Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM

13 posts, read 29,984 times

Advertisements

I'm currently living around the Steelecroft Area (close to the Rivergate shopping center) and am thinking of moving out somewhere else because over the past few weeks, I've heard/seen on the news, crime has really picked up as of late. --We've had 2 or 3 robberies in the past 2 months, and I'm sure others have gone unreported to the tennants

How safe of a place is that overall from ppl here? And, are there any other "safer" places I should check out? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 11:59 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob View Post
I'm currently living around the Steelecroft Area (close to the Rivergate shopping center) and am thinking of moving out somewhere else because over the past few weeks, I've heard/seen on the news, crime has really picked up as of late. --We've had 2 or 3 robberies in the past 2 months, and I'm sure others have gone unreported to the tennants

How safe of a place is that overall from ppl here? And, are there any other "safer" places I should check out? Suggestions?
Crime can and does happen just about anywhere - there are no places completely immune in the city limits I'm afraid. Sometimes the nicer the place the better the odds are of robberies or thefs BECAUSE the area is so nice - if you were a criminal wouldn't you go where the good stuff is?

Take all the precautions you can not to become a victim, don't be afraid to call 911 if you ever see anything suspicious and get to know your neighbors - this will all go a long way to keeping you safe without having to go to the trouble of moving

Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 PM

^yeah, being aware of things has always been one of my "things" -- im from So Florida, and while crime is bad there, it doesn't seem as bad as it has been here or so as much as i've heard.

the other day i was at the barbershop and my barber was joking that whomever lives in that area (Steelecroft) better keep a dog AND a gun. lol

Last edited by noob; 02-17-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-17-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
^yeah, being aware of things has always been one of my "things" -- im from So Florida, and while crime is bad there, it doesn't seem as bad as it has been here or so as much as i've heard.

the other day i was at the barbershop and my barber was joking that whomever lives in that area (Steelecroft) better keep a dog AND a gun. lol
Having a dog IS the number 1 deterent I believe to being broken in to, though of course that shouldn't be the ONLY reason you get a dog

You are not in a bad area, but like any place in Charlotte, crime can happen.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:35 PM

yeah, I wish we could get a dog.... are there any places around town (sports authority/dicks sporting goods) that sell hand guns for protection and show you how to operate them?

what about purchasing a stun gun?

Old 02-17-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
yeah, I wish we could get a dog.... are there any places around town (sports authority/dicks sporting goods) that sell hand guns for protection and show you how to operate them?

what about purchasing a stun gun?
You can purchase stun guns online. There are several places around town to buy handguns and to take the safety classes like Shooters Express in Belmont or Hyatt's on Wilkinson Blvd.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:21 PM

anything notable around the Bellantyne/South Park/South Blvd area?

Can I not purchase one at Dick's or Sports Authority?

Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
No, I don't believe you can buy handguns at either of those places. Wilkinson Blvd isn't far away. Neither is Belmont for that matter...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:18 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,266,014 times
CMPD Chief Monroe will be speaking in Steele Creek Thursday night at Southwest Middle School, which is very near Steelecroft. This will be a good opportunity to find out about crime in Steele Creek. Steele Creek Division of CMPD should be well represented.

Steele Creek Residents Association

Old 02-21-2009, 08:51 PM

Can I legally carry a stun gun around the city?

Also, where can I purchase one again? Something small/compact?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte