Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 08:44 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times

Advertisements

Long time since I've visited here! Hello to the oldtimers and newbies.

We've been out in rural Monroe for almost 2 years. (Ask me anything about Monroe and I can probably tell you ... Love it.) My DH knows just a bit more than I do about Charlotte but that doesn't say much. I am vaguely familiar with the University, South Park and Uptown areas. But there goes that word, "vaguely". I've spent more time in either as opposed to anywhere else. I am eager to get out more and explore the area I'm in now that this is definitely home. Yeah!

DH's 40th BDay is September 25. Want to make it as special as possible! Big milestone for him individually and as a family man. He might actually be close to growing up in a year or two.

Encore in Blakeney
Global in Ballantyne
PF Chang's (Chinese) South Park

Frist two offer private dining. We will have 20-30 people. I'd like to bring in a cake although it's not mandatory.

Any suggestions? Which is your preference?

Personal opinions. Are well-behaved children appropriate at either (17, 15, 10)?

Or, do you have restaurant suggestions (in the $$ or $$$ range or lower) in Uptown? I want to try something new.

Wanted to possibly drink/dance Uptown. Any suggestions there? Any chance Wilkinson Blvd. is actually uptown? Anywhere near it? If the area is a bit on the "rough" side, not concered about that but thank you.

As always, love and blessings to all!

Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
wow talk about a blast from the past.
I cant really answer your thread but I just wanted to say WELCOME BACK!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Shout out to Sunny!

So far, leaning toward Encore becuase they've been the most responsive and polite. But remember, I have no personal familiarity with any of these places from the quality of food to ambience. And if there are others I should consider ....

As always love and blessings,

Sara

Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Checked my E-mail and so far, PF Chang's proposal appears more affordable than either option. DH lives for Chinese but .... don't know anything about this place either. And, no private room. Wouldn't kill the deal though.

As always, love and blessings,

Sara

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
I don't much about the first two, but I know the Changs. If you want it to be a bit more intimate, Changs is not the place. It is very loud and you are right now private area. I love the food and its ok for 2 or 4 people, but something that large, you won't be able to walk around and not hear two people away.

I like the uptown area and several places are good, depending on your price range. I would check out Blue and HOM (Feast) for private parties.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM

(Another oldtimer!)

Thanks for the insight on Changs, officially off the list. HOM too.

Blue was too expensive for me however, I will keep it mind for a private night for just us two. It looks lovely and the menu looks great!

I like uptown but restaurant suggestions don't necessarily have to be Uptown.

We've eaten at a number of places but what stands out in my mind right now is 131 Main, LaVecchia's and Capital Grille (this was by far my favorite).

As always, love and blessings,

Sara

Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Not for your big night, but since your DH likes Chinese food, PF CHang's is a good choice. It's a national chain and I have eaten in several of them in different cities. Very consistent and good food. Take him out on some other night, just the immediate family!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:05 AM

284 posts, read 606,229 times
I am very familiar with all three - Global is a more intimate, upscale setting, but my wife and I weren't too impressed with the food. We thought the place was mediocre at best and we haven't been back.

Encore is midscale-to-nice, similar to 131 Main - food is very good and service is good. Changs would probably be the best for a large group, but yes, it's loud - food is outstanding and service is great. For 20-30 people, I'm imagining you'd be pretty loud anyway so I would think the noise would be less of an issue, but you may feel differently.

Have you considered Villa Antonio in Ballantyne Village? That may be a great option for a group your size.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,953 times
First - I just re-read my post and man the spelling/grammer was horrible, forgive me.

Second.. I agree Changs has good good, again it's just atmosphere and depending on your goal.

If you think Blue is Expensive, which it is, Capital Grill is also up there.
131 is good as well.

Other places I like are Harry and Jeans (love the cauliflower soufle), Sonomas, but heck I might even choose Rockbottom, but not "special". Again is you are trying for uptown. I don't knwo the southside very well but I always like Firebirds and depending on which site they can handle decent sized parties.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM

327 posts, read 1,197,948 times
Have you considered the Melting Pot uptown? Fondue isn't for everyone, but we had a company Christmas party there several years ago and really enjoyed it. The set up of a fondue restaurant lends itself to groups quite nicely because 4 people or so share 1 fondue pot. They put us at a long table and everyone ate and mingled as we saw fit. Afterward, we all got rooms at the Holiday Inn and went out on the town, then back to the hotel without having to worry about driving. Just something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte