Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2008, 03:07 PM

33 posts, read 71,753 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating within a year to Charlotte however someone ask me how was I going to handle my auto insurance and would the rates go up. I had forgotten all about the auto insurance. You guys who have already relocated or are about to, can you give any tips on other things that you may have overlooked or didn't think about before you moved but should have? I need to get a checklist going!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 03:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,570 times
Well, I took the easy way out. I may shop around during the next year and save a lot of money but I had State Farm in NJ and I just called my agent in NJ and they gave me a list of 5 State Farm agents in my neighborhood and I called one and they took care of transferring my policies from NJ to NC, auto, homeowners, umbrella. They keep sending me refund checks, some are the prorated balance on my canceled NJ policies while others are adjustments they have made to my policy premiums. Of course I wrote several checks when I got here for my various policies. So bottom line, easy way is to stay with the same company and let them transfer the policies.

Did you say checklist? They even have a checklist. I don't want to sound like a shill for State Farm. I don't even think they are that great..

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/li..._checklist.asp

Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Check out Geico and Progressive and compare rates.

The main things to remember are to get your info together about utilities so you can get all that set up. (Phone, internet, water/sewer, Electric, Gas if needed and garbage service if not included in HOA or w/ city). Your cell plan - try not to get caught in a situation w/ a plan for a company that won't work here. Also, if renting, and you need to rent a washer/dryer - then get that figured out ahead. I rented a washer/dryer for our townhome when we first moved here - b/f furniture was shipped.

If buying a first home and you will have lawn work, remember to allow funds to get a lawnmower and some lawn tools. People often forget this . . .

Those are a few things off the top of my head.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:47 PM

518 posts, read 2,061,632 times
Find out if your employer deals with a company at discounted rates. First Union (now Wachovia) moved us down here 10 years ago and they had a "deal" with Travelers, we've had them ever since. We have had no issues in our claims, two minor incidentals we claimed, and a 16 year old boy who has wrecked two cars (one at fault), we pay $2400 a year (we have home with them also, and a $250 deductible).

Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Just thought of something else. If you can get a checking account where you are - w/ branches here or main office here - it will make things a lot more simple. That was a hassle - closing out accounts and moving money around.

Some of the banks we have here are Wachovia, Bank of America, BB&T, Fifth/Third . . . those are a few of them.

Old 07-25-2008, 06:44 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,466,810 times
We're with Geico and our rates dropped nearly 50% after moving from FL June 2007. I've had absolutely no problems with them, of course, I haven't had to file a claim. But you can't beat the convenience of not dealing with an agent.

Remember that we have inspections here and you'll have to take a written test to get your NC driver's license...and it's a doosey! There's a study guide online if you Google NC DMV exam study guide. It's borderline a cheat sheet (although, you can't have it out at teh DMV while testing) because it's a compilation of a bunch ofquestions that could show up on the exam. I asked the DMV guy about studying from it and he said there's no difference between studying from it and using the driver's handbook they give you...only the study guide lists everything in a convenient manner for you!

There will also be a one time vehicle tax based on the value of your vehicle when you register.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:08 AM

624 posts, read 2,109,107 times
Here's a little list of what I've done in my first two months down here:

Set up all your utilities, and expect to pay extra the first month for 'hooking' up the electric or whatever the utility may be. Short list being electric, gas, cable/internet, water & seweage. Especially for the cable and internet, if you rely on your internet to work, be sure to set up an appointment. My TWC guy actually showed up 1 hr after calling, but I think I was just lucky.

Other car stuff to consider is just getting your license and maybe transferring your title. There are a lot of good threads if you seach within this forum, but before coming down I'd recommend making sure that you have a Social Security card with your full name (no middle initial). If you don't it'd be handy to get that out of the way before the move.

Ani's advice on setting up a local banking account should be taken to heart. Also keep in mind that when you set up a new checking account they hold your funds for about 10 days before making the funds available, so plan accordingly.

Along with this be sure to notify all your credit card companies if you still get a paper version of your bill. For me it was quick and painless but I was worried that my account information with all my numbers would be sent to my old address. Safest thing, IMO, is just to switch over to electronic statements.

My last thing I'd put on a checklist is finding local doctors that are taking patients and if appropiate take whatever insurance you may have. This is a step I'm still in the process of doing, but I thought a list of good docs was circulating on a thread.

Hope this helps a little.

Also if you're moving with out any immediate friends or family in the area. You may want to search the thread for social groups. There's a lot of us relocators in the area and groups like the Charlotte Young Professionals and the Charlotte Outdoor Clubs offer opportunities to meet people. And of course if there are a number of Church groups that offer similar opportunities to interact with people.

Last edited by MysteryMT; 07-25-2008 at 08:16 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 02:23 PM

329 posts, read 1,272,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just thought of something else. If you can get a checking account where you are - w/ branches here or main office here - it will make things a lot more simple. That was a hassle - closing out accounts and moving money around.

Some of the banks we have here are Wachovia, Bank of America, BB&T, Fifth/Third . . . those are a few of them.
Ani being from the KC area previously, which bank would you recommend for me. Currently I am with Commerce Bank - checking and Community America - Savings. Just trying to plan ahead. I knew I would need to switch banks, but didn't think of switching before I move - well I was planning on opening an account about a month before I move.

I will be living in the Fort Mill area. I really like Community America which is a credit union - any recommendations.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,705,144 times
One thing we found out today (in talking with the other people at the settlement table): They said that to get an NC driver's license you don't just hand over your valid license from another state - you actually have to take the written driving test!

I think I may be in trouble with that one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte