Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Northern towns: innocent look, vintage house dresses, bar culture, bike riding, sunlight, wood floors

Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 12,501 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently living in Brooklyn, NY, and I have wanted to move Southward for quite some time. I was originally enchanted by and visited Savannah (twice), but the crime factor is worrying me. Charleston, kind of the same deal. A big part of me moving down is the weather and wanting to be outdoors (nighttime included), but I don't know how great of an idea that is in a place as dangerous as I've heard Savannah/Charleston can be. Let me reiterate: I grew up 2 mins outside of Manhattan and now live in Crown Heights, Brooklyn- I am no stranger to diversity, and probably a lot of people would assume my neighborhood is a bad one. I think I'm smart enough to avoid obviously sketchy situations, and to keep to myself and stay out of other people's business, but I can't move somewhere thinking I'm going to get robbed at gunpoint in a crowded park at noon! Here is a link to some Northern towns whose look I love:

dream town haaay - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27274058@N07/sets/72157610383657667/ - broken link)

Is there anything similar down south that is as lovely and innocent as those places look? Here's some other stuff about me: I'm 21, I'm tattooed with big funny glasses and I'd prefer to wear vintage housedresses all year-round if possible (and I'm not saying that junk for cool points- I'm just sure some towns wouldn't take to that, really, and if you're someone with similar interests, maybe you know), I'm not terribly interested in bar culture so that's not a must, though art and music spaces are both great; I love animals and bike riding, bodies of water are cool (or not), I'd love to live in an historic house with lots of sunlight and wood floors and probably a porch of some sort, I work in visual display/merchandising and sell crafts, antiques and flea markets and farmers markets and bookstores and libraries are super, aaaaand if my cost of living could be proportionate/low in comparison to the kind of living I'm making, that'd be sweet. And I'm not religious, but just hanging out with family/friends/community ranks higher on my lists than drunken hijinks most nights. Most nights.

Because not everybody is looking for that completely impossible criteria, I'm sure.

Look, I'm just trying to get the German Shepherd of the South: not necessarily the best of anything, but that is pretty good in several of the categories I mentioned. Aside from Savannah and Charleston, I've considered Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville and Lexington (a little cooler weather-wise, but I could probably deal as long as it's not NYC).

Let me know! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:01 PM

236 posts, read 695,434 times
Go to Asheville, Athens, or Atlanta.

I would avoid Raleigh. You'd hate it, but you could survive in Charlotte, but probably be a little bored.

Charleston and Savannah are not dangerous if you avoid the bad areas (like any other city)

Old 11-29-2008, 08:31 PM

Actually Atlanta's not too innocent. Perhaps Chapel Hill would be good fit for you. Maybe in Greenville, SC...There's a little funk to that town and what a great main street...but probably pretty boring at the end of the day.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:13 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,862 times
I also would suggest a visit to Asheville and see how you like it. But it's not Brooklyn!

Old 12-01-2008, 01:18 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalehwsn View Post
Hello!

I am currently living in Brooklyn, NY, and I have wanted to move Southward for quite some time. I was originally enchanted by and visited Savannah (twice), but the crime factor is worrying me. Charleston, kind of the same deal. A big part of me moving down is the weather and wanting to be outdoors (nighttime included), but I don't know how great of an idea that is in a place as dangerous as I've heard Savannah/Charleston can be. Let me reiterate: I grew up 2 mins outside of Manhattan and now live in Crown Heights, Brooklyn- I am no stranger to diversity, and probably a lot of people would assume my neighborhood is a bad one. I think I'm smart enough to avoid obviously sketchy situations, and to keep to myself and stay out of other people's business, but I can't move somewhere thinking I'm going to get robbed at gunpoint in a crowded park at noon! Here is a link to some Northern towns whose look I love:

dream town haaay - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27274058@N07/sets/72157610383657667/ - broken link)

Is there anything similar down south that is as lovely and innocent as those places look? Here's some other stuff about me: I'm 21, I'm tattooed with big funny glasses and I'd prefer to wear vintage housedresses all year-round if possible (and I'm not saying that junk for cool points- I'm just sure some towns wouldn't take to that, really, and if you're someone with similar interests, maybe you know), I'm not terribly interested in bar culture so that's not a must, though art and music spaces are both great; I love animals and bike riding, bodies of water are cool (or not), I'd love to live in an historic house with lots of sunlight and wood floors and probably a porch of some sort, I work in visual display/merchandising and sell crafts, antiques and flea markets and farmers markets and bookstores and libraries are super, aaaaand if my cost of living could be proportionate/low in comparison to the kind of living I'm making, that'd be sweet. And I'm not religious, but just hanging out with family/friends/community ranks higher on my lists than drunken hijinks most nights. Most nights.

Because not everybody is looking for that completely impossible criteria, I'm sure.

Look, I'm just trying to get the German Shepherd of the South: not necessarily the best of anything, but that is pretty good in several of the categories I mentioned. Aside from Savannah and Charleston, I've considered Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, Charlotte, Nashville, Louisville and Lexington (a little cooler weather-wise, but I could probably deal as long as it's not NYC).

Let me know! Thanks!
Charlotte is not as quaint as Savannah or Charleston. To be honest, being from NYC, you wouldn't find anything unique in Charlotte. Not that it isn't a great place, but you probably want a place more interesting. Asheville, N.C. is a very interesting city with people from all walks of life (many Bohemian types) in a city of only around 100K. I have heard it refered to as "San Francisco East". It reminds me more of Berkley, Ca. It is a pretty safe city and in the mountains. You are not too far from the beach either. You would be wise to check it out.

PS. I really wouldn't waste my time with Atlanta. It is a sprawled out nightmare, dangerous, absolutely horrible traffic, and extremely suburban. It is definately not walkable like other major cities.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:25 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Glad you explained all that, Bandi, as honestly, I have looked at this thread four times and thought - okay, how should I put it?

I think that in most areas of CLT, walking around in vintage house dresses, w/ tats and 30 year old eyeglasses, will probably get a call to 911 and a trip to a local Magistrate to secure a mental health evaluation.

Just saying . . .

Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 PM

bandi..

your ATL opinion is highly subjective and biased.

There are parts of Atlanta that are quite nice, walkable, urban, and safe...In fact if you get to work in Midtown, Buckhead, or Downtown and live nearby the traffic really isnt that bad..

That being said for what she is looking for it probably wouldnt work which is why I retracted it.

I really think should would dig Greenville, SC..but then again, I'm going off an internet post so who really knows what the hell she would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte