Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 AM

16 posts, read 29,632 times

Advertisements

Hello there!!!

We(me and my wife) are a moving to Charlotte from Seattle in 1st week of Jul.
My work place would be in Mooresville and her office would be in Ballantyne. I know... exactly opposite directions right

Now I need suggestions for good area to live such that we share the travel time..I am thinking to stay as close to I77 as possible since it looks like that is how we need to travel

Now.. suggestions please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 08:00 AM

50 posts, read 93,547 times
I would suggest Mooresville, we have the lake, restaurants, shops etc and right off of 77. Good luck

Old 07-03-2012, 09:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiias View Post
Hello there!!!

We(me and my wife) are a moving to Charlotte from Seattle in 1st week of Jul.
My work place would be in Mooresville and her office would be in Ballantyne. I know... exactly opposite directions right

Now I need suggestions for good area to live such that we share the travel time..I am thinking to stay as close to I77 as possible since it looks like that is how we need to travel

Now.. suggestions please...
This IS the first week of July - you are moving within a day or two?

Before anyone can make any intelligent suggestions, we need to know your budget and if you are looking for a house or an apt.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM

186 posts, read 436,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillann View Post
I would suggest Mooresville, we have the lake, restaurants, shops etc and right off of 77. Good luck
A commute from Mooresville to Ballantyne would be almost the worst traffic scenario imaginable unless you're working some sort of swing shift or night shift, at least one hour on a good day. It takes me almost an hour to get from Uptown to Huntersville during rush hour, I cannot imagine how much longer it would take staring in Ballantyne and navigating all the way to Mooresville, but I'm guessing it would add at least 30 minutes if not more. Outside of Loves wanting to know apt or house, one area that would split the difference would be Mt. Island Lake or Mt. Holly, you could go opposite directions on 485, do a primarily reverse commute and it wouldnt be too bad. This area has the basics - Wal Mart, Chick Fil A, Harris teeter, but isnt all that well developed right now. Still, there are some peaceful neighborhoods on Mt Island Lake that are potentials.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,250 times
kby1108 beat me to it. That's about the worst commute possible. Whichever one of you has the best shot at negotiating flex-hours, or Saturday hours, or work-from-home should offer to live farthest "away" from the worksite.

Traffic along south 485 is especially bad near Ballantyne. It's only 2 lanes (most of 485 is 3 lanes) and there will be construction in a few years as it is widened. If I worked in that area, I'd definately want to be able to take city streets and avoid 485 entirely.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 07-03-2012 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This IS the first week of July - you are moving within a day or two?

Before anyone can make any intelligent suggestions, we need to know your budget and if you are looking for a house or an apt.
Did I say 1st week of July.
Sorry I meant 1st week of August.

I am looking at around a maximum of $1250 for a 2bedroom house.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
A commute from Mooresville to Ballantyne would be almost the worst traffic scenario imaginable unless you're working some sort of swing shift or night shift, at least one hour on a good day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Outside of Loves wanting to know apt or house, one area that would split the difference would be Mt. Island Lake or Mt. Holly, you could go opposite directions on 485, do a primarily reverse commute and it wouldnt be too bad. This area has the basics - Wal Mart, Chick Fil A, Harris teeter, but isnt all that well developed right now. Still, there are some peaceful neighborhoods on Mt Island Lake that are potentials.
Thank you. I will check this out.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
kby1108 beat me to it. That's about the worst commute possible. Whichever one of you has the best shot at negotiating flex-hours, or Saturday hours, or work-from-home should offer to live farthest "away" from the worksite.

Traffic along south 485 is especially bad near Ballantyne. It's only 2 lanes (most of 485 is 3 lanes) and there will be construction in a few years as it is widened. If I worked in that area, I'd definately want to be able to take city streets and avoid 485 entirely.
How about staying in Uptown? Will the commute from uptown to Ballantyne be easier? I am ready to travel from uptown to Mooresville.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillann View Post
Thanks Jillann. I already visited Mooresville and liked it. But I dont think thats an option for me as wifey is not ready to drive for 80 miles daily

Old 07-04-2012, 05:28 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiias View Post

I am looking at around a maximum of $1250 for a 2bedroom house.
Given your requirements, I recommend Huntersville around Gilead Rd. (exit 23)

It's close enough to the highway system in CLT where you can get to Ballentyne by avoiding the worse of the I77 traffic up north, and is a reverse commute to Mooresville where the difficulties of the same commute are minimized. Going to Ballentyne you can either take I-77 to I-485 to avoid most of CLT and if I-77 to CLT is clogged up, you can take another local Rd directly to I-485. My estimate is the commute to Ballentyne would be ~40 minutes and the one to Mooresville ~20-30 min.

There are numerous lovely homes in this area in your price range and it's low in crime, plenty of shopping, and lots of professional people. It's also very close to all the activities on the Lake and close to enjoy the amenities in Charlotte,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte