Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times

Advertisements

Raise your hand if you are glad to be almost done with EOG's!!

Our middle schooler has been 'prepping' for weeks now, lots of extra work, lots of review and unfortunately her one teachers is so far behind the curriculum his students are pretty much on their own for learning 4-5 chapters of science!! It makes for a long few weeks for students. Some teachers are still giving home work this week when they really need to back off and let the kids just get through the testing (although I know they are still trying to get them ready for EOC's next week, for kids taking high school courses in middle school).

*Raising hand* I'll be glad when the testing is done!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM

149 posts, read 536,079 times
We finished Math and Reading, but they are sneaking in a Science EOG next week (new to me!). The kids are watching a movie and having ice cream tomorrow. My fifth grader thinks he's done for the year now. I had to break it to the little guy that school still has more to offer before he can relax for the summer!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:12 PM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
my son said last night during American Idol, and Rod Stewart

"enough already, don't the old timers know I have an EOG tomorrow morning" regarding the final outcome

Old 05-21-2009, 05:03 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
We had Reading Tuesday, Math yesterday and Science today. I am "reviewing" tomorrow, then back to the grindstone next week with probability.

I am so tired of walking around the classroom, knowing there are hours of testing to go. At least the kids can sit and sleep. Or draw, that is about it.

We stress tests all year, and then after they are done, we say, oh, we have two and 1/2 more weeks...Now this too is important. Kids ain't that dumb!

lln

Old 05-21-2009, 05:33 PM

364 posts, read 1,168,069 times
The kids are handling it very well. Last year we had 1/2 days- not this year. We planned some fun activities to do in the afternoons, and I do have some items I want to cover to prep them for next year that will fill in for the rest of the year (as well as some fun things we didn't get time to do)!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:13 PM

852 posts, read 2,468,311 times
We have soccer tryouts to take minds off pointless testing. Sorry that's how I feel about the tests. The teachers worry the kids to death about doing the EOG's and then they spend the rest of the year watching movies.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 PM

277 posts, read 661,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
We have soccer tryouts to take minds off pointless testing. Sorry that's how I feel about the tests. The teachers worry the kids to death about doing the EOG's and then they spend the rest of the year watching movies.
I don't have an issue with the testing, but I do have a problem with the associated hype and rhetoric attached to them.

If the curriculum correctly addresses the learning requirements, and the educators follow the curriculum over the course of the school year, then test the students and move on...no need to make such a big deal about it.

Example of another time waster...last weeks "stress relief" event at WMS. Put all the students in the auditorium to watch selected student participate in some "fun events". My son told me most of the watchers were bored stiff.

Stop wasting valuable time, and give them more math and science. I'm sure my sons math teacher (poster in this thread ?, I saw a screen name that looks familiar ) might agree.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Exactly why my kids will never go to the publik skools....
I'll work 7 days and 4 jobs if need-be.

It all boils down to the EOGs and teacher and school 'performance'.
A friend told me that they actually sent home the real EOG test for parents and students to work on.
How could you not possibly get 100%?!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:20 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
A friend told me that they actually sent home the real EOG test for parents and students to work on.
How could you not possibly get 100%?!
You are kidding me aren't you?

Old 05-22-2009, 07:21 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,316,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
You are kidding me aren't you?
No, unless you guys have different information.
It's like having the 2010 sports pages in Vegas today, you can't lose.

If I had the actual test my child was going to take we would sit down and and fully understand each question and why the answer is correct.
That's why we're parents.

Last edited by mullman; 05-22-2009 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: