Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 10:27 AM

55 posts, read 197,858 times

Advertisements

I have grown up on Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri and I love the lake. It is full of boats and bars and places to eat with live music that you can boat too. I was wondering in lake Norman is the same. If anyone has been to both please tell me all about it. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 10:39 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Hey, Sally! My DH is from STL and four of his brothers have homes on Lake/Ozarks. I am an NC native but used to live in KCMO and spent a lot of time at Lake/Ozarks.

LKN is not as crowded and does not have as many boat bars/restaurants. But then, LKN does not get as crazy, either. The last time I was at Lake/Ozarks, it was soooo crowded, but that was Labor Day weekend. Not as many party coves at LKN, either, but again - not so sure that is a bad thing, LOL! I would say Lake/Ozarks was a lot rowdier, crowded . . . and easier to ski on LKN. But Lake/Ozarks has better party areas. Just my opinion, and please know - I have not been out on LKN much since moving back here . . . as we no longer have a boat. Just been w/ friends/relatives - and have not been at all this year.

I had a lot of fun at Lake/Ozarks . . . but mostly at relatives' houses, on their docks and in their party coves - pontoons, music, etc. It was typical for large groups to get together and do bonfires and karaoke in the evenings, LOL.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:19 AM

55 posts, read 197,858 times
What about the boats on lake Norman are they mainly large speed boats? What is lake Wiley like. Does this lake have restaurants and is busy like Lake of the Ozarks?

Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 AM

14 posts, read 38,035 times
Glad to see some other former MO people here in Charlotte. My family and I were borned and raised in STL. We've been happy Charlotte residents for the last 2.5 years.

We too had annual visits to Lake of the Ozarks. Always a good time!

Old 07-07-2008, 08:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1977 View Post
What about the boats on lake Norman are they mainly large speed boats? What is lake Wiley like. Does this lake have restaurants and is busy like Lake of the Ozarks?

No its a great range. Speed Boats, Pontoon Boats, Jet Skis, Fishing boats, Sail Boats etc etc....

Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM

329 posts, read 1,271,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally1977 View Post

The only restaurant on Lake Wylie is T-Bones. There are some sand bars were people gather and party but definitely tamer than Lake of the Ozarks usually - although I love Lake Wylie and always have a blast. Just have to know where to go and know people to hook up with. People in the Charlotte area are very friendly and you shouldn't have any problem meeting people who have boats on the lake and where to go etc.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
No its a great range. Speed Boats, Pontoon Boats, Jet Skis, Fishing boats, Sail Boats etc etc....
Back 20 years ago - you could sail on LKN and it was so peaceful. That has changed - it is a lot more crowded and more wake to deal with. But it still is not like Lake/Ozarks.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-07-2008 at 12:46 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM

45 posts, read 300,833 times
it;s so cool, we are from KCMO and thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC in 2 months ...Nice to know there are former MO residents living in NC right now ..:-)

Old 07-07-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspiggy007 View Post
it;s so cool, we are from KCMO and thinking of moving to Charlotte, NC in 2 months ...Nice to know there are former MO residents living in NC right now ..:-)
I personally think if you like STL and KCMO, you will most likely feel pretty much at home around here. I am a native and I fell in love w/ KCMO - and DH is from STL - enjoyed both areas and could live there - no problem. Come check our area out. There are things I miss about KCMO, of course, but then when I was there - there were things I missed about CLT, too, LOL!!!

Old 07-07-2008, 01:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Back 20 years ago - you could sail on LKN and it was so peaceful. That has changed - it is a lot more crowded and more wake to deal with. But it still is not like Lake/Ozarks.

Yes I remember and being able to camp out and not be bugged to death about the boat floating back to land. Those were the days... man i feel old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte