Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 12:35 PM

184 posts, read 337,988 times

Advertisements

Home Security System Recommendations? The home currently has ADT system installed, I wonder if there are any other options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 12:53 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Luke Kuechly!

Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 PM

184 posts, read 337,988 times
u mean CPI security?

Old 12-13-2015, 07:29 PM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovad View Post
Home Security System Recommendations? The home currently has ADT system installed, I wonder if there are any other options?
How technical are you? If you know your way around AC versus DC and can drill a hole without hitting a pipe in the wall, you can install your own system with an essentially unlimited number of sensors while saving a huge amount of money over the years.

My multiple structure system with dozens of sensors costs about $100 a year total for monitoring. I installed it myself. The one time equipment costs were under $1,000. It would cost a lot less to equip the average home.

Don't believe the lies you will hear from the big name monitoring companies' so called "Security Consultants." They are nothing more than commissioned salesmen that have attended a training session on how to sell alarm systems.

Wireless is not superior to wired, except for the installation difficulty aspect. It is inferior in every other way. If you can, install wired sensors. Where a wired sensor isn't feasible, use wireless. Combination systems are commonplace. Consumer monitoring companies push wireless because it is so much cheaper for them to install their proprietary wireless system than it is to install a quality wired system.

Wireless is subject to interference, jamming, and can be squelched by a knowledgeable thief with the right jamming device. Wireless sensors either require periodic battery replacement or complete sensor replacement when the battery dies. Consumer monitoring companies like to use proprietary sensors that require an expensive service call in order to replace the battery.

Multiple zones (sensors) do not cost more to monitor, but the consumer monitoring companies may say otherwise. Every zone in addition to their basic two or three, will be an additional monthly charge. But the actual effort and expense to the monitoring center is the same for one sensor or one thousand. Put in as many as you need and can afford to purchase when you put your own system in.

Home Security Store: DIY, Alarm Systems, Home Security, Home Automation

Alarm Monitoring Services Only $8.95 per Month from Alarm Relay

I have no business or financial interest in either of the above companies. The Home Security Store is simply one example of an equipment source. I have purchased from them in the past without issue.

I am a long term highly satisfied customer of Alarm Relay's monitoring service.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:43 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
IRIS from Lowe's is a DIY option.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:00 AM

412 posts, read 451,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
IRIS from Lowe's is a DIY option.
IRIS is a home automation system with an alarm function tacked on. It does not provide for professional monitoring, only calling your cell phone. It is in no way comparable to a proper alarm system. Even ADT at their absurd pricing would be superior.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:18 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestArea View Post
IRIS is a home automation system with an alarm function tacked on. It does not provide for professional monitoring, only calling your cell phone. It is in no way comparable to a proper alarm system. Even ADT at their absurd pricing would be superior.

Agreed, it's home security plus home automation, which makes for a better value in my opinion.

Maybe you can help me out. What is "professional" monitoring? Is that where if the alarm is triggered some person working for the alarm company looks at your cameras for an intruder and calls the police/fire if deemed necessary?

I don't really know the statistics on this but how many would-be burglars or home invaders continue with their plan once the alarm is activated, lights automatically turn on and the siren is blaring? I'd think that if any one of the three happened most would exit as quickly as possible? The CPI commercials where the guy is kicking in the door and hanging out in the house after the alarm goes off seems comical to me as thieves are opportunists and getting caught isn't part of the plan.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:02 PM

398 posts, read 984,670 times
If you go CPI or so, make sure you read all the fine print - specially about being "on contract" with them for 60 months, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte