Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Charlotte is small peanuts next to NYC. Also, if the NYC banking industry thrives, wouldn't that filter down to us? The banking industry's success is not location specific. If one does well, they all tend to do well.

As far as jobs are concerned, he can't change the fact that per sq. mile, Charlotte is less expensive to conduct business in. No one in government has been able to keep jobs from going to India, why would you think they're going to suddenly harm poor little Charlotte?
Good point, MV. Bloomberg can't do as much damage as our own corporations have done to business (all over this country) by outsourcing jobs to India.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 11:42 AM

257 posts, read 669,694 times
Honesetly this is a good idea for NYC. IMO Bloomberg is a great mayor and I would like to see him run for President someday. He's smart and his ideas make sense to me. I was never a fan of Pat in Charlotte. I don't know if it will hurt/help Charlotte but I have a lot of admirmation for Bloomberg.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:55 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
This thread is probably about a few seconds away from being closed. The fact is, the Mayor of New York and the state of New York’s legislations has nothing to do with Charlotte. There are those who are going to view Citi’s purchase of Wachovia as some sort of one-upmanship of NY over Charlotte, but it’s really not that at all. NY and Charlotte are completely different animals.

And despite that what happened yesterday satisfies some disgruntled transplants looking to move back up North, trust that this is not the beginning of some great “re-migration”. The net loss of jobs in financial services in Charlotte is going to pale in comparison to NY, and folks will continue to run swiftly out of that region to other cities. Coupled with all the turmoil, and the average price per square foot of commercial real estate continuing to rise astronomically, you’re going to see more companies based there do exactly what companies like TIAA CREF have done, and what Citi is getting ready do, which is base a ton of their employees elsewhere.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
This thread is probably about a few seconds away from being closed. The fact is, the Mayor of New York and the state of New York’s legislations has nothing to do with Charlotte. There are those who are going to view Citi’s purchase of Wachovia as some sort of one-upmanship of NY over Charlotte, but it’s really not that at all. NY and Charlotte are completely different animals.

And despite that what happened yesterday satisfies some disgruntled transplants looking to move back up North, trust that this is not the beginning of some great “re-migration”. The net loss of jobs in financial services in Charlotte is going to pale in comparison to NY, and folks will continue to run swiftly out of that region to other cities. Coupled with all the turmoil, and the average price per square foot of commercial real estate continuing to rise astronomically, you’re going to see more companies based there do exactly what companies like TIAA CREF have done, and what Citi is getting ready do, which is base a ton of their employees elsewhere.
Your post makes a lot of sense to me, CBlue.

Let's face it . . . corporations make the decision to locate in a particular spot b/c basic criteria are met. Those criteria may differ from company to company, but usually, the cost of doing business is at least one of those factors. Proximity to vendors and/or clients can be another criteria . . . and I would think it will all come down to what the CEO and Board of Directors decide is "best for business."

Charlotte has been in a panic before . . . maybe no one remembers how crazy it was when BofA bought out NationsBank. Same rumors . . .

Old 09-30-2008, 12:30 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times
Quote:

I totally agree and see no correlation whatsoever between the mayor of NY and the future of CLT.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 PM

620 posts, read 2,119,278 times
Quote:
Coupled with all the turmoil, and the average price per square foot of commercial real estate continuing to rise astronomically, you’re going to see more companies based there do exactly what companies like TIAA CREF have done, and what Citi is getting ready do, which is base a ton of their employees elsewhere.
This is very true. I know that Citi is looking to cut costs and move some people out of NY and I wouldn't be surprised to see them move people down here and open up new positions here as well.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:

Perhaps you mis-understood my OP. My references earliar today were in reference to which mayor (NY or CLT) will reach out with incentive to hold or draw people, business, tax revenuesbetter. Never implied "one upmanship" . Furtherst thing from my mind. What is more important is, for me at least, what direction can the 2 city governments take to become stronger. The problem for me ia acute since I am a property owner in both states and I would like to be a little ahead of the curve in my thinking.

I certaintly hope that this thread is not "seconds away from being closed" as I see the subject matter pertainent to the city of Charlotte and I would welcome the opinions of others.

Old 09-30-2008, 01:41 PM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,842 times
Well the problem is that good Ol' Pat is looking to be Governor and move on while Bloomberg is happy where he is. So I am sure thoughts are elsewhere!

Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Perhaps you mis-understood my OP. My references earliar today were in reference to which mayor (NY or CLT) will reach out with incentive to hold or draw people, business, tax revenuesbetter. Never implied "one upmanship" . Furtherst thing from my mind. What is more important is, for me at least, what direction can the 2 city governments take to become stronger. The problem for me ia acute since I am a property owner in both states and I would like to be a little ahead of the curve in my thinking.

I certaintly hope that this thread is not "seconds away from being closed" as I see the subject matter pertainent to the city of Charlotte and I would welcome the opinions of others.
Your original points were all taken. My point is that rather this legislation passes in New York, and rather Bloomberg continues on as mayor of New York, has absolutely nothing to do with Charlotte.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:33 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Your original points were all taken. My point is that rather this legislation passes in New York, and rather Bloomberg continues on as mayor of New York, has absolutely nothing to do with Charlotte.
OK. Sorry I posted something that I thought would have an effect of CLT's future. Will try harder to stay very local in the my postings
je
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte