Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

We have some slick publications . . . as well as tabloids and newspapers . . . but if you had to choose one that really represents Charlotte, what would you select? Business Journal? Charlotte Observer? Creative Loafing? Is there a magazine you like?

Just wondered what others read and if you all are satisfied w/ the quality and information you find in print out there . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have some slick publications . . . as well as tabloids and newspapers . . . but if you had to choose one that really represents Charlotte, what would you select? Business Journal? Charlotte Observer? Creative Loafing? Is there a magazine you like?

Just wondered what others read and if you all are satisfied w/ the quality and information you find in print out there . . .

ani, I havent read any of the other but the Charlotte observer, well they are just awful...

Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,399,178 times
I agree with Berryjuice the papers are lacking, but since you asked us to choose one it would be Creative Loafing. It reminds me of NYC Village Voice. The CL paper is more informative community wise than the major papers.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:56 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
We like the Charlotte Weekly (formerly South Charlotte Weekly).

Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
I read the Business Journal but wish it had a entertainmnet guide to make it a more rounded newspaper.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:00 AM

I appreciate the replies! I grew up reading the CLT OBS - as that was the only "large" newspaper to cover the area. Never was happy w/ it, LOL, and feel even less satisfied w/ it as I have gotten older. I keep leafing through it and thinking - ok - where is the substance in this paper? Where is a meaningful story?

The Business Journal does satisfy some of my news needs, but like QCM, I feel it needs more . . . Creative Loafing has more actually useful info in it than the CLT OBS - at least as far as I am concerned - but it isn't daily . . . sure wish someone could mix all this stuff together and get the right thing out there for us.

I read the Wall Street Journal daily . . . so I get the national business stuff there . . . plus watching cable tv shows . . . What I want is more info on Charlotte itself . . . interesting people and places to go . . . I LIKE GOOD ADS!!! I don't mind ads as long as they really give me info - a new restaurant, for example - or what is playing at the Blumenthal. Ads can be very helpful if done well.

I just wondered if anyone else is like me and my DH and always feels like we are missing out on something - that we aren't really getting the "story" on Charlotte and surrounding areas.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:48 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
For national (world news) I always check www.drudgereport.com The Huntersville Herald is a decent paper for the Huntersville Corridor.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
For national (world news) I always check www.drudgereport.com The Huntersville Herald is a decent paper for the Huntersville Corridor.
I love Drudge!

As far as local is concerned, I really enjoy reading Charlotte Magazine: Charlotte Magazine - CharlotteMagazine.com - Home If you haven't picked one up I encourage you to do so. Makes you feel kinda proud of our city (not that I don't already)!

Last edited by carolina_guy; 07-13-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
I love Drudge!

As far as local is concerned, I really enjoy reading Charlotte Magazine: Charlotte Magazine - CharlotteMagazine.com - Home If you've picked one up I encourage you to do so. Makes you feel kinda proud of our city (not that I don't already)!
I was hoping someone would mention magazines! Thank you for your insight, CG!!!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:56 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,667,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I was hoping someone would mention magazines! Thank you for your insight, CG!!!
Thanks, I think it's great! BTW, That quote should have said, "If you haven't picked one up..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: