Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:43 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

http://www.inspect-ny.com/plumbing/1568s.jpg

Mods: I hope I can post that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
The diagram really helps to make sense of my earlier post, Jon. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

No prob.

Usually when the lower element is bad you run out of hot water pretty quick. Then it might feel luke warm for a bit. I do understand what you meant by the short to ground. The same thing can happen with just about anything electrical. You can even have the heat strips in your backup heat do the same thing and be on constantly. You would never know because it will heat up until a certain temp where then the limit switch will open cutting it off. As it cools and closes the limit switch it will come back on and so on....

In a very very rare case you could even walk up to the outside A/C unit that is running and it have a short to ground and shock you with 240 volts. Most shorts to ground trip the breaker. Inside water heaters though the elements become very rusty so even a short to ground might not trip the breaker because of a poor connection. I've found water heater elements that I literally had to bend to get out. It just blew in the tank with water and all in it.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Oh my goodness, Hoagie. This is really wild. I don't know what the heck to do now. Do I call a plumber or an electrician and have them check the water heater????

Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM

Does your hubby have a multi-meter or ohm meter? You just need to cut the water heater off take the panels (like in the picture off) and remove one wire from each thermostat. Then on the ohm setting you would put one lead on the screw where you took the wire off and the other lead on the green screw which is the ground. If your meter beeps constantly or shows you have some Resistance then it's shorted to ground. You don't have to touch the green screw any part of the body will also work but you want to find a bare metal spot.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Does your hubby have a multi-meter or ohm meter? You just need to cut the water heater off take the panels (like in the picture off) and remove one wire from each thermostat. Then on the ohm setting you would put one lead on the screw where you took the wire off and the other lead on the green screw which is the ground. If your meter beeps constantly or shows you have some Resistance then it's shorted to ground. You don't have to touch the green screw any part of the body will also work but you want to find a bare metal spot.
Oh, Lord, I can tell you - I could have gotten DH to do that 20 years ago but he isn't gonna do it now. So should I get an electrician or a plumber in to check this? I have an outlet I need installed and some under counter lights, so I could call someone and just make it a total deal - do all that stuff - when they come (if I need an electrician).

Old 02-25-2009, 05:11 PM

I don't want you to spend money that you wouldn't have otherwise. However with bills like that you may just save money by just going ahead and getting an electrician.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I don't want you to spend money that you wouldn't have otherwise. However with bills like that you may just save money by just going ahead and getting an electrician.
Jon, I so appreciate your being cautious. I have been meaning to get someone to put in some undercounter lights. DH did one side of the room, and that was four years ago. The other lights have been sitting here four years! He keeps saying he will do it, but w/ his work schedule - Nope. It isn't gonna happen. So I need to get someone in to install those lights and while I am at it - I want another outlet put on the other side of a wall. So I am thinking - why not get someone in and have them take care of it all. I will just call around, see who can do the check on the water heater and do the lights and outlet.

I may get the heat pump serviced FIRST - and ask them all the questions we have talked about to rule out the heat pump as the problem. It is gonna be Spring - might as well have the heat pump serviced.

There was a thread a while back w/ recommendations for heat pump techs on it, unless you all have a company you trust and will recommend. Feel free to DM me.

It is really evident that something is wrong here. Might as well get someone in to fix that microwave or get a new one, too. I have probably incurred brain damage b/c of all the microwaves, Hee Hee.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:05 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Jon, I so appreciate your being cautious. I have been meaning to get someone to put in some undercounter lights. DH did one side of the room, and that was four years ago. The other lights have been sitting here four years! He keeps saying he will do it, but w/ his work schedule - Nope. It isn't gonna happen. So I need to get someone in to install those lights and while I am at it - I want another outlet put on the other side of a wall. So I am thinking - why not get someone in and have them take care of it all. I will just call around, see who can do the check on the water heater and do the lights and outlet.

I may get the heat pump serviced FIRST - and ask them all the questions we have talked about to rule out the heat pump as the problem. It is gonna be Spring - might as well have the heat pump serviced.

There was a thread a while back w/ recommendations for heat pump techs on it, unless you all have a company you trust and will recommend. Feel free to DM me.

It is really evident that something is wrong here. Might as well get someone in to fix that microwave or get a new one, too. I have probably incurred brain damage b/c of all the microwaves, Hee Hee.
ani - You have "enuff smarts" that even if that decreased by 10%, you'd still have more than 999,999 out of a million people!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 PM

I do have a good electrician. I'll get the number and DM it to you. I'll work on an HVAC contractor. I think we talked about this before but make sure you get an exact list of items they will check on a preventive maintenance schedule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte