Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from New York to North Carolina, need advice on Union County school districts and schools, elementary schools and middle schools, portables, overcrowding, learning cottages, Weddington, Marvin schools

Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 AM

14 posts, read 31,843 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We will be moving from NY to NC and are looking in the Union County area. Can anyone tell me about the different school there...I have looked at all the test scores so I am not looking for data but instead your own experiences with the schools. Any recommendations, advice, positives, negatives??? Sometimes test scores can tell you one story and then when you talk to parents who are in the schools, they can give you a whole other version.

I will have two children in the elementary school and one in middle school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sandy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 05:53 AM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
What tests don't show is that because most folks seem obsessed with moving into Union County, there are many schools (particularly in the Weddington area) with heaps of temporary buildings behind the actual school buildings. An article in the paper last month said that there were some schools in Weddington that had more kids in temp buildings than in the building. BUT, they are attempting to build more schools all the time. BUT, the builders also don't stop building either, AND people don't stop moving in. Ditto for the roads in Union County...there's no particular "main" road in UC....a few two lane roads with plans for future expansion.

See the vicious circle?

I live just over the border in South Charlotte, and I'm aghast every morning and afternoon rush hour at the packs of cars crawling out/into UC. In fact, since my house is on the market in South Charlotte, I'm seeing lots of people from UC coming to see my house because the commute for them to get out of UC and onto the 485 hiway to get to work takes 25 minutes on those little roads alone! And then they've still got to get to work. One woman who is showing interest says it takes her 50 minutes to get to her job in uptown (and she's not even very deep into UC--she's in Cureton), and she's sick of it.

So, pluses and minuses to UC for sure in terms of infrastructure overall. Schools, roads, etc.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:57 AM

531 posts, read 2,011,939 times
I have had nothing but great experiences with the UC schools. Since moving here 2 years ago, the teachers have been so good to my family. The teachers seem more friendly and warm towards the students. My son entered kindergarten here well behind his peers and the teachers worked with him and really helped him succeed that first year. He would have never made it out of Kindergarten had we stayed up north!

As for the mobile units that house classes, I may be in the minority here, but I don't mind them. It creates less chance for disruption of the classes. Many times the students are distracted by whats going on in the hallway and this is not the case with the mobile units. They are just as large as a regular room and have everything a regular room has. The only downfall is the students need to go from there to the building to go to the bathroom or other classes.

UC has several schools that they are planning on building to help alleviate the growth that is occuring here. It will take time. Until these schools are built they will have to keep the outbuildings. For a county to experience the amount of growth as we have here, the teachers are doing a remarkable job!

Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 AM

396 posts, read 1,631,165 times
I agree with lisaf about the commuting for sure. My husband has adjusted his schedule to make sure he hits 485 early going in and early coming home.
As for the schools, lisaf is correct there are several schools in UC that are way over capacity and spilling over into portables. On the upside, however, UC is opening a bunch of new schools to alleviate the problem. There shouldn't be the need for them after next year. The kids are very resilient and the teachers do make "portable living" very fun....but we'll all be glad to see them go next year.
Our kids go to the Weddington schools and we couldn't be happier with them. Both the schools themselves and the district offices have been very accommodating and gracious to us newcomers. We are very impressed with the teachers and the principals. We came from a very spendy private school and are thrilled with getting this for free . Good luck with your search....and as I do with every post....I'm reminding you all that there are two great houses on my street waiting for great families!!!! I didn't get Staci...but I'll get someone great

Old 04-15-2007, 12:25 PM

1,304 posts, read 4,322,293 times
Default "Portables"

Quote:
Originally Posted by indraman View Post
As for the schools, lisaf is correct there are several schools in UC that are way over capacity and spilling over into portables. On the upside, however, UC is opening a bunch of new schools to alleviate the problem. There shouldn't be the need for them after next year. The kids are very resilient and the teachers do make "portable living" very fun....but we'll all be glad to see them go next year.

I'm chuckling at the thought that "there shouldn't be the need for them after next year." Because, well, those "portables" are so portable that they just travel around from overcrowded school to overcrowded school. Each time a new school opens, the crowding is alleviated "briefly," but it seems it always comes back, even if it just follows you to the new school.

I agree that the kids are very resilient and the teachers do make the "learning cottage" living fun. My youngest has spent more time in "learning cottages" than inside the building. She still manages to make straight A's, so I'd say it hasn't hurt her academically.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Indr, Im sorry I would have loved to have been your neighbor...if you were closer..LOL....I cant wait to move so we can go for coffee

Old 04-16-2007, 05:07 AM

14 posts, read 31,843 times
Thank you for your replies - I appreciate the help. I am happy to hear that the schools are welcoming to newcomers.

My husband has a flexible schedule with his job, so he will most likely not be traveling during rush hours.

We are looking at the Weddington/Marvin schools. We are taking a trip to NC over Memorial Day weekend to take a look around at the developments.

Indraman, thanks for the offer, but we are not moving until next summer!! I am sure those houses will not be available then If you don't mind me asking, what development are you in??

Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I have checked out the test scores etc, looked at the different aspects of the schools, talked with the EC lady at all of the counties and UC has come up best for me. My daughter has Aspergers Syndrome and I just faxed her IEP to her last week. The mobile units... for me, they are not a big deal, because they are here,just as long as there are teachers to accomodate the students. Now, I have seen a couple of Union County schools that may not be my fav. But.... that doesn't make the whole county bad. My dh and I have agreed that test scores doesn't say it all. As far as the SOLs here in VA I don't think they should even have them. They make them part of the kids grade, a big percentage, and if a child doesn't test well, then they are out of luck. Now, my son tests well, does great on his tests. Just doesn't work out his math problems in math class/homework...cuz Mommy I already know the answer....eeeek. My dd has to take the sols, but they dont count, but we can see how she retains her info. She has an IEP. I stray, I know ... for this forgive me.

All in all, we have based our move on schools, Iredell, Carrabus, Union, etc, we aren't there yet, but have chosen Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: