Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:54 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Move next door to me

Dude, she's looking for good advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:02 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Well, Barkley, et al, have all had good things to say, it would depend on what type of lifestyle you are interested in. Yes, Charlotte is the largest city in the state, more people, more things to do, but... it is also commute-able from most of the state, in that you can go there for events, then go back home afterwards. Greensboro, is also nice, friendly (was founded by Quakers many moons ago, still has that influence, "Friendly Avenue" , Guilford College.) Winston-Salem and Greensboro are on the outskirts of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area but are still included in the intellectual life of N.C. There are quite a few nationally ranked Universities in this area, as well as the Mecca for Basketball, in a state wherein, it is almost considered the state sanctioned religion. There is also the Coast, some of the finest salt-water fishing anywhere is found off of the N.C. coast. And, my personal favorite would be the Mebane area, small town, quiet, and close enough to almost anything in the state as a day trip. It's all dependant upon priorities. If bright lights, flash and glitter are sufficient, then by all means, go to Charlotte. It does indeed have it's good points. So does Asheville, the mountains are scenic year-round.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:10 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Dude, she's looking for good advice.
You two have offered a laugh among the stress... thanks.

Dusty -- thanks for the round up. I should have mentioned, though, that I'm an NC native. Born/raised and every single ancestor from the mountains since people were in the mountains. Also, I've lived on the coast for 5 years and upstate SC (sort of near Charlotte) for 5 years. Hickory for fresh year before I transferred and dated a guy who lived in Greensboro. So, I really feel pretty familiar with most places in the state.

It's definitely not the bright lights that has me drawn to Charlotte... in fact, I don't even remember it glimmering. Ha. To me, Charlotte always felt accessible. I don't have day to day experience so maybe it's different than I'm imagining... but I just feel like it's a good place for me to be for the next few years. It's a great market to start my business... lots of new people to meet at a time in my life where I love meeting new people... and close enough to old friends and family to feel warm and surrounded even if I end up alone for a bit in this new place.

I don't know much about Mebane... might have to look into it. I definitely feel like a tourist here sometimes... but I couldn't imagine anywhere else I'd rather live. I've sent resumes to Atlanta, DC, Savannah, Vermont, and Chicago... but always chicken out. NC is my home and I think different parts of it have suited me perfectly at different points in my life... and I trust that it can continue to do so until I leave this earth.

Thanks for sharing though... new information is always appreciated.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:38 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,381 times
Good luck and feel free to ask us any specific questions.. we help where we can.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 AM

109 posts, read 229,760 times
I had to laugh at the title of this thread because that's how I feel too! I just posted a new thread about our possible move to the Charlotte area, pending a job offer for my husband. We're from New England and we just flew down for a few days to get to know the area (neither my husband nor I had been to NC before). We LOVED it and we're hoping to move this summer.

While I can't really give you advice, I wanted to say good luck and best wishes!

Old 05-10-2009, 06:41 PM

332 posts, read 1,431,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBartlett View Post
I had to laugh at the title of this thread because that's how I feel too! I just posted a new thread about our possible move to the Charlotte area, pending a job offer for my husband. We're from New England and we just flew down for a few days to get to know the area (neither my husband nor I had been to NC before). We LOVED it and we're hoping to move this summer.

While I can't really give you advice, I wanted to say good luck and best wishes!

Thanks and same to you!

WW, thanks to you too, as for the specifics... I think those will come after my visit in a few weeks. I suppose one good first question... hotels.

I want something affordable (< $85/night, safe, and comfortable in an easy to maneuver area of town. Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,135 times
Just read your post. Not sure if you have actually moved yet or not. If not, have you considered Wilmington? I just spent a week there on business and it is BEAUTIFUL. Right on the ocean with LOTS of rental opportunities in all price ranges. Want to live on the beach? You can do that. Want to live in the hustle/bustle of town? You can do that too...

And as far as getting lost, pick up a GPS. Prices have come way down. You don't need a $700 unit. You can probably pick one up for less than $200. You'll never get lost again.

I know it's overwhelming. My family will be relocating to the Hickory area in 3 weeks!

Hang in there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte