Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 AM

280 posts, read 949,404 times

Advertisements

I know this is very specific, but I am researching the areas around Charlotte looking for a plantation style home on a good bit of land on one of the rivers. I was thinking somewhere around Belmont, NC or Lake Wylie, SC may be the best place to find such a thing. Anybody out there have any ideas or know of anywhere I should start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 05:50 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,604,434 times
Okay. If you are talking about a James River type actual 18th C property as what still exists in Virginia . . . it ain't here. It never WAS here. My family owned the largest plantation in Western NC and the homeplace was a farm house. So that is the first thing we need to define.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,330,040 times
You'd have to build it I'm afraid.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 AM

I didn't expect there to be any authentic homes like this around, I was planning on probably having to build. What about the land? Is there any open flat land that you all are aware of on the river? I know there's definitely land, I'm just not sure how to find it.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,604,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTechKA View Post
I didn't expect there to be any authentic homes like this around, I was planning on probably having to build. What about the land? Is there any open flat land that you all are aware of on the river? I know there's definitely land, I'm just not sure how to find it.
Well, the good news is there is a lot of riverfront footage in the state. Between the Yadkin and the Catawba, there may be acreage w/ river access but finding it . . . unless someone has it listed w/ a realtor . . . it would take a lot of driving around, looking at plats, checking out tax records with county Register of Deeds - and asking questions.

Maybe someone will know of such a property . . .

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,462,945 times
I don't know how much land is available but I suggest looking in south Belmont at or near the state. Off Hwy. 279 (S. New Hope Rd) and Hwy. 273 there is Lake Wylie, South Fork Catawba River and Catawba Creek. However as you may or may not know that the state plans to build a Garden Pakrway in that area.

Future Garden Parkway connecting I-485 to U.S. 321 south of Gastonia.

ETA: ssd3 - I've heard radio commercials about that too! I forgot about that. IIRC it's called Catawba Shores and is close to Rock Hill, SC

Last edited by NCgirl; 03-04-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 03-04-2009, 07:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,788,808 times
There was an ad in this past Sundays Charlotte Observer that caught my eye for riverfront and river view lots from 39k to 69k. Looked like it was going to have some amenities and a pool. I did not notice the lot sizes and unfortunately I threw the paper away. I have seen it before so I am sure it will be in again. I wish I had seen it before we built our house, it looks very nice. Good luck,

Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,330,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
There was an ad in this past Sundays Charlotte Observer that caught my eye for riverfront and river view lots from 39k to 69k. Looked like it was going to have some amenities and a pool. I did not notice the lot sizes and unfortunately I threw the paper away. I have seen it before so I am sure it will be in again. I wish I had seen it before we built our house, it looks very nice. Good luck,
I think the OP is looking for more land and not to be part of a planned community.

But I know of what you speak SC Riverland.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,788,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I think the OP is looking for more land and not to be part of a planned community.

But I know of what you speak SC Riverland.
Thanks Mullman, I thought someone on here would know what I was talking about. I agree I think the OP is looking for more land but I figured there is not a whole lot out there and this could be a nice substitute.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:29 AM

Definitely looking for land that is not in a subdivision. Thanks so much for the advice everyone. If you hear of anything specific, definitely keep me in mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte