions to live in the US. Politics aside because that's personal preference, it ranks in bottom 10 or so for most of the important aspects of living in a place. I'm just speaking on data alone

All that said I'm happy you're happy we left. We're also happy. So at the end of the day it sounds like we're in agreement and your passive aggressive comments were wasted effort.

Also, I will not get into detailed political conversations with you but for the sake of clarification, "controlling" everything would refer to women's reproductive rights, banning and restricting what people read and teach, criminalizing words, drag shows etc. You know exactly what I meant but if you want to play ignorant that's your prerogative. Have a nice day.

The best part of all this is you think people move to the south from northern states just because of taxes and no snow. You truly believe that. Newsflash, the less snow and lower taxes have been a thing for decades and yet we're seeing migration numbers like never before. A mass exodus from liberal crap holes like CA, NY, MA, NJ, IL, MI, etc. all leaving for red states.

I think you arrived in NC and thought you'd find a similar group of people like yourself politically and found out differently. Certainly you knew where NC ranked in education, health care, safety, etc before you moved here, right? It didn't stop you. But I don't think you realized people are moving here to get away from liberal policies and laws because they saw what happened in their states already.

Fact is, whatever state you currently reside in most likely is experiencing a net decline in population due to this exodus I just laid out for you. People are moving to the south now for some different reasons than they were 4 years ago. My neighbors, most of which are from some northern state, are probably even more conservative than myself. They only return because of family there and certainly do not own a primary residence in those places. LOL

It's great you bring up drag shows as I know that's a hardcore liberal goal, drag shows for every kid! LOL So disgusting. Oh, and want to talk about criminalizing words? You think that's a conservative thing, clearly. Do you know who Douglass Mackey is? He's a conservative who was recently sentenced to prison for posting MEMES in 2016 about Hillary Clinton. Naturally he was convicted in a NY court by liberal judges with an agenda. Please, by all means, let that sink in for a minute before you tell me about a party trying to control words. This is the type of stuff people are leaving liberal states in droves because of, not taxes or less snow, at least not in 2023.

Again, thank you for leaving.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
The best part of all this is you think people move to the south from northern states just because of taxes and no snow. You truly believe that. Newsflash, the less snow and lower taxes have been a thing for decades and yet we're seeing migration numbers like never before. A mass exodus from liberal crap holes like CA, NY, MA, NJ, IL, MI, etc. all leaving for red states.

I think you arrived in NC and thought you'd find a similar group of people like yourself politically and found out differently. Certainly you knew where NC ranked in education, health care, safety, etc before you moved here, right? It didn't stop you. But I don't think you realized people are moving here to get away from liberal policies and laws because they saw what happened in their states already.

Fact is, whatever state you currently reside in most likely is experiencing a net decline in population due to this exodus I just laid out for you. People are moving to the south now for some different reasons than they were 4 years ago. My neighbors, most of which are from some northern state, are probably even more conservative than myself. They only return because of family there and certainly do not own a primary residence in those places. LOL

It's great you bring up drag shows as I know that's a hardcore liberal goal, drag shows for every kid! LOL So disgusting. Oh, and want to talk about criminalizing words? You think that's a conservative thing, clearly. Do you know who Douglass Mackey is? He's a conservative who was recently sentenced to prison for posting MEMES in 2016 about Hillary Clinton. Naturally he was convicted in a NY court by liberal judges with an agenda. Please, by all means, let that sink in for a minute before you tell me about a party trying to control words. This is the type of stuff people are leaving liberal states in droves because of, not taxes or less snow, at least not in 2023.

Again, thank you for leaving.
Firstly, Douglass Mackey went to jail for Conspiracy Against Rights, a felony. He was part of a scheme to deprive individuals of their constitutional right to vote. Not for posting memes. So right off the bat we have false claims and delusional thinking on your part. Must be that southern education kicking in..

NC educational rankings didn't stop me because I had no use for it. Didn't send my child to the school systems in NC and she's forever better off for it.

Also, not that I truly believe thats why snowbirds leave their states lol. Do you just make up things and post it down as truth? This is beyond easy to even look up. Its fact, go to any snowbird destination board on this forum and see the reasons. I grew up in it, listened to it my whole life. Saw it all over the mom boards on FB. If the the majority were leaving for political reasons then why all the southerners saying "don't bring your politics here"? Because thats exactly what they do. They're looking for a monetary change not a political one. Again there are outliers.... Google "why northerners move south".. top 5 reasons. 1. Affordability · 2. Better Weather · 3. More S-P-A-C-E · 4. Getaways Galore · 5. The FOOD. Straight off a realty site.

Lets try again.... ah... another one..
1. Affordability/Value · 2. Low Property Taxes · 3. Weather · 4. Variety of Properties · 5. Tradition/Legacy ...

https://dreamlifemyrtlebeach.com/top...le-beach-sean/

Half of my family are snowbirds. I could give you written testimonies on the reasons and it'll be in that order above lol.

You just sound hateful.. I've never been to a drag show in my life. My child certainly hasn't. You assume I'm liberal. I never once said I was, in fact I've voted red more than I've voted blue in my life. But keep making assumptions, false claims. Also isn't your party the party of less goverment? Weird you'd want them involved in drag shows, schools, churches, homes etc. Sounds like big govt to me. How very dem of you.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:17 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,359,254 times
Politics aside; Charlotte is really a terrific city to live in if you can afford to live in a desirable part of Charlotte. Steele Creek is (for the most part) "affordable Charlotte". In Charlotte affordable is not synonymous with the desirable and this is an ugly truth that the city needs to work on....

Old 05-03-2023, 08:46 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,469,367 times
Quote:
Firstly, Douglass Mackey went to jail for Conspiracy Against Rights, a felony. He was part of a scheme to deprive individuals of their constitutional right to vote. Not for posting memes. So right off the bat we have false claims and delusional thinking on your part. Must be that southern education kicking in..

NC educational rankings didn't stop me because I had no use for it. Didn't send my child to the school systems in NC and she's forever better off for it.

Also, not that I truly believe thats why snowbirds leave their states lol. Do you just make up things and post it down as truth? This is beyond easy to even look up. Its fact, go to any snowbird destination board on this forum and see the reasons. I grew up in it, listened to it my whole life. Saw it all over the mom boards on FB. If the the majority were leaving for political reasons then why all the southerners saying "don't bring your politics here"? Because thats exactly what they do. They're looking for a monetary change not a political one. Again there are outliers.... Google "why northerners move south".. top 5 reasons. 1. Affordability · 2. Better Weather · 3. More S-P-A-C-E · 4. Getaways Galore · 5. The FOOD. Straight off a realty site.

Lets try again.... ah... another one..
1. Affordability/Value · 2. Low Property Taxes · 3. Weather · 4. Variety of Properties · 5. Tradition/Legacy ...

https://dreamlifemyrtlebeach.com/top...le-beach-sean/

Half of my family are snowbirds. I could give you written testimonies on the reasons and it'll be in that order above lol.

You just sound hateful.. I've never been to a drag show in my life. My child certainly hasn't. You assume I'm liberal. I never once said I was, in fact I've voted red more than I've voted blue in my life. But keep making assumptions, false claims. Also isn't your party the party of less goverment? Weird you'd want them involved in drag shows, schools, churches, homes etc. Sounds like big govt to me. How very dem of you.

Mackey literally went to jail for posting memes. The charge is liberals talking but the actual act was posting memes. How much jail time did Hillary serve for using campaign money to fund the Steele Dossier to influence the election? I'll give you a hint, it's the same amount as the amount of credibility you have with me.

Again, thank you for leaving. Glad to see we still live in your head rent free though as you troll message boards of a place you don't even live.

Old 05-03-2023, 09:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,734,016 times
Quote:

Hey Sweetbottoms! Are you in Massachusetts now? We were just there in Boston visiting family. Driving around the city and suburbs I realized the little things I missed about growing up there. The city energy was the same, but I miss being able to drive to the ocean (harbor) in 20-30 minutes. I lived in NC as well (Charlotte) and enjoyed the our time there. The state is beautiful and people are friendly. However, there are definitely differences between the two states (Mass and NC) when it comes to national rankings. We will probably be visiting the Bay State again in the summer.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Hey Sweetbottoms! Are you in Massachusetts now? We were just there in Boston visiting family. Driving around the city and suburbs I realized the little things I missed about growing up there. The city energy was the same, but I miss being able to drive to the ocean (harbor) in 20-30 minutes. I lived in NC as well (Charlotte) and enjoyed the our time there. The state is beautiful and people are friendly. However, there are definitely differences between the two states (Mass and NC) when it comes to national rankings. We will probably be visiting the Bay State again in the summer.

Yes we are up here. I was down in Charlotte not too long ago helping my sister move back up here but that was the last of it as far as business goes down there. Have a great trip up! Summers are the bests here. We spend a lot of time down in Rockport and Ipswich with family in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte