Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Location: Atlanta, Moving to Charlotte, Fort Mill area early August 07
23 posts, read 92,851 times

Advertisements

Hi I've been in Charlotte now since August and have been diligently searching for a job. I'm a stock plan administrator currently and would either like to jump into something like that at a different company here in charlotte or for a brokerage firm. I've applied for positions at LPL, bank of america and wachovia and not receiving any phone calls, not sure why. We're from Atlanta and I've never had this much trouble. I have my series 7 and 63 and have been in the financial field for 7-8 years and would love to do something a little different at firm; in communications, compliance, marketing, not looking to be a finanical advisor or sales assistant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Desperate:-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 02:34 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini21 View Post
........ I've applied for positions at LPL, bank of america and wachovia and not receiving any phone calls, not sure why. ....
Because these firms are laying people off and downsizing It's been widely reported.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:45 PM

yeah I know.. but when I search for jobs, they're posting new opportunities everyday...Im frustrated.. this royally sucks.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM

870 posts, read 3,528,417 times
the fields you are coming out of are being downsized and the fields you are looking to get into are very general with hundreds of people looking at each job opening. tough time to be in finance or mortgage.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Because those are the companies EVERYBODY applies at.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:48 PM

49 posts, read 118,527 times
Have you looked into "Duke Energy"?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Here is a tip have your resume ready and a list of companies you are interested in and go door to door and apply in person.

If they say no then ask who they would recommend or suggest to go apply at.

People who use career builder and other similar sites to look for a job are looking to late.
A good employer should not have to look for it staff.
The worst again is all they can say is no at least you will have a concrete answer if they need you and you can move on to the next company.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,406,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini21 View Post
Hi I've been in Charlotte now since August and have been diligently searching for a job. I'm a stock plan administrator currently and would either like to jump into something like that at a different company here in charlotte or for a brokerage firm. I've applied for positions at LPL, bank of america and wachovia and not receiving any phone calls, not sure why. We're from Atlanta and I've never had this much trouble. I have my series 7 and 63 and have been in the financial field for 7-8 years and would love to do something a little different at firm; in communications, compliance, marketing, not looking to be a finanical advisor or sales assistant. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Desperate:-(
You've not only picked companies that are in the middle of downsizing and outsourcing, you've also run smack dab into the time of year where said companies tend to put a freeze on hiring until the budgets reset around January.

Keep in mind something I found out: Just because you see a position to apply for that it doesn't necessarily mean that job's available. I found that out a few times. I would fill out the application for any given requisition number. Through a little help I would get the number of the hiring manager for that department. Imagine my shock when I would hear that they did in fact get my resume, however they weren't sure if they were really intending on filling those positions. So essentially they're like phantom jobs. They're there but they're not really there.

Trust me...a ton of us know the nightmare it is finding work in this area. It's a tough struggle.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

I certainly agree with all your comments. I haven't looked at Duke energy recently. I'm fully aware that its the wrong time.. but that's all the experience I have. Yeah i actually applied for a couple jobs and they were filled .. and they were posted in those past couple days. :-( good luck to anyone else looking. and thanks for the replies.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 AM

54 posts, read 156,735 times
Question The future of jobs and Charlotte

After the builders finish building and the mass exodus from NY/NJ/CT ends, what is the prospects for employment in this area? Do any of you think the job markets will dry up and there area will stabilize itself with people who like their new home and community? Also, what happens if all the banks pick up and leave? Just curious...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte