Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times

Advertisements

John, I realize what you are saying about incentives . . . but any mayor would do that . . . Bloomberg or anyone else. I understand that you feel he is especially savvy . . . and I would suspect he already moves in circles w/ the CEOs of all these financial institutions.

But I suspect the decision to move business here, keep business here or move business from here to NYC (or some other city, for that matter) will all come down to 2 things: cost of doing business and personal preference of the CEO and Board.

Some guys (and their spouses) would never be able to imagine giving up their Greenwich home or their Manhattan apartment to move South . . .and some may have families who would love to move here. Heck they all have second and third homes elsewhere, anyway, LOL.

The very wealthy will have a wonderful lifestyle wherever they live. A nice estate here and another in Charleston (or the Caribbean) and another in Manhattan . . . Who knows what CITI will decide to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 02:45 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
John, I realize what you are saying about incentives . . . but any mayor would do that . . . Bloomberg or anyone else.
Exactly ani. Put another way…suppose I go over the New York forum and start the following thread…

“Pat McCrory becoming governor of North Carolina can hurt the New York banking sector.”

I suspose I'd have to put that thread in every state's forum, since every city competes for jobs.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:07 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,337,266 times
The solution to this problem is obvious. Let's elect Michael Bloomberg mayor of Charlotte!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:11 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,983,609 times
Weren't they going to change the term limits for Gulianni too? Long time ago, but I seem to remember talk of that as he was in the thick of handeling the fallout from 9/11.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Exactly ani. Put another way…suppose I go over the New York forum and start the following thread…

“Pat McCrory becoming governor of North Carolina can hurt the New York banking sector.”

I suspose I'd have to put that thread in every state's forum, since every city competes for jobs.
Good point . . .

John, I know you are wondering about longterm stability of housing and jobs here . . . I guess everyone is!

But seems to me, everything is on the table at this point. No one can guess what CITI will do . . . even tho I am going to remain optimistic about the situation.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
I understand and accept your thinking, logic and position of how you feel the deals will be negotiated.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
I understand and accept your thinking, logic and position of how you feel the deals will be negotiated.
Well . . . actually . .. I think a lot of these deals are made over cocktails or on the golf course.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:46 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Weren't they going to change the term limits for Gulianni too? Long time ago, but I seem to remember talk of that as he was in the thick of handeling the fallout from 9/11.
Correct. It was suggested he stay on a short period of time (I think 3 months) to insure some stability in the government of NYC post 9/11.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:57 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Carolina Blue all points excellent and very true.. the Cost of business in NY is extremely high, and the salaries would have to reflect somewhat decent pay for people to live there...Charlotte is less expensive to operate than a major city like NY, so hopefully I agree with Ani and try to remain optomistic that maybe like Mike said there will be jobs here as they decide to keep things running here in Charlotte...no one knows though...

Old 10-01-2008, 07:20 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,059,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Yes, there's always been talk about it. But lots in NYC hated Gulianni after 9/11. Not sure if that was the reason why the whole thing got dropped though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte